Sony DAV-S500 Review

• Sound Quality

• Ease of Set Up

Andy.'s review of Sony DAV-S500

Sony DAV-S500

“Upgraded..well I thought I was upgrading from my old...”

Written on: 17/12/2002 by Andy. (1 review written)

This system looks great with its sleek curves and stylish cube satellite speakers

upgraded..well I thought I was upgrading from my old Sony dav s300 which I loved, entry level, I agree but hey !..and I have to say , after testing it with what I believe to be the test of tests .. the opening battle scene in Saving Private Ryan, I was gutted by the lack of something which I can't put my finger on, plenty bass, just seems to lack the sound quality of the 300. Also It is almost double the power of the 300 50w pc as opposed to 30wpc with the 300 but you wouldn't know it .. you have to put the volume much higher with the 550. It takes an eternity to load discs, and some come with the subtitles showing which is hacking me off, and the glow in the dark remote .. guess what .. your right .. It doesn't glow. So all in I feel like I've wasted my money. Contacting my dealer this week to see about upgrading to the 880.

General Comments
Upgraded..well I thought I was upgrading from my old Sony dav s300 which I loved, entry level, I agree but hey !..and I have to say, after testing it with what I believe to be the test of tests .. the opening battle scene in Saving Private Ryan, I was gutted by the lack of something which I can't put my finger on, plenty bass, just seems to lack the sound quality of the 300. Also It is almost double the power of the 300 50w pc as opposed to 30wpc with the 300 but you wouldn't know it .. you have to put the volume much higher with the 550. It takes an eternity to load discs, and some come with the subtitles showing which is hacking me off, and the glow in the dark remote .. guess what .. your right .. It doesn't glow. So all in I feel like I've wasted my money. Contacting my dealer this week to see about upgrading to the 880.

Druidvideo.'s Response to 58701_Andy.'s Review

Written on: 19/12/2002

Shame to hear that the s550 wasn't a big improvement over the s300. I used to own an s300 before I moved to London. I am taking delivery of an s550 tommorrow so I will post my review when I have given it a working over.

100624_Mat.'s Response to 58701_Andy.'s Review

Written on: 22/05/2003

I have to say I agree, I upgraded (I thought) from an old yamaha system and am a little gutted!
<br>Still not sure if it's faulty.....I'm assured it's not.

93981_Andy.'s Response to 58701_Andy.'s Review

Written on: 01/05/2003

I bought an 880 in December.. if you can afford it.. buy one.. knocks lumps out of the 550 and the 300

Willanthes.'s Response to 58701_Andy.'s Review

Written on: 28/04/2003

I have also upgraded to a S550 from a S300. I'll have to disagree though as I would say that the sound on the 550 is much better than on on the 300.
<br>
<br>The main reason I upgraded was because I felt the 300 lacked clarity through the centre speaker which made it difficult to hear dialogue when characters were speaking quietly. No such problem with the 550 the dialogue is much clearer and all of the surround sound affects (both 5.1 & DTS) effects are much better.
<br>
<br>All I can say is, if you can afford it (Richer Sounds are doing the 550 for £299 Region 2 / £349-multi region), then upgrade now!