Allan Pease, Barbara Pease, Why Men Don't Listen & Women Can't Read Maps Review

littlemissdrunk's review of Allan Pease, Barbara Pease, Why Men Don't Listen & Women Can't Read Maps

Allan Pease, Barbara Pease, Why Men Don't Listen & Women Can't Read Maps

Allan Pease, Barbara Pease, Why Men Don't Listen &...

Written on: 16/02/2005 by littlemissdrunk (44 reviews written)

Allan Pease, Barbara Pease, Why Men Don't Listen & Women Can't Read Maps - This witty and entertaining book gives you an informed read to help you understand your own and your partner's behaviour. It isn't a dull relationship book, just an easy read that will give you endless hours of conversation!

Written on: 02/04/2005

Please, read scientific data from factual sources and compare what that tells you and what this book tells you. It is not hard to find the scources on the web, however you may be upset to find sources unanimously state that MEN score on average 4 points higher on IQ tests than WOMEN and you will also find a lot of other INTERESTING information. Enjoy searching, these facts are everywhere, you just need to look.

Written on: 07/04/2005

Thankyou. It did work me up a little too much. Perhaps that was the aim.
<br>
<br>(not sure if I have ever seen a book review turn into a forum!) :P

Pixieofdoom's Response to littlemissdrunk's Review

Written on: 07/04/2005

OK, I see your point. But I think you're taking it a little too seriously. It's not real science, I seriously don't think it's intended to be. It's simply meant to make the sad Bridget Joneses of the world feel a little bit better, and to provide amusing dinner party repartee. That's all really. If it weren't this book, you'd be hearing about The Rules or Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus, etc. It does seem a bit wrong that in order to overcompensate for centuries of demeaning women our society has suddenly deemed it ok to start man-bashing in order to even things out, but I would have thought that intelligent people would know how to separate fact from hyperbole and would, as a result, take this book with a grain of salt.

Written on: 05/04/2005

Now you are talking like a man! Well that is the way this book portrays men when they use their vocabulary to condescend the other. I myself have studied music at university and my main focus was performance (violin), so I have a little knowledge of the arts. Have you listened to Mozart’s piano concerto no.20 in D minor K466? I recommend it. However, back on topic, I believe you have been misguided by my comments. Have you actually read this book? If so, you will notice the abundant use of “Scientists now know” or “Statistics prove” etc… I just found this amusing, when they did not state references.
<br>
<br>Please, if you took the book seriously, then you can take me seriously. If however you take the book with a “bowl” full of salt, then I know, you will look at my comments and draw the correct conclusions as to my aim.
<br>
<br>I have a wife. I lover her, and respect her. She is far better at dealing with certain tasks, as am I with others. She is also a teacher, and knows far too well, the damages this type of book can do. YES, it can do damage. Do you want men to feel worthless? Do you want men to feel stupid? Do you want men to feel Lacking or otherwise? I know that I do not want my son to feel this way. And, seeing that you are an intelligent person yourself, I am sure you don’t want the men in your life feeling the same. This book and others like it hurt people. Please, when you read it, put yourself in the shoes of men. I know when I read it, I found I was humiliated. So, I looked up statistics. Read articles in science journals. Etc… I found that a lot of what they said was totally fictitious.
<br>
<br>All I ask is for people to follow up what they read. I for one am sick of hearing FACT sprouted from this book over the dinner table.

Pixieofdoom's Response to littlemissdrunk's Review

Written on: 05/04/2005

It's always nice to see someone making full use of their university education by taking what they think they've learnt and making use of it in an entirely inappropriate manner. The book in question is not meant to be a definitive scientific study of gender difference and biological research. It's a self-help book designed to offer tips and pointers to couples.
<br>
<br>The reviewer referred to your poor spelling and grammar merely to point out that although you were trying to disparage her opinion in an extremely condescending manner you yourself are not above reproach for your own lack of learning.
<br>
<br>I always find it unfortunate that scientists can be so narrow-minded and attached to their facts and their studies where those of us with doctorates in the arts long ago came to understand that a study is only as good as the conditions in which it is conducted, that all research is political in nature and influenced by its surroundings and is, therefore, fallible (see works by both Kuhn and Foucault) so your pronouncements about the relative IQ's of men and women are, essentially, subjective and not worth the paper on which they are written.

Written on: 04/04/2005

Hmmm, you assume I am male with your “hmmm”. I am an undergraduate science student, majoring in software engineering, we often miss-type words. But I did enjoy your comment which overlooked my statements and directed your frustration at me. Ah, you must have found some information while searching that made you feel angst toward me. I came across this link this mourning, so here you go, remember, this is just the tip of the ice burg. Check universities too!
<br>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_test

Smelly Kelly's Response to littlemissdrunk's Review

Written on: 04/04/2005

Mmmmmm, men have a higher IQ hey? Well I'd just to point out that "scources" is actually spelt sources! Suggest you spell check before posting such comments!