The Shining Review

Rocksteady's review of The Shining

The Shining

“I first watched The Shining about 10 years ago and it...”

Written on: 10/02/2005 by Rocksteady (56 reviews written)

Very creepy!

Differs from the book - not a problem as far as I'm concerned but some people may disagree.

General Comments
I first watched The Shining about 10 years ago and it scares me as much now as it did then. The performances of Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duvall are incredible (Jack is over the top but is still believable and his style of acting suits the film perfectly as he descends into madness).

Stanley Kubrick directed this film and I have to say it is a shame he never tried his hand at directing another horror film again as this is superb. This film is different to other horror films in that it doesn't rely on blood and guts to be scary, although there are some moments, it is more creepy - the emptiness of the Hotel, the maze-like halls and the scary little twins (goosebumps!)

I definitely recommend this film although Stephen King was apparently not impressed as it does differ from the book. He even went so far as to help make a TV miniseries more in line with the book - I haven't read the novel or seen the remake though so I cannot really comment on how good they are.

• Jack Nicholson

Starring Actor/Actress