Combro CB-625 Chronograph Review

haggardpete's review of Combro CB-625 Chronograph

“The CB-625 is a compact chronograph designed to be...”

Written on: 01/02/2005 by haggardpete (10 reviews written)

Low cost
Light weight
Compact - take it anywhere

May not be able to mount on some weapons
May be unsuitable for CO2 guns

General Comments
The CB-625 is a compact chronograph designed to be mounted on the muzzle of an air weapon. Its produced by a UK small company and is not always available, though Ramsbottom's came up trumps for me. It has a very simple design, a plastic oblong case about 6cm*4cm*1. 5cm. The pellet passes along the top of the oblong passing through two plastic hoops which contain sensors. The unit has three buttons, one to show Feet-per-second, one to show Foot-pounds and one to re-set for the next shot. Holding the re-set button takes you into set-up mode where you can change pellet weight or enter a +/-velocity correction factor.

The CB-625 comes with a plastic vee bracket which you fix to the end of the barrel with a rubber band! This is not (quite) as heath robinson as it sounds and for most weapons I have tried it works OK. You do have to be careful and check before each shot that the chrono has not moved. Otherwise you will end up shooting the sensors off. For this reason it is not suitable for permanent mounting. According to the manual you MAY be able obtain replacement parts from the manufacturer.

In use the chrono could be used with three of the four guns I tried it with the exception was a spring pistol with a short barrel. It even fit a carbine rifle with integral muzzle brake.

As far as I could tell the power figures shown for a rifle were about spot on. Used with a Co2 pistol I had very strange readings, I suspect the sensor may sometimes read the speed of the Co2 cloud rather than the pellet. Either that or some CO2 pistols require an FAC

To sum up - at half the price of the next alternative I don't regret having satisfied my curiosity. And it is very portable. But if you shoot a lot or want to test a lot of different weapons another design may be a better bet.

Written on: 09/02/2005

I too purchased one of these and it has returned some interesting results using my Weihrauch HW99S.
<br>With Accupells .22 weight 14.4 grains I got a reading of 11.9 ft/lb , with Bisley Pest Control 11.6 ft/lbs BUT and here is the problem, with H & N Hollowpoints I recorded a speed of 668 ft/sec translating to over 15 ft/lbs. I repeated the test and got the same. Has anyone any idea how this could be correct.

Nickhead's Response to haggardpete's Review

Written on: 02/05/2006

You should clean the sensors on the combro periodically. A lot of spent lead is ejected from the bore and this could settle on the sensors. They are very narrow in beamwidth and wouldnt take a lot to \"cloud\" them over.
Nick

One Shot's Response to haggardpete's Review

Written on: 13/04/2006

I have had my 625 mk4 now for around a year - i got mine directly from combro, who manufacture it, along with another bit of kit plus software to connect the chrony to the pc - absolutely brilliant! I use my 625 with my AA 310 PCP and have no probs at all. In response to woodfl's problem, i think either the literature or one of the two guys who made it, did say that problems may arrise if the unit is used with springer type air rifles - due to the recoil? I know you cant use it with powder though.
<br>Hope this helps,
<br>One Shot

Moley61's Response to haggardpete's Review

Written on: 08/10/2005

I agree with the review, it's a marvellous bit of kit. I've had no problems with mine in a year of use, although if you're a hamfisted oaf like me it can be a bit fiddly on the buttons. I use cable ties to attach it as the rubber bands can let it move on a spring rifle which at best gives odd readings and at worst could allow you to shoot the sensors although the manufacturer does advertise a kit to repair exactly this damage.

Woodfl's Response to haggardpete's Review

Written on: 01/05/2005

I used insulating tape because I had to use a small piece of folded tape as a shim to correctly align the infra-red sensors and get a correct reading (before the unit packed up on me), I also feel that this is a safer method of attaching the unit to the barrel end and I had pleanty of tape to hand.
<br>
<br>The rifle being tested was a .22 HW90K (not FAC)
<br>
<br>I've since received a full refund for the defective unit from JSR no problem :-)

Written on: 28/04/2005

What air rifle did you try it on and why are you using insulating tape as the elastic bands are a much better idea. There are lugs on the combo to accomodate these and I found it worked well and gave consistent results with a Webley Excel and a Weihrauch HW99S.

Woodfl's Response to haggardpete's Review

Written on: 26/04/2005

Got a brand new CB-625 MkIV version from JS Ramsbottom, used insulating (plastic) tape to attach to rifle barrel (with careful parallel / straight alignment with pellet path exiting the mussle).
<br>
<br>Used it successfully on the 1st 3 occasions (3 x 14 shots) but then the 'cloud' on the lcd display indicating blocked/dirty/malfunctioning infra red beam sensor would not go out, causing the unit to present unreliable data.
<br>
<br>I have sent item back to JSR and have asked for a refund :-(
<br>
<br>Conclusion: I don't think this unit is up to the rigors of testing recoiling air rifles!
<br>
<br>I hope to be able to get a 'Chrony'chronograph in the near future - which is more expensive and looks like it should be on Dr Who! but is freestanding and not subjected to recoil/shock from the rifle/pistol being tested.

Superduke's Response to haggardpete's Review

Written on: 07/03/2005

I bought a Combro last week and it shows that the longer the barrel is on a Co2 pistol,the greater the velocity achieved.So a 8 inch S+W 586/ 686 is much quicker than the 4 inch.Good review!

Written on: 16/02/2005

Pete , you are absolutely correct. I got the weight for the H & N Hollowpoints from 2 different sources and both said 15.7 grains. It finally dawned on me that they must both be wrong so I checked on H & N's German website and lo and behold they gave it as 12.65 grains. Some difference and I thought I had discovered the Holy Grail of high performance pellets. In fairness both Uttings and Extorian changed their website immediately I informed them, see links
<br>http://www.extorian.co.uk/shooting/pellets.html
<br>https://secweb1.pipemedia.net/uttings/accessories/pellets.html
<br>Thanks for coming back to me anyway and I rate the Combro very highly.

Haggardpete's Response to haggardpete's Review

Written on: 15/02/2005

H&N hollow points are exceptionally light and weigh (in theory) 12.78 grains. So at 12 foot pounds would be travelling at 650 FPS. Assuming the weight of the pellet is correct this would put you at 12.68 foot pounds. However I suspect you have light pellets. You can change the default pellet weight of 15 grains by going into the set-up on your combro.
<br>
<br>For pellet weight and energy calculations take a look at a freeware software package called AGPower.
<br>Hope this helps. Pete