Beretta AL 391 Extrema Review

65dogs's review of Beretta AL 391 Extrema

Beretta AL 391 Extrema - This autoloader is in the top...”

Written on: 27/01/2005 by 65dogs (5 reviews written)

Reliable, low recoil, comes with 5 choke tubes

First ones had a problem with the trigger (it has been updated)

General Comments
Beretta AL 391 Extrema - This autoloader is in the top of the pack for functional hunting guns. I shot ducks for 2 full seasons without having any malfunctions, and without cleaning the shotgun. That is an amazing amount of neglect tolerated by an auto loader. I cleaned it and experienced a minor problem but after oiling it a second time, it performed flawlessly this year as well.

The gas system reduces recoil substantially. The gun swings well in the field but is a touch heavy. The sling, (mounts included but you have to mount the rear stud) is a useful accessory if you are a duck hunter who would like to shoulder the gun while setting out decoys. Watch the sling adjustment because if it can get looped around the action it will cause a miss feed (yeah, I have had a few oops but no fault of the gun).

I have shot everything from very light target loads to 3 " Mags without a problem. To date I would estimate malfunctions to total about 3 and those were due to forgetting to hit it with a light spray of tri-flow oil while hunting in temps of 10F. While I'm at it, Tri-Flow can be obtained from any lock smith and most auto parts stores and is a great gun oil.

All in all, a great waterfowl auto.

I had a friend buy one on my recommendation and his Black Eagle is now a back-up or loaner gun. And the Black Eagle is a fine auto in it's own right.

194946_Vkotsev's Response to 65dogs's Review

Written on: 26/05/2005

Speaking of malfuctioning (?!?!) my father and I have used a 12 caliber side-by-side Krupp Sauer for the last 50+ years and the only fault I made was breaking of the right needle as a result of numerous dry firings with no empty cartridge to cushion the hit of the spring...
<br>Does anybody know some one makig a 12/76 side by side barrels with an optic sight base? I would prefer that to anything else - that is - to have two barrels with two seperate triggers. This is the ultimate reliability I can dream of, and yet gives the poor game some chance, increases the requirements for quick and precise aiming, knowing that I only have 2 (TWO) shells... On the other hand having an optic sight and a proper choke (1 mm) would enable me to use e.g. the 'partition' shells which reportedly can make a very small group of 5 bullets in a 110 mm diameter circle at more than 150 meters!!!