Matsui DA-1 Review

• Sound Quality

Sony Fan's review of Matsui DA-1

Matsui DA-1

“The Matsui DA-1 is a great way of getting into DAB...”

Written on: 24/01/2005 by Sony Fan (32 reviews written)

Cheap
Easy to use
Clear reception

Display hard to read

General Comments
The Matsui DA-1 is a great way of getting into DAB radio at minimal financial risk.

The product concept is very simple - it's a digital tuner that plugs into your existing stereo and allows you to access DAB radio.

There's no built-in amp or speakers so you have to a stereo with line-inputs already but if like me you have more than one of these in your home the Matsui is surprisingly portable. This is due to its small size, low weight and the fact that the aerial is just a piece of plastic coated wire. I regularly swap my DAB tuner between the micro hi-fi in my kitchen and the separates I have in my lounge, and it only takes 30 seconds or so to disconnect or reconnect.

Reception is excellent. Despite the primitive looking antenna it receives all the DAB channels for my area, whichever room I have it set up in.

The sound quality you get will depend partly on what you plug it into but in my case I'm entirely happy that I'm hearing much better results than I would from any of the portable DAB radios that I've listened to.

Setting-up was very easy because the DAB-1 automatically scans for available channels when you first plug it in and the instructions for storing favourites on the number keys of the remote were very easy to follow.

Using it day-to-day is just a case of pressing the red button on the remote to switch it on and pressing a channel number if you want to change stations so it's the sort of product I could really recommend to anyone.

My one criticism of this tuner is that although the display is very useful it's hard to read unless you are very close and looking at the right angle. But that is a minor quibble and I'm very happy with the product overall.

• Sound Quality