Robson Waikiki Expedition Canoe Review

Spirito473's review of Robson Waikiki Expedition Canoe

“In the touring kayak category, there are so many boats...”

Written on: 12/01/2005 by Spirito473 (9 reviews written)

Tracking, Stability, Versatility, Size, Quality, Accommodation, Specification

Weight, and weight, did I mention weight?

General Comments
In the touring kayak category, there are so many boats to list that I could be here all day. I purchased my Waikiki last year when I was after a large, stable boat that would serve a range of purposes. The reason I chose this boat was because of the huge amounts of positive info I had heard on the craft. I was not disappointed. Having used the Robson on lowland rivers (upto and including grade 1 water), choppy lakes, canals, coastal waters, mild surf and so on, I am just so amazed at the range of talents this boat has. It tracks deadly straight (even without the standard fit skeg deployed), it is so stable no matter what the conditions it never ever feels hairy. The build quality is excellent throughout, just sitting in the boat makes you feel safe. The Expedition outfitting is generous, with a large comfy seat, foot rests, drop down skeg, rear touring hatch and so on. The cockpit is what might be described as enormous, making entry and exit childs play (note - cockpit so huge, small children get swallowed up never to be seen again). The whole boat though is enormous. Which leads onto it's achilles heel - the weight of the thing. Getting it on car roof bars can be, shall we say, challenging for the solo paddler, but not impossible it has to be said. Of course this weight translates again to it's superb stability - making it an ideal platform for photography, fishing and so on. At £399 that I paid for the full spec version it is exceptional value for money. I really cannot rate this boat highly enough, but the most amazing thing has to be that for a tourer, it's range of talents is marvellous and it's capability to surf well (which is huge fun in this boat) is amazing. Step aside Acadia, Blackwater and everything else, this dog has the bone. Well done Robson

Joekelly's Response to Spirito473's Review

Written on: 27/11/2006

You're not a sales man are you? I do like the idea of a not so big a tourer; usually the smaller boats like the Robson Waikiki Expedition Canoe don't get a good write up, but there's always the one.

Joekelly's Response to Spirito473's Review

Written on: 27/03/2010

I found this review very helpful because...its good to hear someone excited about their kayak,, id like to know how often you use it in the surf,,i plan on taking one to scotland , maybe do some sea adventuring,,,, any info welcome,,