Sony DAV-S880 Review

• Sound Quality

• Ease of Set Up

stevie d..'s review of Sony DAV-S880

Sony DAV-S880

“I bought the dav880 to replace my old sony stld system...”

Written on: 29/11/2002 by stevie d.. (1 review written)

Good looking, slimline, tremendous sound, easily connected together, easy to use, reasonably priced.

poor speaker cable, poor speaker connections for price.

General Comments
I bought the dav880 to replace my old sony stld system and wasn't disappointed. It looks great, with great sound and pictures. I had new gold connections fitted and they make a difference. I was a bit cheesed off at the poor quality speaker cables but despite these the sound is still good.(try the Eagles dvd,Hell Freezes Over).Overall an excellent buy.

58438_Aacm.'s Response to stevie d..'s Review

Written on: 16/12/2002

How can I replace the cables?

91755_Stuart Anderton.'s Response to stevie d..'s Review

Written on: 24/04/2003

Re: Simon's questions.
<br>
<br>It is certainly true that the manual is less than helpful if you are used to a SCART environment.
<br>
<br>Simon, what you need to get are cables which have the connectors for the Sony at one end (ie, phonos or S-Video miniDINs) and SCARTs at the other. These cables are usually directional so make sure you get the right ones (ie, S-Video DIN to SCART for the TV connection, which must go into a S-Video aware SCART on the TV - check the TV manual but usually SCART 2), SCART to phono for the Sky box, and a fully wired 6 phono to SCART for the VCR)

76821_Andy.'s Response to stevie d..'s Review

Written on: 02/03/2003

Gold speaker connectors and high quality speaker cable are available from monster cable www.monstercable.com they are called hcib. You get cable pre-terminated with gold connectors for all 6 speakers, 6 gold plated adapters so that you can plug them in to the DAV-S880 and a scart cable. The kit is not cheap at £99.00 but it makes a big difference in sound quality especially bass & in the rear speakers. The only downside is the connectors stick out of the bottom of the speakers, causing the speakers to lean, I got around this though by using speaker spikes to raise the speakers up.

Simon Wilson.'s Response to stevie d..'s Review

Written on: 01/03/2003

I have all Philips units 32" TV £1200.00 High spec Video & Panasonic Sat Digi box... Could someone help me !!! How do I wire it up I am so totally confused they explain in just 2 pages 22&23 how to wire up component video Y,Pb/Cb /Ca,Pr/Cr what does it mean two tiny block at the back of the book as clear as mud I havent a clue !!! Quote " When using S video jack instead of video jacks Your TV monitor must also be connected via an s video jack I HAVE ONE ON THE FRONT so I have no monitor Jack on my tv & no s video without hanging a cable down the front I know it must be fairly easy But you dont say how. I feel you take it for granted every one is up to speed with these new products.... I own loads of Sony products My DCR-PC110E digital Camara is fine I know it inside out because the Manual explains it fully I quote
<br>" page 23 Connect the digital satellite receiver to the VIDEO IN and AUDIO IN L/R jacks only of the system" I have no Video in to plug in the Tv monitor cable so what do I do I have a Philips 32PW9616/05R Natural Motion TV it has 4 scarts, left & right front & rear Speaker plugs, Coaxial digital line in, Wireless Surround, Sub woofer output ... so it a good TV £ 1200.00 but no where to plug in TV monitor same page your Diagram shows the s880 with video,right,& Left, Line in & out My video only has line out
<br>I,m really fed up

76339_Ramon.'s Response to stevie d..'s Review

Written on: 28/02/2003

Same as above, would be interested in how the gold contact were applied and recommended cable type/product

Hifi Man.'s Response to stevie d..'s Review

Written on: 22/01/2003

If you have a plasma or componant tv (best) just plug in your componant wire from dvd to tv like me i dont have plasma so if you want to improve your picture use an S-Video to Scart (135av) for picture and a pair of Gamma Geometry™ audio interconnects (1002 or 1014) for improved sound. (135av)(s-video - scart)picture option (1002 or 1014)( rca - rca)sound from your tv
the reason this dvd hasn't got any scart socket is because information from a scart(av) is shared audio/video(av) this a very easy and basic way form of conection (not that impresive though)so don't be disapointed because it doesn't have scart. A better way of connecting is seperating the information altogether S-video lead just take the images to the tv rca for the sound I would use either monster cable or straightwire these are best gold plated wires and cost between £25-£60 each if you want pure gold it would cost you even more 100's it also depends on length

66927_Jamie.'s Response to stevie d..'s Review

Written on: 21/01/2003

Could you let me know also how you put the gold connectors on and where to buy them.
Cheers :-)

59219_Alexander.'s Response to stevie d..'s Review

Written on: 19/12/2002

Please share your experience on fitting the gold connectors! I have the same problem.