Orange SPV Review

• Reception

• Style

Martin Gardner.'s review of Orange SPV

Orange SPV

“Well I was pretty well impressed !! Took a couple of...”

Written on: 29/11/2002 by Martin Gardner. (1 review written)

Ringtone heaven the best ringtones ever! Not prehistoric polyphonic. Speaker phone. Voice Memo Power Point Viewer Multi Media WOW. Games brill cannot wait for next new one. IA Album Photos Active Sync

MMmmmmmmmm!! let me think Oh yeah keypad a little small. Does freeze for a couple of seconds, but we are talking computers now not just a telephone! It does have to load stuff. Couldn't find function to swap sim card memory. I like leather but the case gives protection but not practicality.

General Comments
Well I was pretty well impressed !!
Took a couple of days to learn all the features and how to use them unlike the other two reviewers! They said the ring tones was poor and the sound not loud THEN CHANGE YOUR SETTINGS DUHH!. Once you have set up active sync which was I must say easier to download from microsft than the disc, you can open up your phone file and drag and drop .wav or .midi files direct onto your phone WOW hifi sound or what, I have a 15 sec clip from star wars film in the bar with OB-1 talking on my ringtone, impress your friend or what. Yes other reviewer you can download background for your phone just connect to dowloads on screen, and for backlight change settings to an length. Photos are great using proper lighting, even though it's not too practical to take with you. Gaming is definatley on a different level, check micrsoft site to see whats to come. Power charge cord handy, give ability to charge while sycrinised to computer in its holder. Microst multi media still playing with looks fantastic but must copy across only licensed music from window media player. Contact list is more advanced, which is fine when get to use it. Web browsing wap. & www. opens up many possibilities in the future. Set my email settings from properties on my explorer and hey presto I can pick up my emails direct to my phone text only. Got to go having fun with my ringtones, probably find some other uses very soon !!!! for £50 I got a BARGAIN.

• Reception

• Style

55864_Struvs.'s Response to Martin Gardner.'s Review

Written on: 05/12/2002

WHERE DID U GET THIS FONE FOR £50?!?!?!

66017_Martin Gardner.'s Response to Martin Gardner.'s Review

Written on: 17/01/2003

Hi just to comment on your last message about a Beta program. With my SPV SD card ther is a program on their called IA Album which will do all the functions you mention ie backgrounds, pictures etc it also allows you to view, spin zoom any pictures you take by the camera or copied from desktop to anywhere on your SPV using active sync. IA Album will search you phone for all pic automatically. It is only a trial program so when it finishes you can purchase it. Great for customising your background and MMS messages. By the way will anyone send me any great .wav file to mlmeurope@eezenet.com and i will send you what i have too . ;-)

Gordo.'s Response to Martin Gardner.'s Review

Written on: 15/01/2003

If you go to http://www.ebuyer.com you will find 512mb SD cards. However I am not sure whether the phone supports larger than 256mb. According to Microsoft, the largest is 256mb but that was written in May last year and may not be completely accurate.
If anyone is wanting to test a beta application I am writing that will alow you to easily customise your home screen/profiles sounds, and backgrounds from your PC then email me (spv.configurator@dsl.pipex.net) and I will send you a copy. It should be ready for testing in about two - three weeks.

64498_Martin Gardner.'s Response to Martin Gardner.'s Review

Written on: 11/01/2003

Hi Dicky it's a whole New .Wav World Mate. When you purchase the phone you should have got a leather case for it, for your belt. Keeps it protected but you have to remove the case to use the phone?? Like a cowboy going for his gun lol !!
Hey if you have any smart .wav files email me them so I can try them and visa versa..
mlmeurope@eezenet.com snd me your .wav files B-)

63855_Dicky.'s Response to Martin Gardner.'s Review

Written on: 09/01/2003

Top advice. Thanx for pointing me in the right direction. My phone is now wav-tastic! By the way, I've yet to track down a decent case to protect the big screen. Any suggestions?

63424_Martin Gardner.'s Response to Martin Gardner.'s Review

Written on: 08/01/2003

Ringtone heaven !! First you need to set up Active Sync 3.6 once loaded plug in your phone an open your phone folders and find the sounds folder if not got one the create one but, I wont got into to detail because you can log onto www.microsoft.com/mobile/smartphone/default.asp and you will be able to find out and print off the directions on how to do it.
Remember the .wav file can be quite big upto 1.5mb for the fancy ones so only put on or two on your phone at the same time otherwise you will slow down your phone !! You can always create a new folder on your desktop and save your .wav files there until you want to swap them, or you can get a bigger SD CARD the cheapest on I have seen is a 256 MB SD card for less than £100 including shipping, log on to www.pricegrabber.com search sd cards and it will list all suppliers and prices. Last note .wav files you can either copy cd music and convert through your burner software any .wav file ? Or you can search your hard drive with the search facility for .wav file beleive me their is loads of stuff or for movies,tv, theme tunes viist www.wavecentral.com See you soon !!!!! ;-}

62986_Billy The Dad.'s Response to Martin Gardner.'s Review

Written on: 06/01/2003

I found that you have to create the sounds folder yourself, calling it 'sounds' and then copy the sound files into there.
Anyone know any good sites for music wav files?

62836_Dicky.'s Response to Martin Gardner.'s Review

Written on: 06/01/2003

I've just got my SPV, not as cheap as you did but I'm still v happy with it - a top phone. One point, when trying to load .wav files to the directory mentioned in the manual with the active synch explorer, I don't appear to have the ..\IPSM\APPLICATION DATA\SOUNDS folder? I've tried dragging .wavs into the windows folder with the other sound files, but no joy when trying to use them as ringtones? Could you give a quick pointer on how you got your Star Wars one to work?

62196_Barry.'s Response to Martin Gardner.'s Review

Written on: 02/01/2003

Check out www.avrmobiles.co.uk - they are doing them free on some tariffs and also had plenty in stock!

59339_Martin Gardner.'s Response to Martin Gardner.'s Review

Written on: 20/12/2002

With alot of these price plans you pay it back in your monthly payments. I not sure if you can still get Orange Everyday 50 which I am on, you get 50 free mins every evening to landlines and then its 1p per min off peak for £15 a month. I also through the day Orange charge about 35p but I can dial off to the landline network with an 0800 number which is free on Orange and it only costs me 5.3p per min peak rate ! You can email me on mlmeurope@eezenet.com

58963_Rob.'s Response to Martin Gardner.'s Review

Written on: 18/12/2002

Cough...mine was free with OVP(Orange Value Plan)200. www.mobileshop.com.

Adiem.'s Response to Martin Gardner.'s Review

Written on: 18/12/2002

Carphonewarehouse will pricematch, I got my SPV on 120 minutes new contract for £30.00, I just quoted Smalltalk website......

58625_Coop.'s Response to Martin Gardner.'s Review

Written on: 17/12/2002

check www.smalltalk.co.uk , you can get the SPV here from free!!!!

58541_Em.'s Response to Martin Gardner.'s Review

Written on: 17/12/2002

I haven't bought mine yet but you can get £50 off when you exchange your old phone with car Phone Warehouse, making it £49.99, which is what I'm intending to do.

58457_Martin Gardner.'s Response to Martin Gardner.'s Review

Written on: 16/12/2002

Hello reply to your message as regards phone for £50 it's no big secret. I upgraded my orange phone Nokia 7110 as I was out of 12 month contract on everyday 50 for FREE (NO UPGRADE FEE) The upgrade is £99 through their system but on their paperwork they have a base line of £50 but they don't tell you that, so you ask them a few questions about the phone sounding quite unsure whether you should go for it or not. Then considering that they are really trying to push this phone tell them you would really like one and you have been a loyal cutomer for ? long and that all my friends was asking me to show me the phone once I had got it, Hey presto £50 phone, then bought an upgrade pack for £17 from them. Not realising my partner had just bought one for a £5 THEN SOLD MY OLD PHONE AS PAY AS U GO FOR £50 so you could say it cost my £17.63 to be precise. Any questions or you would like to share tips email mlmeurope@eezenet.com

58370_Jonboy.'s Response to Martin Gardner.'s Review

Written on: 16/12/2002

I quite agree, Orange's lowest price is £99.99 on an expensive price plan. I'm very interested to know where you got this for £50 because I had 2 of these stolen 2 weeks ago!!