Orange SPV Review

• Reception

• Style

tomesy.'s review of Orange SPV

Orange SPV

“I've had the SPV a few days now and in general I'm...”

Written on: 28/11/2002 by tomesy. (1 review written)

Features, Expandability, Screen, Free Camera, GRPS Deal

Battery life

General Comments
I've had the SPV a few days now and in general I'm really pleased with it. I've added a 128 MB SD card which has allowed me to store 3 albums worth of MP3's and has room left for numerous pictures. (The phone comes with an 8MB card which is only really useful for storing photo's). The sound quality isn't bad at all through the supplied hands-free headphones (although I didn't find them the snuggest fit - probably my ears).
The look and feel of the phone is excellent, although the keypad maybe a bit small for people with larger fingers. The Microsoft OS performs generally well, although it can slow down a bit on occasions. Generally though this isn't when doing the more "phone" type things such as texting and making calls.
I've taken the Orange £6 GRPS package, which is really good value, although the phone occasionally seems to not want to use GRPS, even when is says its available.
The supplied rebound game looks excellent, but isn't that playable (mainly down to the controls on the small keypad).
Network reception and call quality seem pretty average, but certainly arn't bad. Internet connection is slow but nearly all standard sites seem to be available. The only website I seem unable to connect to at the moment is Hotmail. Annoying as checking hotmail on the move was one of the main reasons for choosing this phone. However, with the "over the air" updates, any bugs like this may hopefully be fixed before too long. Overall, I'd say if your looking for a phone that's rich in features and expandability, there's no other phones on the market like this one. Just be prepared for the odd "idiosyncrasy" associated with new technology.

• Reception

• Style

54498_Dbrook.'s Response to 54179_tomesy.'s Review

Written on: 29/11/2002

How much battery life / talk time / standby time do you actually get?
...shame there's no in-car charger for it.
..and a case that allows you to use the phone whilst the phone is in the case.

113585_Derek.'s Response to 54179_tomesy.'s Review

Written on: 06/07/2003

To access hotmail....you need to use the mobile version of the site. It might be this one http://mobile.msn.com/Default.aspx or it might be http://www.hotmail.com/mobile I cant remember, but it is possible.

Shekel.'s Response to 54179_tomesy.'s Review

Written on: 20/01/2003

Hey, with the MP3 player on the SPV, Windows Media Player; does it play Playlist files too like the full version of Media Player?

Immy Z.'s Response to 54179_tomesy.'s Review

Written on: 01/01/2003

hi there.. jus wonderin how u managed to figure out hotmail as i'd really like to be able to access it on the move using my spv.. thanx

58378_Tomesy.'s Response to 54179_tomesy.'s Review

Written on: 16/12/2002

Got the SD Card from camera shop on London Bridge. Jessops sell them as well but were a little pricy. Battery seems to last two days if the useage is low. If I use it alot (calls, GPRS, games) I can only get a day out of it.
Figured out Hotmail now - GPRS seems to have settled down to.
Still really happy with the phone.

57267_Wire.'s Response to 54179_tomesy.'s Review

Written on: 11/12/2002

hey y'all,
The SPV seems to have many mixed reviews, but I'm still going to have to get one, thats if I can get my hands on one !! Just a quick question though, where abouts did you buy your 128mb sd card??? I've got a Siemens SL45 which uses a 32MB MMC card but I dont know where to purchase one for when I get my SPV???
Cheers, CW