Air Arms 410E Review

• Accuracy

• Handling

Alan in GA.'s review of Air Arms 410E

“I have had hundreds of airguns as I repaired them for...”

Written on: 26/11/2002 by Alan in GA. (1 review written)

Quiet, powerful, accurate, looks great, quick repeat shots without fumbling for pellets [has magazine that works well], no added mod look on muzzle [for areas where a 'mod' possibly not legal]

Although a glutton for power, the E version is a bit long and makes me think the shorter 'classic' version would be as desirable as the 'E' version. I still like the E best for my purposes [exterminator of pigeons, rats].

General Comments
I have had hundreds of airguns as I repaired them for others for several years as a hobby. Being a certified diver I also happen to have 4 scuba tanks in the shop so a PCP gun was inevitable. I have had 5 other guns that have been purchased, played with [tested] and sold. This AA410E seemed to be the rifle that would be 'perfect' for me, and after only a couple of weeks I still love to take it out and test [ok, play...]with it. It IS quiet enough to allow back yard targeting. One MIGHT want the next shorter version, the Classic, for a more compact rifle. I would strongly advise testing both before buying if you can [ok, I know this is impossible for most-and I had no one/where to handle them either].
After owning a Daystate Huntsman II [50+ft/lb version], a Career Carbine, a Career Tanker, a Talon SS, and a-hmmmm, maybe I've only had 4...
I can say this AA410E in .22 is the best power for me combined with looks, accuracy, and the quietness needed to actually be able to shoot in the backyard. Believe it or not, I could not use the Daystate I had because it was TOO powerful at 50+ ft/lbs tune because it got only 20 or so shots at that state of tune. A BIG thing was that it was too loud even with the Airstream Mod on the barrel which also made that rifle very long.
I highly recommend the AA410 in either Classic or 'E' version.

• Accuracy

• Handling

53736_Mochamanz.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 26/11/2002

I love the AA 410E except for the magazine cover problem and the fact that AA does not make parts quickly enough. A serious flaw in the FAC version of this rifle is that the magazine "window" blows apart on some rifles. This makes me think about quality considerations as I know that the 10 shot capability is an add on feature of the design, that is to say that the rifle was originally a single shot system. A better engineering improvement would be to make the back of the magazine metal with a slot opening with which to veiw the load status of the magazine. The clear plastic is a weak point as far as quality and durability is concerned. I have spoken with the dealer I purchased the rifle from and I found out there are numerous incidents of shattering magazine covers. This diminishes the appeal of shooting the rifle. But otherwise the rifle is powerful and accurate, although the action is stiff, but may be so due to newness.

Pelleteer's Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 24/05/2004

I would imagine the reason the British market doesn't care about the power mod is due to the fact that most of them are shooting at the strict 12ftlb limit. After reading British magazines having an adjustment that might go over the limit is a great legal liability and so why spend the extra effort to cause a legal headache. And if you're only shooting at < 12 ft.lb. why would you want to adjust your gun to shoot lower unless you were shooting 10m.

Xtrmn8Tr's Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 17/04/2004

The power mod from steve @ pamona air guns consists of modifing the existing valve air channel (as in machineing and modifying...hence the phrase power mod---get it?) with a needle valve that is tapered...adjustment range for this needle is typically from all the way in (lightly seated...meaning with only two fingers...thumb and point finger......not cranked tight) to 3 turns out...each 1/4 turn produces approx. 1 ft. lbs. which = 4 ft.lbs per turn for a total of approx. 12 ft.lbs....guns ussually get shipped to the owner with a setting of approx. 20 ft. lbs of energy...needle turned all the way in...if you choose three turns out you end up with approx 32 ft. lbs....the biggest reason for this power mod is the fact that the owner can dial in (for accuracy) the exact amount of velocity to match practically any pellet on the market...a rifle with out this modification means the owner must experiment with all kinds of different pellet weights and styles till he finds a combination that is accurate and in the case of the S410E he'll probably end up using heavy pellets only...because with out the power mod you are locked in to only 1 power setting...where as the guy with the power mod can use light "el cheapo "pellets if he chooses and turn the velocity needle in (slower fps.)and end up using less volume of air...as in less psi drop per shot taken and still have great accuracy (just takes a little trial and error experimentation )...this end of the power spectrum is great for casual plinking of your deck or just shooting to have some fun with your buddies...or you can crank up the velocity and switch to heavier pellets and do some very serious pest removal...or anything in between...KOOL!...would'nt you agree...point is guys you have the Ultimate in ... versatility ... power ... and economy...add all this to the fact that the air arms s410e is resonable in price ...accurate...powerful...economical...looks good ...handles well...is very quiet...it's not hard to see why it is one of the biggest reviews on this site, as well as one of the most popular pcp rifles around...L8tr...Xtrmn8tr

Pelleteer's Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 30/03/2004

Great thread going here!! I have two 410E's - one in each caliber. .177 in Beech and .22 in Thumbhole Walnut. Both have the powermod and I've had these guns since late 2000/early 2001.
<br>I've had no issues with my AA original magazines in either caliber - I have 6 total including 2 new metal ones. The metal ones are nice but since I didn't have any issues with the regular ones they are both fine. We shoot in southwestern Idaho in the desert and there is alot of sand and grit blowing in the springtime. Our guns and quick connects get the test of sandy desert conditions with 100+ degree weather in the summer and sub zero conditions in the winter. During the last 2 years we shot almost every weekend year round both Sat and Sun on average. We have sat in the rain in Starling Blinds where I cracked my stock due to water damage. I have now oiled it and refinished it. I didn't realize how thin the finish was.
<br>I blew out the baffles on my .22 this winter by leaning the shroud up against a board while shooting - my fault and have installed the replacements.
<br>I broke the magazine index finger at about 10,000 rounds on the .177 which my dealer quickly replaced. I wore out the seals on both my guns at 10,000 and have replaced them with Viton 75D since I lube my pellets.
<br>My power mod has been set to shoot .177 Exacts at 900 for a while now giving 60 shots. The .22 is set to 850 with JSB Exacts giving 40 shots both on standard 190-150 Bar fills according to the guage on my guns. I quit shooting indoors last fall when the cats moved in so I don't change the power around anymore. I used to change almost daily during spring/summer for the last 2 years when shooting in the field and returning home to shoot indoors. I would also experiment with new pellets/weights to determine velocity and number of shots. When new pellets come out like the new JSB 10.3 its fun to see where to dial in for them to maximize speed vs. number of shots. I have not noticed any appreciable wear on the threads or screw. The operation is quick and easy to return to the field/target settings based on 1/2 turn increments and no change of my scope settings were required. Sounds like everyone else is using this convention/standard as well to measure the flow/velocity.
<br>So, given all the other repeaters out there on the market now and the price I would again buy the 410E with Power Mod in both calibers cause its a total package with adjustable power on the fly and decent capacities both air and magazine.
<br>I am impressed by the sheer number of 410E users out there. I am also glad to hear there are no real heavy 410E issues out there. Given the number of posters and reports you can kind of get a pretty good statistical picture of the quality of this rifle.

Mochamanz's Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 26/03/2004

Hi everybody ! I guess the power mod controversy has run its course... I am very happy that a metal magazine has become available recently. I still shoot with commanding power and authority with my unmodified 410E. Now a scientific inquiry is pushing me to ask if anyone is having any problems with the power Mod.
<br>I am Still extemely Happy with mine as is...:)

121145_Daytrader.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 03/08/2003

I've been looking for a good price on a used 410 carbine or classic but I haven't seen any good values unless they are unshrouded. The prices have been very high for used guns and none of them have the powermod on them. Now that I've got a 410E with a powermod I won't buy another 410 without one. Still wish they had a safety!!

120537_Meister Jaeger.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 31/07/2003

I finally nailed a used 410 Carbine and a classic w/walnut stock to add to my collection both used in excellent condition. They were both great deals bought by impulse buyers who quickly got tired of PCP's and pumping by hand. The owner of the carbine wasn't informed by the dealer and didn't even know he had to have a special high pressure pump. The gun was shipped with about 150 bar and was at 80 when I received it so there wasn't many shots fired through it. I haven't had time to set up my chrony and get some strings going but I'll soon do this for both new rifles. I don't see any reason to get a Classic if you've already got an E but the carbine is a fun little gun that I would buy again in a heartbeat. Both are in .22 cal by the way. I was hoping for a .177 carbine and am still on the lookout for a used one. Aside from not getting a powermod buying used is a fantastic way of shaving a few hundred off the gun price! I've got 6 410 variants now and can leverage the magazines and spare parts. I am hiding the carbine since my sons are asking for it every time they head to the range or to the woods. I may have to get another one soon!

119589_Spatterson.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 28/07/2003

DNAdoc, can you give us some numbers from your Carbine? Is it in .177 or .22? Also is it shrouded? Does it have the power mod? I've been told I should get a 410E in .177 but I'd like to see how many shots you get in the carbine and what the velocity ranges are. You're the only guy I've seen talking about having all 3 410's here. What calibers are they and are they all shrouded and with power mod?? Thanks for all the help - I started reading your posts about 6 months after I bought my 410E. I was also reading the reveiw from Sgt. York as well!! It was good to hear from others with the same gun... I started experimenting with velocities and getting more shots after reading your reviews and comments.
<br>My breech seal did wear out and the sound was really loud in the bolt area so I threw in a new seal and its good as new.

119569_Ghandy.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 28/07/2003

I love my 410E which I bought a few weeks ago second hand - my brother in law who lives in Peoria, Ill has one with the power mod and I got a chance to shoot it over the July 4th weekend. I need to get mine converted so I can shoot low powered in the basement. As for the question of does AA know about the power mod?? I am told they sure do and that they've sent over a few guns to have this done for customers. But since only one dealer in the US is doing the power mod and he's outselling the rest by a huge margin they can't say a word about it as a manufacturer - they can't sanction it cause the other dealers would complain. My bro has an AA 310 which has a factory power mod on it but it doesn't have much of a range to it. As a few have mentioned, I don't think the British market wants the factory power mod so we won't get it either. I love this rifle!!

118898_Dnadoc.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 25/07/2003

Boys, the 410 carbine and the classic are both great! I can recommend all 3 but truthfully I mainly shoot the E when I walk or hunt longrange cause of the shot capacity or the carbine when shooting out the car window or from a blind due to its handy short length (when legal off road at chucks). The classic truthfully I haven't shot much but only because I don't have much time lately. I don't see a ton of difference between the balance of the E and the Classic but would never part with the carbine or the E. I'll never part with the Classic either or settle for just a Classic alone!! So, I guess what I'm trying to say is if you already have an E - then just buy a carbine and you'll have it all covered. But if you have extra $$ you might as well get a Classic with powermod.
<br>I'm glad to see the 410E so popular - I've bought a BSA S-10, Daystate SE, Harrier PH6, several FX's Cyclone, Viper and Falcon FN-19, FN-12 in the last few months and I still only shoot the 410's mostly. The AA magazines (as bad of experience as some are having with them) are still tons better than any of the others (BSA and Falcon) in my opinion except for the FX mags which are OK and cheap to replace. I do like my .22 Tarantula but its had a broken valve now since February and I've not gotten around to sending it in. Seems like I've been reading alot about this valve issue lately, I remember my friend in Hawaii having the same thing happen last year!!
<br>My next gun is going to be a Theoben Rapid and I'll probably keep the 410's and sell the other guns back to my boss and buy a Rapid in .177 and .22. I've also got my eye on a Styer from Airguns Only in Canada. Great place to buy .22 and .177 JSB Dome pellets by the case too.

118880_Alan In Ga.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

My summation [sp?]
<br>AA should consider doing the power mod at the factory. I wonder if they've gotten word of this popular modification?
<br>I have had several [5 I think] PCP guns. All were worthless in one feature > too LOUD to shoot without risking the neighbors calling the police which is UNDERSTANDABLE as PCPs are as loud as 22 magnum rifles! My Daystate Huntsman II was a 50+ ft/lb 22. Beautiful and accurate, but it was too loud to shoot even with a THINGY on the barrel. Not to mention the 'too risky' and questionable legallity of 'it'. The shrouded barrel 400/410 is all the Daystate was but I don'to worry at all about the legality of a 'shroud'.
<br>I wish I could see/handle/shoot a carbine or classic version for comparison. But, any of them are completely satisfactory. Finally found a PCP I'm going to keep. Wish I'd get another pigeon/aircraft hanger job!
<br>Alan the exterminator, in GA, USA

118834_Jd.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 25/07/2003

Alan, hey you are scaring me now!! I've got to get my E first. Maybe I should be asking for a combo discount on two rifles now. I agree and think the carbine would be way cool!!

118830_Plasmaetcher.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 25/07/2003

Grind down a hammer to make a knife? LOL, you make it sound like we're changing the gun into a kitchen utensil! I can't speak for others but this is what I call an improvement - Good ole Yankee ingenuity - what this country needs a good dose of now!! In my industry we do this all the time; we take and modify multimillion dollar intricate machine tools to increase throughput, give a tool the ability to IMPROVE its utility, apply it to a wider range of functions and to OPTIMIZE its performance and increase its value for the slight costs of modification. In my opinion that is why the powermod is so popular here. It takes insight, guts and the deep yearning to make something better. For roughly a 10% increase in the price of this gun, it now boasts on the fly adjustable power that few airguns have at any price and many shooters obviously want, the ability to shoot indoors with lighter pellets and optimize for the most shots at an acceptable power level. I call that marketing genius, mastery of technical expertise and vision that our country's eroding manufacturing base needs right now to survive. Since so many 410E powermod owners have pioneered the power mod already I'm just following in their footsteps and enjoying the flexibility that the power mod gives without the risks for just and additional 10% in price. It really works as advertised to me and greatly increases the utilty of this gun and appeals to my need to optimize and maximize the effectiveness of the tools I work with.

118814_Jd.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 25/07/2003

Thanks for the praise guys but its you experienced owners that have shared your kudo's, beefs and comments that creates the value of this entire section on the 410E!! I'm a buyer/expeditor for a manufacturing company and a newbie in the airgun game having yet to buy a gun and in looking at the other makes/models on this site, there isn't one single gun that has the sheer number of reviews and comments with the detail that this rifle has. This is the precious field information that you can't get from a few dealers, owner or web forum. The THANKS goes to you owners who have posted!! Thanks also to all who posted what you bought the guns for and whom. This really helped find the lowest price and best airgun expertise and saved a ton of time. I've spent 8-9 hours on the phone with all the dealers about this gun and others and now I know why the majority of you have bought from Pomona. It took about 3-4 phone calls to each and the right questions but now its pretty obvious why he's so popular. That's just my opinion anyway.

118492_Bigal1911.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 24/07/2003

JD,
<br>Congratulations and thanks for a fine review of reviews. Please consider re-posting this as a review since most people will not have the endurance to read down that far.

118425_Alan In Ga.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 24/07/2003

Very good sumation of the reveiws. I really like my 'E' version. But you forgot one BAD thing about owning a 410E. Now I want a Classic, or Carbine, TOO!
<br>Being inflicted with magnumitis [which is smooth and easily performed with the 410E], I chose the 'E' version, and am very happy with it. But the 410 is so well designed that, instead of wanting a Falcon,,FX, or Daystate [had one before],,,I just want one of the other versions of the 410.
<br>My magazine plate has developed a crack, so I guess I need to get a yellow plate to fix it.
<br>After owing this rifle for a year now, I don't know if because of the magazine problems I might have been just as happy with the single shot 400E series, but I would keep the 'E', too!
<br>Great Guns.
<br>alan in ga

118157_Jd.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 23/07/2003

My Airgun Purchase investigation summary:
<br>
<br>I've just read all the threads on the 410E which all seems to be US shooters probably because its an FAC rifle. I've been reading and calling dealers and checking all information I could find on this rifle since for the money it seems to offer more than any other gun and provide the goods where it is greatly needed ie wonderful fitting stock and shroud. Its great to see all the issues with this gun - it seems that most the guys posting here don't have the magazine or baffle issues like the ones on the SS board(newer shooters from what I gather based on their questions/comments) or the Yellow Board or Delphi. I see several trends that most of the shooters here are:
<br>
<br>1 - Dealer - Many shooters are buying from Pomona Airguns and seem to be happy. Some who bought from other vendors expressed that they wished they had bought from Pomona due to price and savings on getting the power mod without having to send the gun back. Other dealers seem to be steering customers away since they don't offer this service. I was warned by some of the dealers by phone that this would void the warranty, cause leakage somewhere in the gun, destroy the resale value, dimish performance on the high end, not be consistent or repeatable, not hold a constant setting, reduce the number of shots between fills and look really ugly. I found out that Air Arms and Boris at Top Gun the distributor apparantly have had this mod done to their personal guns. When I called Pomona I found good advice and no negative comments about other dealers. I can't say the same for any of the other dealers... Seems its a pretty dog eat dog environment out there. I think they are upset about the price matching and introduction of competetive pricing.
<br>2 - Calibers - Many have both calibers in the 410E and like them both. From the limited data on number of increased shots it seems you get more increased shots from turning power down on a .177 rather than a .22. I've read 60 shots on .177 premiers at 900 vs. 45 shots on .22 premiers at 900. Not the greatest comparison but it gives you an rough idea of what to expect.
<br>3 - Power Mod - Many have the power mod and those who own it are pleased according to the posts here on this site. Like one of the posters mentioned "no owner of the power mod has complained" Some are concerned that the mod will wear in time and one post described a teenager constantly turning the screw and causing air leakage which was fixed with thread sealant that was applied and cured before replacing the screw. The issue seemed to be fixed satisfactorily. There are some who prefer to shoot their guns full power and do not wish to drill and tap their guns which I can understand. There didn't seem to be any posting of any diminished top end velocity or loss of shots per fill or complaints of cosmetics from any of the adjustable mod owners. Many who don't have the power mod are sending their guns in to get it done. Those who have done this seem to be happy. Most are reporting increased amount of shots without adverse issues.
<br>4 - Magazine Problems - Some have had magazine issues but they seem to have worn breech seals which caused air leakage and blew the faceplates apart. AA has issued several replacement faceplates but the yellow tinted faceplates seem to have fixed the problem. It seems the early magazines are still working fine with many rounds on them.
<br>5 - Baffles Blowing Out - There is little or no mention of any baffles blowing out here in any posts but the yellow board and SS had many issues for a while apparently in cold weather. The baffles were plastic and contracting and eventually sliding out. The distributor was replacing these but some had them blow out as well. I would think some epoxy would help this since they are press fit into the shroud from what I've read. There were also some internal part that was rattling loose that required the gun be dismantled. Most sent the gun back for warranty repair and one machinist/poster offered some photo's and a longer grub screw to make sure this issue didn't repeat itself. It seemed to be limited to only on a few rifles and I've not read or heard of any others having this. Some are getting Pomona to mill out Beeman cocking handles to fit on the end of the shroud and keep the baffles from sliding out.
<br>6 - Value - Some like this modestly priced gun better than their Daystates or FX guns. There seems to be a few posts of FX owners mentioning their valves breaking after 10,000 - 20,000 rounds.
<br>7 - Owner distribution - The demographics of this gun indicate that owners are spread out all over the US with alot of owners in the Pacific Northwest.
<br>8 - Features - From the owner posts I've noticed the mention of the built in shroud, manometer, great fitting AA stock, high air capacity, good balance, adjustable powermod for a good power range/increased number of shots/optimizable accuracy and good adjustable trigger. I think this gun does it all for my budget.
<br>9 - the only negative I saw in design was a lack of a safety. I read of one post warning to not set the trigger too light. Most of the reviews mentioned this and its a big thing in my book but I plan to always keep the gun unloaded and execute extreme safety!
<br>10 - Accuracy - I've read and heard nothing but great things on accuracy for this gun with JSB Exacts in both calibers.
<br>11 - Breech Seals - You should get some spares from your dealer and know how to install them and be ready to anytime. All PCP's can blow them out or wear them out and always carry some spares - some guys carry spares for every oring in their guns including the quick connects, magazine orings too.
<br>
<br>After gathering all this information I am going to do the following...
<br>
<br>Buy a 410E in .22 from Pomona Air with an extra magazine and request some extra spare orings!! with the power mod option for $60 (now offering free shipping and a $10 discount since all AA vendors have to use the same retail price but they can offer specials and free shipping - the other dealers have scoffed at price matching)
<br>
<br>I hope this helps someone out there trying to make heads or tails of all this.

117991_Mochamanz.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 23/07/2003

Hey guys ! I am reading the posts sent concerning the power mod. Seeing as I was the first to mention wear as a posible problem down the line, I feel obligated to inform those who think a commercial motivation is behind my questioning of the power mod, I have the disclaimer that I am simply a hobbyist with a concern for keeping a fine airgun for long term use. I never meant to spark such controversy over the power mod. having said this, i must say, never in a million years would i change a gun from the optimum, as built design... I have several airguns. If a gun does not perform as needed...get one that does. I would never grind down a hammer because i needed a knife....

117672_Brandondeboer.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 22/07/2003

I've been reading about PCP's for the last year and now I've got enough to buy a 410E. After reading about all the guns in this $600ish price range and after handling the FX Timberwolf and the Career's I am going to get the 410E with the power adjustment. I read that the .177's are a put a deposit down and wait affair but I'll probably get a .22 at first since I'll be hunting 100% of the time. I've read alot of the issues on this site and others and I'm confident that the 410E is the best choice. Thanks to all who have posted.

116470_Bigal1911.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 17/07/2003

Pelleteer,
<br>I'm in Idaho Falls. Drop me a line @ Bigal1911@ida.net.

116359_Jjmagnus.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 17/07/2003

I just noticed this site from another airgun link page and realized that there is an add on adjustable power adjustment screw! I bought my 410E already and the damn salesman didn't even mention this feature to me. I just spoke with two other internet dealers I found from websites and they told me to NEVER GET THE adjustment screw put on but I just spent the last hour reading all the posts here of owners and it seems pretty popular. I think I'll have to do more calling and since I'm going to buy another 410E in .177 I'll just have to get that one with the adjustable power screw so I can test it. $60 is nothing compared to the total cost of the gun with mounts, scope and pellets.

115032_Pelleteer.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 12/07/2003

BigAl1911, where in Idaho are you from? Good to see another AA410E fan out here this this state. I was amazed to see how many there are dispersed throughout the US. I've got one in each caliber both with the power mod and my airgun buddy is waiting for a .177 which should be here at customs and then the power mod after Steve returns from vacation on the 15th.

114910_Islandermike.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 11/07/2003

I am merely stating what is going on with my S410E. I respect that you are enjoying your gun that much and I also want to let you know that I am not associated with any airgun dealers. As far as I am concerned, it seems that you are the one who is associated or promoting a dealership. You must remember, I got my modification at the same place you got yours.
Good luck on your gun 4-5 years from now.

114645_Bigal1911.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 10/07/2003

Let me clarify the function of the power modification. It is a physical impedence in the transfer port. Opening the port further allows more air to pass and closing it allows less air to pass through. There is no physical way the alteration of the gun by placing a screw into the transfer port can cause ANY leakage of air from the air cylinder. If this is happening then you have a bad seal, likely from using the wrong type of lube. Permanently sealing the screw hole WILL NOT fix it. Look at a drawing of the action and it is quite obvious. THe only way any air is going to leak at the screw is if the non-permanent sealant applied at the time of installation wears out. Then there may be a discernable puff of air at the screw upon firing. this would be easily corrected, if deemed a problem, by doping the threads.
<br>It seems there is a deliberate attempt to discredit the modification by a competing entity. No wonder, since they are undoubtedly loosing business because of all the positive feedback from satisfied people with the modification.
<br>I recieved my gun recently and am quite delighted. My experience is too limited to pontificate on it's merits or weaknesses but I must say I prefer it to my TX200SR for most uses. I just don't want others to read some of the rubbish bashing the power modification and take it too seriously. Please do your own research.

110751_Spatterson.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 26/06/2003

I have a 410E in .22 with the power mod and I've been using it for about 2 years. I've shot about 20 tins of Kodiaks, 6 boxes of CP's and 22 packs of Crosman pointed pellets which is around 12,600 pellets so far. I shoot the Kodiaks wide open and turn the gun down to one turn open for the CP and pointed pellets so I adjust the power fairly often from one turn open all the way to 4 turns open. I don't have any leaks or issues with my grub screw. I am noticing some leakage and noise around my breech so I fear the breech seal is going south. My dealer is sending over some N/C for me to replace. I also just bought a second magazine which really makes shooting more fun. I really love this gun and am seriously thinking about a second one in .177 in the carbine model. Does anyone have a carbine with the power mod and numbers of shots per charge/velocities? I also wanted to mention that my stock is the best fitting that I have ever had. I bought a Sightron 4-16x42 MD scope and I can't put this gun down. I have just been turned on to JSB by a forum reader who sent me a tin to try. I am going to order a case of them since they work so well.

110635_Pelleteer.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 25/06/2003

Lots of great information here on the track record of this rifle. I wasn't aware there were so many 410E owners around. I own one in each caliber and have only had to replace the magazine index finger on one gun and the breech seals after about 10K rounds on both. My dealer Pomona Air Guns promptly send me a replacement and also AA sent a free pair of replacements mag index fingers. Mine have been working great since Jan 2001.

109115_Islandermike.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 20/06/2003

Please don't think that the power mod is not good because I enjoyed the gun with it. It is just that when I retire, I will be doing a lot of hunting and I want all the power of the gun. I bought two scuba tanks and I also have a pump so getting more shots from a fill is not important. I also use heavy pellets so lowering the power is no longer necessary. In an impulse, I gave the gun to my cousin (surprise of the leak and frustrated), I think he already got it fixed by having it plugged permanently. But if you want to get the power mod, go right ahead. I think it is a matter of how and where you will use your gun.

108946_Bigal1911.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 19/06/2003

Islander,
<br>You are the first person to report ANY problems with the power adjustment modification on this airgun. All other negative feedback has been theoretical by persons not owning the weapon, or had aesthetic concerns, or bought their gun from a source not offering the mod.
<br>I have ordered the S410 E with the mod and expect delivery in less than a week. I have talked with Steve @ Pomona extensively and prowled this and other web sites prior to this purchase. Likely all who contemplate the purchase of an airgun in this price range do extensive research prior to purchase. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who would like to see you send your gun back to Steve to be reviewed and corrected. Then we could have an idea as to the potential for problems with the mod. I will call Steve and give him a credit card # to cover postage and repair, if repair is possible, should you choose to send it in.

108886_Cattleman.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 19/06/2003

I had the same thing last month with my grandson playing with the adjustment screw all the time. It didn't leak till last month when I saw he was adjusting everytime he took a shot at somethin. I had to set him straight about this. He knows to set the power now and leave it once you start shooting one pellet and stay with it. I took the grub screw out and coated the threads with blue loctite and wiped some off it and let it dry before putting it back in the gun. It coated the threads some and seals so the air doesn't leak around the threads anymore. I was shootin through a chrony and ya can't tell the diff tween fore and after so it wasn't leakin enough to affect bullet speed. I put some spit on the screw area and it doesn't leak at all but still turns easily so ya don't strip out the hex drive. I just got my rifle back with the power mod and it's workin fine.

Islandermike.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 10/06/2003

I've had my modified S10E for quite sometime and have enjoyed it without a problem until two months ago. I think due to frequent tinkiring of the power adjustment screw, somehow it is getting loose and air starts to sip through. I am a little dissappointed but not thoroughly because I really enjoyed this accurate and reliable gun. In fact I am going to buy another one just before I retire from the military which is just a little less than a year from now. This time though, I am not going to get it modified and have to think that whatever happened to my first gun will ever happen again.

80445_James.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 16/03/2003

Hi
<br>Mocha Man or any others from the Pacific Northwest area.
<br>
<br>I am in the Seattle area. I am very new to this sport/hobby. I just found out not a lot of people shoot airguns. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. e-mail me ...maybe we can shoot together. pacific_man1@hotmail.com
<br>Thanks
<br>James

79577_Dnadoc.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 13/03/2003

Dean, here is Steve's website.
<br>http://www.pomona-airguns.com/
<br>phone 1 760 244 8271 I heard call between 5-6 PST
<br>He doesn't have email at all - its a pain to call but you should always talk to your airgun dealer.
<br>Steve price matches when he can and ships free when he can't lower prices. He's a great source of knowledge who does tunes and shop work on airguns.
<br>As far as the power mod goes it works great - I've got 2 410E's, a 410C and the carbine with power mods on each. They work great!

79181_Dean.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 11/03/2003

Would someone please send me the Pamona Airgun web address and or email address(been seein all the talk about this place for the adjustable pressure modification on the 410E)...thanx in advance

78204_Kelly.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 08/03/2003

This is the only issue that I've had which is really an overdone trigger adjustment and not really the lack of a safety. Still I feel compelled to share this.
<br>Despite my dealers emphatic and animated warnings, I lightened the trigger on my 410E to the point it ALMOST went off by itself - JUST LIKE MY DEALER WARNED ME NOT TO DO! He even warned me twice in the same phone call explicitly that this could happen. While it seemed fine while shooting at the range - I turned the second stage adjustment to an incredibly light pull - great for sandbags. The minute I took the gun out in the field I put a pellet in the chamber and it discharged at the same time up into a tree the gun was pointed at - the second shot held for about 20 seconds and then went off into the air. I stood quite sober at the thought of it possibly going off at my sister or girlfriend that sometimes comes with. I've since listened to every word my dealer has told me and have my trigger adjusted much heavier and lightly pound the but pad of the stock on solid ground with the gun cocked to test for accidental discharge. That's my close call learning lesson. You guys are probably smarter than this but just in case...

77935_Gaston.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 07/03/2003

No close calls, I always treat all guns like they were loaded and cocked without a safety all the time. Vigilance works for me.

77461_Jurgen Reinschlammer.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 05/03/2003

I've been reading carefully every review about the 410E here about the power modification adjustment screw upgrade and also watching airgun websites. I was looking for the owner of power modification upgrades who was complaining or not so happy with the results. I know very much why someone would want power adjustability but I was just worried about losing maximum velocity or if you can adjust to the same place consistently. I did not think about getting more shots but that would indeed be quite welcome. Some guys mention 10-20 more shots before filling - does anyone challenge this fact? I want to know if this is truth or the stretching. Has anyone noticed less noise which can spook the game? I only want to see owners and not the imagination.

77202_Daytrader.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 04/03/2003

Has anyone had a close call with this gun due to its lack of a safety? Just wondering here.

76667_Meister Jaeger.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 01/03/2003

If not for the cost - I'd love to have a specific air rifle for every use like clubs in my golf bag... But I have 3 sons and can only afford a few rifles at $800-$1000 a pop after scope, mounts, spare magazines etc. Not to say that I won't probably end up with 10-20 of those in the next 5 years - he he. Been averaging one $1000-1500 class gun per year. I think the 410E fills a power/air capacity/efficiency/mag capacity/cost/accuracy niche that is putting it at the head of the pack right now. If you can adjust the power - why not? Makes it all the better-shoot full power and then go home and plink in the house or find a good pellet weight and a very moderate accurate speed to shoot it at. With the new Falcon Ti, FXterminator and other innovative designs (that are comming very slowly - probably cause we Yanks aren't in the design process) all guns will probably have on the fly adjustability, built in shrouds, huge air capacity, 20 round mags, under 6lbs and pump or other actions that allow decocking without having to worry about chambering a second round in the action.
<br>To answer the questions - I've got four 410E's in .22 with 3 having the power mod and one without bought second hand. I adjust my power often can't speak for my sons. My youngest (16) has the used full power only gun and is now learning how to shoot. We all shoot in the garage and turn the guns down to the lowest setting and have family matches. I only have one 45 cu. ft. Kevlar HP Airtank between 4 410E's so the boys have quickly learned to maximize their ftlb/shots per fill/accuracy curve. They can easily drain the tank in one shooting session so they have learned to turn the guns down to a power level to allow them enough power to hit out to 50yds and still get 50 or so shots per fill.

76518_Dragoon.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 01/03/2003

I bought my 410E in Nov 2000. I shoot in my outdoor range in the evenings after work and on the weekends in the field. I usually turn the power down all the way and do some H&N paper shooting or do some Silhouette at full power. On the weekends, I like to take possum and squirrels on my property with Crow Magnums or H&N Barracuda Match and turn the gun to max power to do this. I fiddle with the power mod alot. I can have max power and low power with more shots too. I find that around 50 shots is enough for a session between fillings of air when taking a walk. More would be better but 50 is possible. The 410E with power mod makes that happen for me with Crosman Copperhead Pointed Pellets.

76275_Starman.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 28/02/2003

Good questions - Here is a breakdown of why the 410E powermod (for me anyway - can't speak for the other gents)
I bought my gun in 7/00 with Power Mod.
Highest power in its class
Magazine: 10 shots
Capacity: 314cc
Weight: 7.5lbs
Great trigger
adjustable power without taking off stock
$625 with power mod
I adjust the power about 5-6 times per week - shoot 12 months a year and most weekends and almost every night unless the grandkids are over.
I shoot almost everyday in the backyard and turn the power down to JSB's to 500 fps for bird feeder mauraders - full power ricochet's and goes too far. On weekends I shoot in the foothills for rabbits and need full throttle Kodiaks or Crow Magunms. I also like to shoot starlings with JSB's or Crosman Premiers at 850-860 in a blind so I like to get almost 50 shots before having to top off. If I fill I can spook birds and screw up my son's shooting - he shoots springers - so I can shoot all morning without filling. I can shoot with all these power levels - pellet combinations on the same scope setting and compensate by mil dots. I get max power and adjustability and efficiency with fairly large capacity. I had a Super-10 which was the closest competition but only got 50 shots with 400cc, it weighted 8.5lbs and was barrel heavy to me and there no easy user power adjustability without spring replacement. I didn't like the BSA mags as well as the 410E. I will say this, I look forward to the FXterminator for function and I'll be buying one when they come shrouded and the test results are good. Power adjustability, air capacity, shroud and rapid fire - FX could stand a 12 shot mag. My humble opinion only of course for my needs. I hope that helps you understand my perversion for this gun. Its about making the 410E fit your shooting requirements with only one gun. If I could afford it I'd have a Theoben Rapid - large capacity, 12 shots, adjustable power - but $1500.

75449_Mochamanz.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 25/02/2003

I have read the large number of positive responses to the "power Mod". A couple of questions. I guess so many people cannot be wrong, but, how long have you guys had the "power mod" option installed and in use? How many adjustments have been made to tweak the power of your rifles? And I guess the last question is, why buy a gun that has the power of the AA410E in the first place if the NUMBER of shots so far exceeds the POWER of the shots in importance.... Why not buy a less powerful airgun that uses less air? Would you not then get more shots per fill? I bought the AA410E for the power and range. If I want less power, I have rifles which are adjustable or, that have less power, so, more shots. I guess I have a "stock" configuration mentality. I still would like to know how long you guys have had the "mod" in place and how often do you use it. Anyhow, I was just wondering. I don't really get it I suppose.... I am horrified at the thought of changing the rifle. (if it aint broke, don't fix it) trust me...

74705_Gordon.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 22/02/2003

Hey I think I like this adjustable power option. Thanks to all for speakin your mind on this both pro and con - I'm gonna take my 410E to Pomona AG and have him tune my spring guns too. I visit Ontario California often so now I have an excuse to visit him. He said to drop on by for a visit when I'm in town and he'd show me all the guns he had in stock. I used to hate going to Ontario! Now I can't wait!!

74703_Lief Rahr.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 22/02/2003

My magazine covers were blowing out a while ago. I was a dufus and didn't realize my breech seals were very blown which made the cracked magazine covers to blow out of the gun. I had overtightend the magazine screw, causing the window to crack from the screw and go all the way out to the edge of the magazine. The force of the air leaking by my bolt caused the window parts to fly out 2 times - Over time the loud noise crept in gradually and I didn't notice it getting louder and louder. My son finally clued me in and after I replace the oring (after I read a post from Storm Trooper) everything is fine now. I got the third free replacement cover from my dealer that wasn't cracked and carefully tightened the screw and stoped without hardly any pressure on the window. I've shot about 2 tins now without any issues. I really like this gun now that it's shooting back to normal.
I think the magazines are way over priced. $45 is robbery!! I noticed other places charge $60~!!
Thanks for sharing the know how to fix this rifle!
Lief Rahr

73239_Dnadoc.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 16/02/2003

The power mod really shines on my .177. It gets around 60 honest shots 200-150 bar set to JSB Exacts at 900. I've taken alot of Jack Rabbits with it but usually I use my .22. I can shoot JSB Exacts at 850 and get 50 shots.

70533_Ray.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 04/02/2003

I've got the powermod on a .22 410E but was thinking about putting it on my Karbine. Wouldn't trade it for the world. If you get this when you buy the gun you save shipping charges - but I'm still thinking about doing this for the Karbine (bought it used - no shroud)

70523_Krishna.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 04/02/2003

Definitely no anxiety here. I was just expressing: OPINION MINE!

70324_Schmierpintzel.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 04/02/2003

It's very interesting dialogue on the power adjustment upgrade. Here is my thought offering. I try this feature when I bought the gun and use it quite successfully. I can see the argument for not drilling holes in the new guns but I doubt threads and the grub screw to wear out or leak. It is a very simple and useful idea.
No offence taken by the way by any earlier opinion... also I am just saying my opinion now. This gun with the power mod upgrade was cheaper than the plain gun from all other e-dealers. I have a shooting friend from Germany who shoots an AirArms 310 with the factory adjustable power but the adjustment range is not so wide.

70246_Starman.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 04/02/2003

Jack, the Power Mod is a good choice if you want to have the ability to shoot pellets at lower speeds. It's not for everybody but the main benefit is to get more shots between fills. I had to be talked into it cause I was scared off by another dealer (I won't mention who) who played into my fear of ruining a brand new gun. Curiosity got the best of me when I saw chrony strings and pictures on the yellowboards of a few guys last year who posted their power mod numbers and shot counts so I figured I'd take a chance. Paid off well for me but I own many light to heavy pellet weights and like to experiment with speeds/accuracy. Lately though I've been shooting JSB's at 855 ave or so cause it works so well. I also shoot Lasers at min power off my deck at Starlings and Grackles to keep the noise down and not rile the neighbors. If only I could get some stealth pellets that didn't make a crack when they hit the targets.
Oh yes, I get 50 shots per fill too! I saw Danny's 410E vs. other airgun charts on the yellow board. I think the power mod flattens out the curve pretty well. I'll have to confirm that with some afternoon chrony work but I'm really curious what the curve will look like. I hope others do some curve and string publishing too. That is what this mod is all about!

69978_Meister Jaeger.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 03/02/2003

Mocha, no nerve struck with me. This site is all about opinions and reviews based on your experiences with the products. I just gave an alternate view to yours based on my experience. There is no right or wrong and a site is more credible with both sides of an issue stated. It's up to the reader to decide. Looking at products objectively is only good for the public who reads this. I've seen comments about this review site that it is a joke concerning the content of useful information but I think there is some good information here.
Actually regarding the power mod I felt the same way you did at one time - but now I don't.
The main reason I got the mod was to get more shots with a slight decrease in ft.lbs. I just want to squeeze another 10-15 shots off a fill and if I can do this for example by dropping JSB velocities from 980 to 850 then its useful for me. Good shooting and keep stating your opinions, even when they get some responses.

69536_Mochamanz.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 01/02/2003

Oops, I didn't mean to strike a nerve out there, but I cannot agree with the power mod on MY airgun, but as with anything else it is your choice..... I work with Aluminum all the time and I know that it will gall eventually. Best wishes to all who wish to modify their airguns and good luck. Dealers or not, I guess there are people who love to tweak things and people who do not. Oh on the same subject, can't a shooter vary the "chrono" stats as to velocity by varying the pellet wieght? I shoot every type of pellet I can find in every airgun I use and I can shoot super heavies for low velocity or light ones for speed. This I can do in a non-adjustable airgun... The pelletman sells 35 grain .22 pellets if you want to try something heavy (although you can only shoot them single shot in the 410E due to the magazine shallowness) I still think it is a mistake to mod an airgun if you are not going factory direct. OPINION MINE !

69380_Alan In Ga.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 31/01/2003

Well, I guess I'd better look at an actual power mod instead of just a digital picture of one what with all those testimonials. I enjoyed the power ajustability of the Talon SS I had very much. My AA410E is the only one I've ever seen here in the Atlanta area. PCP guns seem slow to grow, or folks are just keeping quiet about them. But then, we all are trying to keep our neighbours from "hearing" our PCPs,,,maybe we've been succesful!

69310_Gaston.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 31/01/2003

Jack, if you're interested in the power mod and are worried whether it works or not - call the US Importer - Boris at Top Gun in Scottsdale whom I think is your dealer - or AoA since they are "just down the road". He's got power mods on his guns and AA has sent some over from England to be installed. That sold me - I added mine after the fact and paid for shipping to and from and haven't ever regretted it. Mine doesn't leak or isn't wearing out.

69307_Meister Jaeger.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 31/01/2003

I bought the power mod when I bought my 410E. If you want to only shoot the gun at the highest power with heavy pellets then you don't need the power mod. I don't worry about the screw wearing out or looking tacky.

69303_Cattleman.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 31/01/2003

Jack, I enjoyed reading your testamonial on your foreman's 410E. I live in eastern Oregon on a 500 acre cattle ranch which is rich with ground squirrels and starlings. I'm retired and turned the ranch over to my son and grandson. While my 410E is under used like yours my grandson turned 15 last fall and we got him a new 410E like mine only his has the power mod. I bought Ronnie's gun from Pomona and it was cheaper with the power mod than what I paid for mine without and the wood on Ronnie's gun is much nicer. We only had to wait 2 days extra for the installation and the kid has been shooting and tinkering with that grub screw every darn day since he got the gun with no troubles. If that grub screw can survive a 16 year old kid constantly changing the damn thing it should be as powerful a testamonial as your foreman. I spent the best afternoon with him shooting starlings from behind milking stations shooting side by side with my grandson. He's good enough to pump up my gun when it runs out when he's around. He lets me shoot his gun when he's doing his chores cause getting 10 more shots before pumping means alot to this old fat cowboy with bad knees. I just know to reset that grub screw back to 1 turn open with Premiers and I'm zero'd at 40 yards.

69301_Krishna.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 31/01/2003

Jack, you wanted to know about the power mod. I will tell you what I know. I bought my .22 410E with the power mod from Steve at Pomona Air Guns in Victorville, Ca. I think the power mod is very easy to use without taking off the stock. I chose to turn the screw in all the way for a reference as the lowest power setting. At that setting 5.50 JSB dome pellets are going almost 500 fps exactly. At 1 turn open they are going 860 fps which is where I like to shoot them to maximize my shots from fill to fill. At 3.5 turns open my gun is shooting very heavy Kodiaks at 850 fps. When I turn the power all the way down and then back again the chronograph gives me the same reading and the screw doesn't move or work loose during long shooting sessions. The argument that some have voiced of the threads on the screw or the aluminum body wearing out or leaking are quite unfounded. One is only turning the screw occaisionally a turn or two at the most. If the screw was moving alot for example 4-5 turns back and forth constantly then I could possibly agree stronger materials should be used. This adjustment will last a lifetime, of that I am sure. I often compare my velocity figures with others who have reported on the internet and my numbers are quite similar. Please make up your mind based on those who have used this adjustment and who have it. As someone else has mentioned on these 410E reviews "no one who owns this mod is unsatisfied". I was almost convinced to not buy this feature from one e-shop owner who threw the same argument at my feet. I questioned him and found they did not service what they sold which destroyed their credibity in my book and I decided to buy from Pomona who will fix all they sell under warranty except for the Beeman line. They do machine work and tunes as well.
However, I can see someone not wanting to drill on a new gun as I was until the gun arrived and I was able to experiment with settings and the results of the chronograph.

69181_Alan In Ga.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 30/01/2003

I saw a picture of the mod screw in what appeared to be the side of the receiver. I do a little machining, and the threaded hole I saw is not what I want in the side of my rifle. I would probably try a 400/410 Classic hammer spring in my 'E' rifle for slightly slower velocity/increased number of shots. Possibly the hammer weight in a 'classic' is less also and could be tried. I like the 'E' as it is. I would like to try a few other rifles now that I'm convinced of the quality of the 400/410-I would like to shoot a 177 version, and both calibers in a 'Classic' version also. Just some thoughts.

Mochamanz.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 30/01/2003

I have been looking for "O"ring replacements with some luck. My blowby problem has decreased to the point I am confident that my problem is minimized enough to shoot without concern. I read with interest the comments concerning the power mods. This apparently is a simple mechanical obstuction which decreases airflow to the breech. I have heard that it is a Grubscrew which can be turned in and out for the desired effect. While adjustability is really nice and can make an airgun super versatile, I prefer to use this feature as a design feature of the airgun, that is to say NOT as a modification of an existing gun. I own an Airforce Talon SS which is infinitly adjustable right out of the box. That was a sales point for the piece. I bought the AA410E for the raw power and accuracy, which was the selling feature of this piece. My point is that an airgun model or brand obviously has dominant feature(s) which makes that model or brand unique from any others. I feel that a "mod" that intoduces the possibility of problems is not desirable. The main problem is that the modification being offered is not engineered correctly because a screw being run in and out will eventually wear. (both on itself and within the body it is screwed into) It is guaranteed to be a point of leakage down the road. I might feel better about it if the added feature was some sort of mechanically correct valve arrangement. An actual valve would be acceptable.I have lots of experience with screws leaking due to wear, even tapered screws are questionable due to wear making the protude deeper into the airflow as wear increases. The result of this would be a decrease on the maximum effective velocity over time. Yes, I expect many years of use from this or any other airgun. In fact I fully expect the AA410E to be an heirloom to be passed on and on. The quality is certainly there in the piece. In fact the only other real flaw (besides the "O" ring wear)is the lack of a setable safety. At any rate this is my concern with modifying without thinking about hundreds or even thousands of tweakings over a long period of time. Mechanical wear is a reality with any product that must be sorted out completely before making any changes. Anyhow, I guess I am a "purist".

68874_Jackhammer.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 29/01/2003

I have 1 410E in .177 and 2 in .22. I have 3 .177 mags and 6 in .22. Since I bought the guns in late 2000 I think predated the magazine hubub and loose spring inside the airtube that I've read about on the US forums. Most guns that had the magazine issues were bought after April of 01 according to my dealer. My 3 guns have been absolutely flawless in performance and one of the .22 cal 410E's was handed over to my ranch foreman who carry's it in his truck with a 17 cubic foot carbon tank and regulator my wife brought home from her hospice business and shoots every day all year around. Mine are not quite that active. Unfortunately his gun has had all the finish worn off the stock where his hands touch the gun in a normal hold and that is the only failing that I can say about the gun. It's been in a dusty hot environment since October 2000 and hasn't even every been cleaned. It is shooting lubed Ram Jets with Remington spray Oil and I'm told its taking squirrels and rabbits at 70 yds regularly. I think he shoots all day long and after spending $400 on Beeman pellets last year he outa be a pretty good shot on my tab. It's a great testamony to the AA410E design and quality. I know my guns don't get rattled around on the rack of a pickup truck all summer long in the Arizona heat and I don't think many others do either. I should take the gun in for service since my dealer is just down the road, But if it ain't broke don't fix it!
I just wanted to mention this particular rifle since it's gotta be one of the most abused and used PCP's out in the field today still going strong.
Hey can somebody tell me more about this power mod for adjustable power? Sounds pretty good to get more shots and drop the velocity and still have max power if you want. Any bad points to this upgrade besides being without a gun for a while?

67347_Dragoon.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 23/01/2003

I took out the oring on my .22 410E and realized that the original is metric and the -008 for .177 and the -009 for .22 are slightly larger cause they are US Mil standards rather than the Urethane British Metric Orings AA uses. Since they are a bit larger they should seal better and if you lube with Slik 50 One Lube there shouldn't be any chemical breakdown by using Viton for oring material. I read the post of the guy on the yellow board and I think its a great idea. I bought some spares and they replace alot easier than Urethane and will probably last nearly as long since they are 75 durometer vs. 90. I'm now using the -009 in my .22 and its been fine. I bought a bagfull for $3... I am also using these -009 orings in my Tarantula which blew out its seal midsummer after getting caught in the bolt and getting gouged. It started to make loud noises so I replaced the seal and realized that all PCP's eat seals over time and one should have some backups since this is a wearable item like tires on your car.

64749_Leadzeppelin.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 13/01/2003

I just bought a bag of Viton -009 sized Orings from my local hydraulic shop for pennies. I was anticipating this oring wearing out eventually from some posts on the yellowboard but not until many thousand rounds but I wanted to have some spares when they failed. I already replaced my seal and it works fine. Sorry to hear of your magazine issues but I think replacing the seal might help. The post I read about blown seals said that the noise at the breech is quite loud when the seal goes. You won't have any question that the seal is gone with the loud noise. The replacement was quite easy and painless. I am using 1-Lube for my pellets and I saw tests where this doesn't attack the orings over time like FP-10. I've only got one magazine and luckily its fine, but I can sympathize with those that have issues. I am a new 410 owner with little experience but thought I'd pass this information along as I've been reading and studying the owner history of this fine rifle series.

63053_Mochamanz.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 07/01/2003

I have not shot as much as I normally would have due to the holidays. I still think there is an "o" ring problem that requires sorting out. Either there is a problem with air escaping back past the "pellet injector/sealing rod" (do not know the proper nomenclature) or there is an unknown air vent ported to the magazine. In any event, not wanting to run this fine rifle down, I do think this is a fine example of a product being adapted to an additional purpose not originally contemplated in the original design. (My issues with the magazine, however would not cause me to hesitate to purchase this rifle today, I feel that I must say this in all honesty.) In a single shot piece, blowback would not even be evident to a shooter unless of course one recieved an eyefull of air. The problem MUST be improper "o" ring diameter. I am interested in your modification. I will consider this for the future... meaning after I am over the disruption of the holidays.

62474_Tony.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 04/01/2003

I have noticed more & more of people having problems with the 410 magazine covers cracking/exploding. I too have had this problem and had to glue mine back together. Anyway, I plan to fabricate a couple of magazine covers, as well as a couple of complete magazines. They will be constructed of either aluminum, titanium, or stainless steel. After construction is complete and all have been severely tested, I will share my designs with other s410e owners, free of charge-Im not in the business of manufacturing parts, etc... .Overall, the whole thing should be fairly simple and easy, for anyone of basic mechanical abilities to do.

57403_Pneuman.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 12/12/2002

Mocha, didn't mean to come off like pressuring for another dealer. Just offerin some alternatives. I didn't want to see anyone unhappy with a 410E. Figured that if you were down and out with a bad mag, well that could be easily fixed. Good Shootin!!

57181_Mochamanz.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 11/12/2002

Well, my dealer finally got me replacement magazines for the cracked windows. I feel that the dealer really came through because I was not charged for the two new Mags ! ! I guess AA is just a little behind in production of the mag covers. Concerning loyalty, I am really happy with my dealer and the way I did get replacements, so I will continue to deal with this site. The rifle is enjoyable to shoot when at least dealer support is fair and honest. Experience is better by far than word of mouth because I have read articles in publications about products and been stung badly even recently. Finally I am happy and satisfied.

56935_Pneuman.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 10/12/2002

FYI - I have 4 mags and had one that had a cracked window. Steve didn't have any spare windows and he told me to send in my cracked window and he sent me out a new one. He said he'd replace the windows on his magazines when AA sent out the replacements I've even heard of him doing this for a guy who didn't buy his gun from him. Makes sense to me to get new loyal customers.

55207_Mochamanz.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 02/12/2002

I am happy to say that the dealer did promise replacements, however, the covers have been unavailable for some time, dealer blames AA for the problem. I do not know why Something so simple has to be so difficult to get, but that's what I hear. I did not hear any blast from the breech, just the shattering if the plastic. I am very suprised that I am having any problems at all out of the rifle. I have yet to fire more than maybe 300 rounds through the thing, with the feeling that maybe something hidden is amiss. As I said earlier, things like this take the joy out of shooting a piece.

55066_Dnadoc.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 02/12/2002

Wow, shattered window! The only thing I could think of is that there is some pressure leaking from the oring around the bolt. I read on the yellow board that when the Oring wears out there is a loud bang from the breech each time you fire the gun from the air leaking by the bolt. Do you hear this? Its probably pretty obvious cause all you hear when you fire the gun is the "ping" of the hammer spring. Nasty issue you have there. What did your dealer do? He should replace the window/magazine Johnny on the spot - no questions asked!! As for Caliber, I love my .177 for shooting tweeties and starlings at my friends ranch. I turn the gun down to shoot Crosman Premier lights at 880 fps and get 60+ shots per filling. I also shoot RWS Super Hollow Points at 850fps and get about 70+ shots per filling. They are not quite as accurate as the premiers but good enough for sparrows at 40yds! The 177 is even quieter than the .22 and I've been shooting it alot lately.

55065_Starman.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 02/12/2002

I read on the yellow forum that replacement orings for the 410E in .22 was -009 and one guy was experimenting with Viton (easy to get locally) but Urethane orings come in the guns. I agree that oring spares for every one use on the guns should come with them!! They are consumable items after all. At the very least the dealers should carry them.

54981_Mochamanz.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 01/12/2002

Re Alan from GA. concerning Caliber: I use .22 almost to the exclusion of .177 due to the power and performance of .22 in comparison. I have to admit that I do not really have a clue as to any advantage to .177 pellets. My experience with .177 is that they overpenetrate and have less range due to weight, also they are likely to go supersonic in a PCP rifle. I love heavy pellets. In the AA410E, we are limited in pellet choice. (most repeating PCP rifles have this same limitation) Smooth skirted, round nosed pellets of moderate length are all that the magazine, and breech "O" rings will tolerate. The magazine is shallow and will not accommodate longer, heavier pellets, and the seals would be abraided and fail quickly if pellets with sealing ridges are used. What does this have to do with caliber? The heaviest pellets in .177 are too light for the longer ranges that I prefer.(without being effected by wind) Alternative pellets of heavy weight have some of the negative features I mentioned , and nobody makes really heavy .177 pellets. At the power output of the AA410E, I find .22 pellets to be flat enough as well as the power of this rifle will propel "heavies" at a really satifactory trajectory. I have tried Pyramid Air .22 caliber, 30 grain pellets in my 410 and it loved them. Sadly some custom pellets, the new copper tipped 30 and 35 grain from The Pelletman were too long for the shallow depth magazine Oh, before you comment, I was using Crossman Premiers and Beeman Kodiacs when the covers blew. The Pyramid pellets worked out fine even though I had to epoxy the cover after the blow-outs. Technically I have no argument against .177, As my involvement in the Airgun hobby matures, I like heavier projectiles for hunting, pest control. In that respect, the majority of PCP multi-shot manufacturing companies receive a "D" in design, due to the lack of choice given due to "O" ring usage in area's where pellet design is a wear/failure factor as well as shallow magazines. I think pellet choice is as important overall in achieving the power and accuracy desired as the power of the rifle is. (I have not seen heavier offerings in .177 pellets than the Beeman Kodiac.) Better, they are inter-related and one can boost or defeat the other. In this equation, I do not see the usefulness of .177, unless we are talking about a weaker airgun. I have a Korean made .22 rifle that is a repeater and that accepts virtually any configuration of heavy pellet, so I do have something to compare features with in this regard. Most of my .177 rifles are springers where the weight of the pellet is even more critical and light is good, and even the heavy pellets are "light"

54916_Alan In Ga.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 01/12/2002

The breech O ring would surely allow enough 'back flow' if it was worn or broken. If this is a common occurance I would think AA would have to go with a stronger plastic or forgo the 'see thru' aspect and make metal back plates. I hope we hear more of this problem.
The 410/400 seems to really be getting attention. I look forward to more opinions from both users and maybe even the factory. Such a successful rifle might be worth the 'fine tuning' to make it even better. thanks, Alan in GA.

54844_Mochamanz.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 01/12/2002

I am suprised that so many of you guys had stress fractures only, I had the plastic blow violently out and had to search the area for the pieces. I also had to epoxy the thing together. I am quite pleased with the power,accuracy, appearance, and workmanship of the AA410E. I really love the finish quality of the rifle. Only the magazine covers and the lack of an "O" ring repacement kit disappoint me. I think that given the fact that "O" rings are items that wear out in service by design, there should be an option listed giving the customer the choice of obtaining them at point of purchase. I suspect some kind of "back pressure" is the culprit causing the cracked magazine covers. Maybe it is some kind of "O"ring failure that is causing my problem.

54749_Alan In Ga.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 30/11/2002

caliber thoughts = what do you think of your caliber choice? 177 to 22 comparison [I hope I don't have to save up for BOTH rifles!] thanks, Alan in ga.

54606_Starman.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 29/11/2002

My second 410E had one magazine that cracked shortly after I got it. The spare that I bought from Steve was fine upon arrival but cracked a week or so later during one of my cleaning sessions due to my son grossly overlubing the pellets and the subsequent gunk build up over the red dot reference marker on the aluminum magazine cylinder. Steve said that he'd replace the cracked plate when he got some in no questions asked and that there was a bad batch comming in from AA. No biggie cause it was just a stress crack and still was functional. It bugged me enough to make the phone call but not enough to worry about using it. Haven't had a jam yet with two rifles and my son is the type who last month tried to cram his magazine in upside down and then tried to push the bolt in hard enough to make a dent in the plastic. I pulled out the magazine and gave him a long lecture about paying attention to what you are doing with some colorful metaphors and explicatives. The gun was undamaged and still works fine.

54600_Dnadoc.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 29/11/2002

I just wanted to add to the last post after I reread it. The stress cracks on both the defective windows were cosmetic only and didn't affect the indexing or feeding performance. There should be no pressure on the gun when firing since the oring should protect the magazine from air pressure and the backside (black) part of the magazine is butted up against the brass breech insert which holds the oring. I know some guns who shot the gun without the mag in had the breech block slide out. Its held in by screws on the top of the receiver directly above the breech block and also loctited in.
My cracked mag windows still worked fine but being the anal retentive "A" type I had to have this fixed and the dealer sent them out no questions asked. When the second one also cracked he was out of the replacements and I was waiting for the new replacements to come in from AA. Now that I've physically lost that particular magazine in the field its a non issue.
HTH.

54430_Dnadoc.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 29/11/2002

I own 4 mags, 2 in .22 and 2 in .177. I had one with a cracked window which I recently lost through a hole in my pocket (whole magazine). My dealer sent a replacement plate for the window immediately which also cracked. Both of the windows were completely functional but I wanted to have them replaced. My understanding is exactly what Alan mentioned about the countersinking being added to the molding (instead of a machining step) and I also was told they might go back to Lexan which I think my 3 remaining magazines are. The window that was cracked seemed like it was of a different material and more brittle like polycarb. I've had no issues with the mag performance or the gun performance and have shot 10 tins of .22 crow mags, 10 tins of Kodiaks and 3 boxs of CP's on the .22 and 2 boxes of CP Heavies through the .177. I've been extremely happy with both guns!!

53883_Alan In Ga.'s Response to Alan in GA.'s Review

Written on: 27/11/2002

Rumour has it that the plastic back plate had center hole drilled. Drilling was done with technique that left small stress cracks that weakened the edges of the hole. New magazines supposedly have this hole origionating in the molding process from the start. No more back plate problems. This is what I've "heard" so I am not sure of it's reality. No problems with my magazine so far.
As an exterminator, I have used single shots and actually prefer them for all shooting EXCEPT hunting feral pigeons inside airplane hangers at night. Then I prefer the magazine feed capability so I can keep my eyes on the "next" pigeon instead of fumbling with pellets.