Garage Defender Review

LBrady's review of Garage Defender

☆☆☆☆☆

“I installed a PJB Gates Garage Defender Master on my...”

Written on: 15/11/2004 by LBrady (1 review written)

Easy to install

Easy to de-install; useless security option. Lock is obviously strong, though.

General Comments
I installed a PJB Gates Garage Defender Master on my up-and-over door 2 weeks ago. This was bolted into concrete and tightended exactly as per manufacturer's instructions, using the provided installation kit. It clearly acted as a fantastic advertisement that there was something worth having in the garage, as the garage was burgled within 2 weeks of its installation. The entire Defender was levered out of the ground - bending the T-bar, ground plate and bolts. Useless. £700 worth of bikes stolen - thanks, PJB. The T-bar appears to have acted as an excellent leverage point for a steel bar. Perhaps the 'concrete in' base plate is better, but I wouldn't bother with the bolt-down version. Garage was safer without this advertisement on the outside.

Tinayouren's Response to LBrady's Review

Written on: 17/11/2004

As UK designer and manufacturer of this highly accreditted and Sold Secure approved Garage Defender we would personally like to discuss these comments made by L Brady by return concerning the installation of this product in question.( Contact P J B Security Products on tel 0117 9659240)

Gsrider's Response to LBrady's Review

Written on: 17/04/2009

So are PJB saying that fitted onto concrete properly, it can't be levered out?

Tencore4's Response to LBrady's Review

Written on: 18/08/2008

Would using a form of chemical anchor in the hole prior to inserting the bolts be beneficial?

Tinayouren's Response to LBrady's Review

Written on: 06/12/2004

Re; site inspection of Mr L Bradys garage and driveway on Friday 26th November 2004 we conclude that this product had been incorrectly fitted by Mr L Brady onto a tarmac coated driveway NOT the recommended solid concrete base as required,also the internal fixing bolt had NOT been fitted onto the garage concrete base as illustrated within our recommended fitting instructions. A letter has been forwarded to Mr L Brady raising a number of issues over this installation as of 6th December 2004 we have had no reply from Mr L Brady.

Lbrady's Response to LBrady's Review

Written on: 26/11/2004

Follow up to my earlier review: Naively, I took up the opportunity to speak with PJB Security about my experience with this product. Unfortunately, it seemed that they were only interested in proving it had not been installed properly, rather than dealing with what I consider a design flaw. For the record:
<br>1) My garage floor is ~ 5" solid concrete. There is a ~1/2" thick tapered edge of surface bitumen where the Defender was installed, but I don't believe this significantly affected installation strength - note the top 6-7mm of the expansion bolt is a collar that doesn't do any expanding anyway.
<br>2) The bolts were in the two end holes of the base plate - one under the padlock, the other under the garage door.
<br>3) Both were torqued to just above the recommended settings using a torque wrench.
<br>4) Holes were drilled as per instructions.
<br>
<br>In my telephone call to PJB Security, they were (putting it mildly) less than polite to me, leaving me no option but to terminate the call (i.e. hang up) on the third occasion that they started shouting at me. I have not agreed to a site inspection as (1) they have been very rude (I am not in the habit of giving my address details to aggressive strangers), and (2) it seems clear they are simply looking to find fault with the installation. They have insisted that I had 'no right to submit a review without speaking to them first' and that I withdraw the above review. I don't feel this is appropriate.
<br>Consumers should note that although this product is 'Sold Secure', it is 'Bronze' (lowest) level only.
<br>On a brighter note, many thanks to the local constabulary who recovered the bikes and have been immensely helpful. 10/10. I am very grateful.