Sony DAV-S880 Review

• Sound Quality

• Ease of Set Up

Mark.'s review of Sony DAV-S880

Sony DAV-S880

“I bought this system to replace my old 2 speaker...”

Written on: 19/11/2002 by Mark. (1 review written)

First of all - I only payed 600 smackers for this system. - goto www.unbeatable.co.uk. they delivered it inside 18 hours of me ordering it. (not bad hah!!) Feels well built and stable. The silver and the smooth contour lines looks absolutely gorgeous, When I am watching TV - I find myself looking at the davs880 rather than bloody TV set. Did I mention it looks absolutely gorgeous,

Cheap speaker cables. (that some may find difficult to change) The worst looking and most unergonomic remote control you have ever seen. Don't be fooled by the glow in the dark effect on the remote, Yes it lights up in the dark but you still can't see the writing on the remote to tell you which button does what All disk take too long to start once it is in the player. If a component breaks 1 year after I bought it - I'll have to pay hundreds and wait months to get a new working system, but hey - that's how you get stung when you buy from Sony.
On screen displays are a little sparse (but I'm being a little picky)
Lacks just a little bit in mid range when you play Audio CD's compared to a standard 2 speakers HIFI, but it is bare noticeable if you are in the same room and a little more noticeable when your far away from the system.
The subwoofer looks like an expensive ashtray you may find in a flashy night club but hay - I love it. (or does that mean I love ashtrays)
Make sure you have the room to put the speakers in, they have quite a large base area so that they don't fall over.

If you get the davs880 from the net like I did then the chances are you wont get a European model meaning that you miss out on a few functions like RDS, but you'll find that you will be paying 200 to 300 pounds more for RDS (I say sod RDS - I'll type in the radio station names myself)

General Comments
I bought this system to replace my old 2 speaker HIFI
I connected up my PS2, VHS and sky box equipment inside 1 hour of getting it, using the optical input cable for the PS2 sound connection.
It loud enough for any large room in a standard 3/4 bedroom house, its not as loud as my old HIFI (pound for pound) but 10 times the quality and sound clarity, several times the bass and tops, just a very small lack in mid range tones when playing CD's and that depends on the CD you put in.
I would recommend it to anyone that want to replace their current HIFI stereo. I can guarantee that it's smaller, better looking and better performance than any HIFI stereo that you can pickup in you local Dixons, currys or standard electrical shop.
If you are a sound purest and like to spend £3000 on a CD player alone then you will probably think that system is a pile of pants but if you but from your local dixons, currys bla bla bla then I assure you, you won't hear any difference, I think that lots of small speakers is better than just 2 large speakers ( in terms of sound clarity)
SACD's just take your breath away
It plays all my VCDs' and MP3's without any problems (even the dodgy ones). The VCD's seems so much more clearer than on my PC.
Now my TV doesn't auto switch to an AV channel when my satellite is turned on, it did before I had the DAVs880 (ands its not because of my satellite decoder the menu function for this is enabled)
Overall, a brilliant system with quality sound, the DVD player absolute rocks in picture quality and sound. I have heard other home cinema system with more bas trembling sub woofers, but they are so powerful they over power the satellite subs, the DAVS880 sub woofer complements the satellite subs rather than drowning them out.
I played the first 15 minutes of saving private Ryan in full surround sound and dts. Gosh I thought I was actually there on the beach in France (good job I wasn't).

62358_Shawn.'s Response to 51920_Mark.'s Review

Written on: 04/01/2003

A great review of what appears to be a great product.
I have a question though... my TV has only scart sockets (on back) (s-video on front). I have looked at sites selling this model and they specify component video as well as composite. Well my question is: how do I connect this to my TV? I don't want to have to plug it into the s-video on the front. Is there a scart on the DVD player? Please help!

95622_Spidermanalf.'s Response to 51920_Mark.'s Review

Written on: 07/05/2003

Cd-wow.co.uk have it now multi region 600 quid inc del!!

79624_Shawn.'s Response to 51920_Mark.'s Review

Written on: 13/03/2003

my remote is the same, I find it a real pain. Also it is very sensitive, so pausing a movie or whatever sometimes becomes difficult. It pauses and pauses again, resulting in the movie to remain playing.
<br>Shawn

79602_Matt.'s Response to 51920_Mark.'s Review

Written on: 13/03/2003

I bought one of these a few months ago with a sony tv and matching cabinet - the remote doesn't work unless you point it straight at the unit. I thought it was the smoked glass doors but my sky & vcr remotes work perfectly well, infact I can point them anywhere in the room. Do I have a faulty remote or ir receiver or are they all like that? (yes I have brand new batteries, inserted correctly!)

76218_Shawn.'s Response to 51920_Mark.'s Review

Written on: 27/02/2003

take a look at http://www.techtronics.com, this is where I purchased my unit and they offer an upgrade to make them multi-region etc... they have all the info that you require on the site. (and they are usually much cheaper than Comet etc! Hope that helps. Oh, and sorry I can't help with the component video in the previous post, maybe check that the output device accepts component-I believe that plasma TVs do?, I just use the s-video on mine. Shawn

76146_Dav.'s Response to 51920_Mark.'s Review

Written on: 27/02/2003

There is a physical switch on the back of the base unit, when this is switch it changes the output, there will be no S Vid output it will be a progressive scan from the Componant outputs.
<br>Hope this helps.

75411_Robroy.'s Response to 51920_Mark.'s Review

Written on: 25/02/2003

I'm seriously thinking about buying this kit to replace my 18 year old much loved Technics HiFi and rubbish Accoustic Solutions DVD player. Comet are doing an Internet special of £630, sound good?.
Couple of questions, I have an old Panasonic TV (90s) Will I be able to intergrate it through the DAVS880?
Is the DAVs880 DVD player multi-region and RCE compatable?

Mil.'s Response to 51920_Mark.'s Review

Written on: 21/02/2003

just bought DAVS880 and it is great. However, having problems getting the Component out channel working for the DVD.
The manual says 'When mode is DVD and PROGRESSIVE is selected on SCREEN SETUP the signal is output only from the COMPONENT OUT jacks'
I did this but the output is still only comming from the S-Video.
Any ideas

65927_Jonathan.'s Response to 51920_Mark.'s Review

Written on: 17/01/2003

Shawn,
There is not scart on the Dav s880. The system has a yellow video out cable that comes with a scart adaptor so you have both options for connection to the TV.
The system is fabulous for DVD, however if your main priority is music I would take your 700 pounds and buy a separates sytem that you can add to over time!