Nikon FG Review

• Photograph Quality

Jaye.'s review of Nikon FG

Nikon FG

“This little marvel, is a true Nikon manual camera....”

Written on: 19/11/2002 by Jaye. (1 review written)

Lightweight, accessible to numerous quality lenses, easy to use, quality, build, tough, meters superbly, no mattter what format is used. Just a great little camera. Stands on its own against top of the line Nikon manual SLRs.

None.

General Comments
This little marvel, is a true Nikon manual camera. Don't let the size fool you, the FG stands on its own against the top of the line manual cameras, made by Nikon. This is the foundation for the new Nikon FM3A, manual camera. TTL, and OTL metering, the first, for Nikon. Hey, when the batteries are dying on ya, you can just switch over to the M90, setting, and the camera will work. M90, and the B settings are mechanically operating, so you bypass the dead batteries, and continue shooting. Hey with those top of the line manual Nkon SLRs, when u dead, u dead. But, not with this baby. It is a "little dynamo". The synch speed is 1/90. Match it up with a Nikon speedlite, or my choice, a Vivitar 550FD, some nice lenses, whether Nikon,or not. Hey inside note.....these other lense makers are catching up. Tokina, Tamron, Sigma, etc. Try one out. Quality glass. Many can be found on the used market in excellent condition. But this is a quality Nikon manual SLR. It eats its little bro, the FG-20 for lunch. Give this little dynamo a look. They are easy to find on ebay.com, Quality stuff.

75368_Andy.'s Response to 51877_Jaye.'s Review

Written on: 24/02/2003

I used to have a Nikon FG. Using a Sigma 24mm f2.8 I took a picture which still sells today of a B17 Bomber in the setting sun. That picture, and the money I made(and still continue to make) from it paid for an F3P, F4S and 11 different lenses from 17 to 600mm. I miss my FG. I might try and find another one some day...

Fatfreesyrup's Response to 51877_Jaye.'s Review

Written on: 16/09/2004

I just got a Nikon FG given to me from my uncle, which used to be my grandfathers, along with a soligor 80-200mm and a hoya 52mm. I have read great reviews on this camrea but one possibly small problem.
When the exposure compensation dial is on the green A or red P the shutter sticks closed when I take a pic but if I turn the dial to the b it opens. If the dial is on the b when taking a pic it doesn't stick.
<br>
<br> I need someone to tell me if it does this because it is broke or just something easily fixable.
<br>thanks my I would greatly appreciate it.

Sue Flanagan's Response to 51877_Jaye.'s Review

Written on: 16/07/2004

Just purchased the FG on e-bay at a remarkable (for me) price w/a cosina lens; need some help w/it as there is not an instruction book available and a few of the settings I am not familiar with. Otherwise seem to be quite happy w/it; have also a FG-20 w/a telephoto; am pretty much of a beginner have only been playing for about 4 yrs but am very excited w/both Nikons! So if anyone around has a copy of the instruction book that is not being used or could copy it and send on, please help. Name: Sue Flanagan
<br>e-mail: suzyflanagan@yahoo.com
<br>
<br>Thanks

Dave E.'s Response to 51877_Jaye.'s Review

Written on: 14/05/2003

The FG was my first camera, bought back in '93. I took it to Nepal in '94 with a Tamron SP 28-135 (from memory) and shot 30 rolls of Velvia with it. Every shot turned out as desired and some even made it to press. I recall the FG shooting when all other cameras had stopped due to the -60deg C conditions! A great little camera that has been sitting in the cupboard since the F90X arrived and more recently, the D100. Time to dust it off and get out there again! I did love the FG very much.

77367_Nawlins Rick.'s Response to 51877_Jaye.'s Review

Written on: 04/03/2003

Unfortunately my FG sits in the closet and collects dust since the purchase of a megapix digital camera. This camera has been used for everything form fireworks photography at the 89 World's Fair to being slung in the car to go on vacation. It has been reliable and taken massive abuse coming back like a champ every time. It was dropped down the concrete battre' (side of the levee)on the MIssissippi River and never missed a shot. I highly recommend it to the amature or the professional.