Walther NightHawk Review

Vasco's review of Walther NightHawk

“I received my Walther Nighthawk a week ago and took it...”

Written on: 02/11/2004 by Vasco (4 reviews written)

Manufacturer's attention to detail and finishes.
List of accessories included in the package.
Value for the price.

Double action only
small magazine (8)... I am pushing it here.

General Comments
I received my Walther Nighthawk a week ago and took it to the firing range over the weekend. What a delight!

Walther Co. has done an amazing job at putting this package together. I know that some people are putting the gun down for being an overpriced Walther CP Sport but I say that for the price you are getting a great deal filled with goodies.

The gun comes with a red dot sight, a "compensator" (not a silencer...) and a fairly powerful flash light with pressure trigger (or a twist trigger). All beautifully packaged in a very nice box.

The best value for the money is the gun itself with the red dot sight at about $150 (when you consider that the CP Sport with a similar red dot sight goes for $149 and a CP99 with a red dot sight goes for $205). The other gizmos are just nice to have and make the whole package a plus.

Flash Light - I really don't think that in real life you will be going out shooting with the flash light attached to it... (Unless you'll like to look like one of those tourists that carry their big old camera with a big old flash attached to it to take panoramic pictures right in the open... in the middle of the day...) But I suppose you can use it if you ever try to get rid of critters in the middle of the night. I can see the flash light creating a reflection in the eyes of little varmint and making them an easy target to take with the red dot.

Regarding the compensator - I really don't know what this thing does besides giving the BH a killer look. It doesn't muffle sound for sure and it doesn't look to be an extension to the barrel either. You can swap it for a real silencer if you can get one, it is my understanding that they are outlawed here in the States though so I won't be taking that route I guess (I would appreciate if someone could confirm that for me please).

The gun sounds pretty much the same to the naked ear with or without this piece. It does change however the feel of it and its looks.

Double action only - I placed this item as a low point. However, I have to say that the trigger is extremely nice and soft when compared to a Skiff 3000. If it was a single action too I am sure that it would be even better.

Pellet loader - The gun is so nice and easy to shoot that you go through the 8-pellet loader in a matter of seconds so it becomes a drawback to have to load it every so often. I haven't had any issues with pellets locking at all. The loading mechanism is quite straight forward and works well.

The gun's documentation rates it a 360 fps. As I mentioned I took it to the firing range and it does a superb job at 30 and 50 feet. Beyond that range it becomes very difficult to acquire your target and it's quite silly to be shooting an air hand-gun beyond that distance anyways... (In my humble opinion).

Safety mechanism - Very easy to engage (with one hand only) however, in order to disengage the lock you'll need both hands.

CO2 loading - It takes a couple of bottles (of CO2) to get used to the mechanism. The CO2 gets housed in a nice ammo magazine looking mechanism. This allows you to remove the ammo and CO2 to clean the gun or to remove a pellet in case it gets stuck.

Besides your typical twist screw you need to twist the entire bottom of the magazine in the direction indicated (load-open) and this is the part that can get to be a bit confusing.

You might twist it in the wrong direction making the magazine impossible to load as it will have parts facing the wrong way. After a couple of trials you get it the right way so I don't think it is a matter of concern.

I will be sighting the red-dot with a laser bore sight and I will calibrate it to 30 feet. I'll write an additional comment to let you all know how it performs (sometime this week).

One last thing regarding the red-dot sight...I placed a question in the BB regarding this but got no answers. When removing the protective transparent caps of the scope the front seems to have a piece missing. The tube has some inner threats showing and there is a lens of a reddish tint exposed quite into the tube. I would think that there would be a permanent lens at the end of the scope (kind of like at the beginning) but I could be wrong. If someone could please confirm this I would greatly appreciate it.

Please share your thoughts on this gun as there isn't that much info out there reviewing it. I am looking forward to hearing other people's experiences.

Have a safe shooting!

Joe16's Response to Vasco's Review

Written on: 20/12/2005

Hi, in response to the compensator/silencer issue, silencers for civilian guns of any kind are illegal in the states unfortunately. However, over here in England silencers for air guns (including your cp99) and the few rifles and shotguns are legal, so if you are really desperate to use silenceed weapons, then I suggest moving to the UK. Oh well.

Redd's Response to Vasco's Review

Written on: 10/02/2006

Your review was well thought out & professionally judged. Can't say that is the case with everything I've read as I too was looking for information on the Nighthawk. I'm now looking for info on the Beretta XX-TREME & if you have any knowledge, I would like to hear your personal input. Thanks for a good review...