Orange SPV C500 Review

• Reception

• Style

interace's review of Orange SPV C500

Orange SPV C500

“It's a long story how I ended up with an upgrade to...”

Written on: 28/10/2004 by interace (3 reviews written)

Good looks; screen; easy set-up; crystal clear call reception; easy access to Orange on-line services; battery life much improved from previous models;

Low resolution camera (which I don't need anyway); compatibility with Apple computers uncertain; small buttons awkward for some people; 16mb SD memory card needs upgrading for heavy use; not easy to get voice tags to work

General Comments
It's a long story how I ended up with an upgrade to the Orange SPV C500 "smartphone" rather than other models, but it boiled down to two things: this model was free to upgrade and the chap in the Orange shop claimed his brother can sync this model with an Apple Mac (why is it no manufacturer advertises compatibility with the Mac world?)

Still working on the synchronisation, though immediate impressions of the phone are that it performs very well. The design basics have been well refined, so this handset is a model of clarity, ease of use, compact design that won't bust any pockets or bags!

The C500 has an excellent and accessible feature set including a substantial number of Orange applications available to try free of charge, and undoubtedly looks the part.

While I'm not bothered about the camera, partly because of the restrictive use of a a VGA device when you can buy 7.2 megapixel cameras, little is wasted here. For the business professional, the data and connectivity options are well-directed (eg. synchronisation tools, email, Bluetooth, USB, modem), but you can also use it for leisure pursuits, gaming, travel and suchlike.

True, not everyone will like the idea of lining Bill Gates' capacious pockets still further, but there's no doubt the Microsoft mobile operating system works better than the equivalent on Motorola models, for example.

Why only 9/10? Well, I'm loathe to give anything 10/10, particularly on a relatively new product that hasn't yet had extensive field testing to measure its reliability. But I'm pretty content with my purchase, and so should most users.

• Battery Life

• Reception

• Style

Ethical321's Response to interace's Review

Written on: 07/11/2004

Very helpful. Thanks. Getting it very soon!

Interace's Response to interace's Review

Written on: 10/01/2005

I upgraded the 16mb memory to 256mb for £19. This seems more than adequate, and it's only a problem if you take a lot of photos (which I don't.)
<br>
<br>Another update since my original review: using PocketPC for Mac (c£17 as I recall), I've managed to connect my Orange SPV C500 to my Apple Powerbook and to syncronise files and data successfully.
<br>
<br>Furthermore, my phone has helped me with several long business rail journeys recently - I've become addicted to the Jawbreaker game!
<br>
<br>All round, an excellent phone I can recommend to anyone.

179412_Griggall's Response to interace's Review

Written on: 12/12/2004

Just Ordered one, thanks. Giving my SonyEricsson T610 to my brother, I loved it when I got it but the amount of memory is pathetic and the camera isn't up to scratch. Cheers

Ndwalsh's Response to interace's Review

Written on: 24/11/2004

Excellent review. Am awaiting delvier of mine. I've been through the SPV, E100, E200 and am currently on a Nokia 6230, but just fancy a change...