Sony DAV-S880 Review

• Sound Quality

• Ease of Set Up

Phil moore.'s review of Sony DAV-S880

Sony DAV-S880

“I decided to buy one of these Sony DAV-S880 DVD player...”

Written on: 15/11/2002 by Phil moore. (1 review written)

Plays MP3's, Compact, looks great.

Remote control takes a while to master. Instructions get a bit confusing.

General Comments
I decided to buy one of these Sony DAV-S880 DVD player systems as a replacement for both my Hi Fi and existing DVD player. The setup was very easy as they have custom connectors. The unit itself is very good looking, compared to other home cinema systems it's very small, but I am not too sure about the push in front loading (just picturing myself trying to get a stuck disk out with a knife).

It interfaces well with both my video and satellite. The MP3 feature on this is great as I have over 1000 tracks. DVD and CD playback is superb and the satellite speakers should give enough power for most soundtracks. The sound can be changed through filtering to give effects such as 'hall, 'stereo'

The RDS tuner included is good, and to setup presets is easy. Thoroughly recommended as being one of the top performing units I have listened to and far cheaper than comparable lifestyle systems. I purchased the system from Sony in Portsmouth for £730 (inc. multi regioning) around a week ago. The whole system is great and seems good value for money but only time will tell. I will update this review in a month as by then I should know it all.

63452_Gareth.'s Response to Phil moore.'s Review

Written on: 08/01/2003

I sort of agree - I love the look of mine, but it feels like I havent plugged the sub in right - I seem to have hardly and bass/mid range when watching TV through it. DVDs are very detailed, but again sound quite bass light..... any suggestions anyone?

91426_Anbe Shivam.'s Response to Phil moore.'s Review

Written on: 23/04/2003

Yeah Even my only fear after buying this system is the push in front loading , this seems to be bit critical for such good model of Sony...I fear whether this might damage my DVD's...
<br>
<br>Otherwise I feel good with this system.

Mr Bullfinch.'s Response to Phil moore.'s Review

Written on: 01/02/2003

yeah, like i said before. play the lord of the rings dvd "the first fight sceen" . just after that fella gets he's finger cut off and the ring falls to the ground, you should be able to "feel" and wave of base come from the sub.