Sony Ericsson T610 Review

• Reception

• Style

wmricketts's review of Sony Ericsson T610

Sony Ericsson T610

“When I first got the T610 phone just over a year ago I...”

Written on: 21/10/2004 by wmricketts (2 reviews written)

Easy to use
Big screen
Bluetooth
Good shortcuts

T9 Text message dictionary
Fragile joystick
Been superceded

General Comments
When I first got the T610 phone just over a year ago I absolutely loved it. Was a massive improvement on Sony J70. It is simple to use via central joystick and picture menus similar in style to Windows/Palm OS. The camera was pretty decent at the time, but technology in this area is improving all the time so was quickly superceded. I find the bluetooth incredibly useful, means I can keep phone on me at all times, use it as a diary and synch it with computer and PDA (via computer won't synch directly) later. I am also a big fan of vibrating ring which this does well, very rare to not feel a call, but often miss texts messages.

The problems really come with it after you have owned it for a while. The central joystick, which is used to control nearly all the features wears out pretty quickly (after about 8 months I think) which means you have to sometimes press it very hard but sometimes can work normally which can be very frustrating.

Another critcism is the dictionary for the T9 text input. After you add words to the dictionary these immediately go to the top of the list even if they are only a word you wanted to use once. Another frustrating thing is that the dictionary tries to change the order of words to put the most used words at the top of the list, which would be a great idea if it worked. Often words that you have never used come to the top of the list eg my phone now insists on saying gu instead of it, and you need to put in the word you want about 20 times before it goes back to the top of the list.

Finally the battery seems to die a death after about 14 months, although it was initially very good.

In summary I'd say this is a very good phone for someone on a monthly contract who gets a free upgrade after a year. I may be being a bit cynical but I think phones seem to be designed to last a year now then break to force you to upgrade/change contract. As a pay as you go customer where you want your phone to last as long as possible I'd give it a miss.

• Battery Life