Marantz PM7200 Review

• Sound Quality

nout's review of Marantz PM7200

Marantz PM7200

“The Marantz PM-7200 is an amazing amp for the money...”

Written on: 16/10/2004 by nout (1 review written)

Power
Musical weight
Refinement
Natural and sweet tempered
3D soundstage: deeeeeepth!

Lacks some punch and drive
Less acurate than rivals

General Comments
The Marantz PM-7200 is an amazing amp for the money and it will surprise even spoiled audio fanatics.

I'm not that spoiled actually and I bought this amp to replace an old Pioneer.

The improvement in sound was amazing, right out of the box it sounded already better than my old Pioneer.

At first the sound was a bit on the bright sight but already smoother than the Pioneer.

After 3 days the rough edges disappeared and the amps true character made itself known: a sweet, gentle and refined personality.

I therefore disagree with a former reviewer who claimed that bad recordings sound awful with this amp, in my experience this amp is very forgiving and it will not sound agressive even if you force him to. The Rotel RA-02 and NAD C352 with which I compared the Marantz certainly aren't that polite.

If this is a good thing is a matter of personal taste, I'm happy with it.

It has a strong and detailed bass and a very revealing, though smooth midrange.

Treble is detailed too, but without sounding rough and agressive and the soundstage is deep and wide.

A revelation, at least for me, I was already happy with the sound of my old amp, I'd never imagine an amp could sound this good for this amount of money.

• Sound Quality

• 1 - 6 Months

Time Amplifier Owned

Beemer's Response to nout's Review

Written on: 11/07/2006

i have to agree a bad recording will sound bad simply because the marantz will show every detail of a recording so a bad recording will show its true colours but that just shows how good the 7200. it reveals all the music in all it detail with good timing any pace so yes if you have a bad recording it will show that..

Keith Neal's Response to nout's Review

Written on: 12/08/2009

I found this review very helpful because...it is to the point. not overstated and honest
<br/>