Beeman R1 Review

• Accuracy

• Handling

Bill's review of Beeman R1

“Came to this rifle review site and noticed there were...”

Written on: 13/09/2004 by Bill (1 review written)

Reliability, power, overall quality

Heavy at 8.8 lbs

General Comments
Came to this rifle review site and noticed there were 28 reviews on the Weihrauch HW80 but none for the Beeman R1. The Beeman came first and the HW80 soon followed.

I believe they are identical in spec's, but if not, they are VERY similar.

The R1 has the best trigger of any firearm I've owned. It can be set extremely light which is what I like. The stock is high quality, comparable to heavy stocks on large caliber centerfire rifles. After 20 years of use the gun still functions flawlessly and I've never sent it back for tuning or adjustments.

To shoot this magnum springer properly takes concentration and practice. Once shouldered I let it balance on top of my forehand instead of grasping it. The trigger hand rests ever so lightly on the grip....Don't lean your cheek hard into the stock. If you do your part the gun will shoot ragged one hole groups easily at 50 ft and probably greater distances. Nice to know too that I could sell the gun at a much higher price than when I bought it.

• Accuracy

• Handling

Hunter3000's Response to 123276_Bill's Review

Written on: 30/03/2005

I've been looking at the CFX, Shadow, Hunter 1250 and some of the other magnums lately. Just felt like a new airgun. I've owned a Beeman R1 for over 20 years and hadn't shot it for a long time. Well I got it out and ran a tin of pellets through it. Not looking any more, instead I'm investing the money in a good 4-16x56 scope, one piece mount and some other goodies. See, the gun kinda' reminds me of my wife. Sure there are others that look a bit sleeker, maybe perform a bit faster, and don't have quite so many miles on them but they just don't have the quality or the comfortable familiarity and they havn't stood the test of time like this one has.

Mad Dog's Response to 123276_Bill's Review

Written on: 24/08/2005

I'm glad you are enjoying your R1. But, Beeman is not a manufacturer, they are simply an importer. Weihrauch/HW is and has always been the producer of the HW80 and the Beeman R1. Only very minor differences between the two.

Pcp4Me's reply to Mad Dog's Comment

Written on: 31/08/2013

Agreed. Beeman to my knowledge never made any of their guns. They just imported them!

BUT, Mr Beeman sure knew quality and value in air guns.

Over the years I owned an R1, C1, and an R9, all in .177 caliber.

The R9 was my favorite, and I had it 16 year before trading it for a pcp. The C1 I had less than a year, and did not particularly like it. The R1 I had for about 9 years, but did not shoot it near as much as the R9.

Simply put, the R9 was much easier to cycle and shoot accurately than the R1. And I killed hundreds or fox and grey squirrels with it, as well as a few rabbits, and many starlings and grackles! When traded it had over 5,000 rounds through it and never needed any other than routine maintenance. Never had to replace any parts or seals. And it was still shooting in the 800 fps range with 7.9 gr chp when traded.

The R1 is an excellent gun, but if I was going to get back into spring guns again, my money would go into another R9.