Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Review

• Image Quality

• Battery Life

fivish's review of Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom

Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom

“Despite the three white pixels and surprisingly loose...”

Written on: 12/08/2004 by fivish (5 reviews written)

Takes both xD and CF and is totally configurable.

OEM battery, so no reserve AA's.
Three permanent white pixels which the remapping function won't remove.

General Comments
Despite the three white pixels and surprisingly loose lens barrel the Olympus C-8080WZ is a magnificent beast.

I bought this to replace my ten year old Nikon F601 + 35-70 + 70-210. Prior to this I had a Nikon FT2 and a Nikon F301 so I have been used to top notch quality for over 30 years.

I am very pleased with the results, they are comparable with 35mm at least up to A4. I don't know yet about 30x20's which from 200asa 35mm film have proved entirely acceptable. I think I will have to manually touch up the white pixels before going beyond A4 and then with raw file sizes or some 30MB. My computers hard disk is rapidly filling up! This is clearly the best prosumer camera on the market. The SLRs at twice the price offer nothing more except the abilty to change the lens. With this you don't need to. The 28-140 optical zoom extends to 420mm with the digital added in at the top end and still with 2.7 Mpix resolution results are still Ok up to 7X5. At 210mm equivalent its still giving 5.3 Mpixel resolution so even A4 is good.

• Battery Life