Cambridge Audio DAB300 Review

• Sound Quality

Mark Flury's review of Cambridge Audio DAB300

Cambridge Audio DAB300

“The Cambridge Audio DAB300 is my 4th DAB tuner (!)...”

Written on: 05/08/2004 by Mark Flury (4 reviews written)

Excellent Sound Quality, works a treat.

Band III only, no L-Band reception.

General Comments
The Cambridge Audio DAB300 is my 4th DAB tuner (!) since 2001, after a Videologic DRX601E and 2 Arcam DT81's, all of which failed. As I live near Crystal Palace, that could have something to do with it, but no problems with the Cambridge, even considering I use the wire aerial supplied indoors.

Set-up was simple and I like the way the Cambridge scans for stations when it's switched on.

Reception is amazing, particularly on live Radio 3 concerts, you almost feel like you are there in the audience and Radio 4 speech sounds fine, although annoying in mono, when my FM tuner with the same programme is in stereo.

In all am very pleased with it: will be buying more Cambridge Audio gear when my present Hi-Fi needs replacing.

Also I might add the excellent customer service from Richer Sounds, unlike Sevenoaks HiFi, where I had major problems getting a refund after the 2nd tuner (replacing a faulty 1st one) also developed the same fault and before returning my money, they made lots of lame excuses why they couldn't do a refund, (on that score I wonder if some of their staff used to work for another High Street electrical store?!)

The Arcam costs me £650 and the Cambridge DAB 300 (I paid £150) beats it hands down!

The only niggle is that there is no L-Band. The Arcam had L-Band, but it didn't work long enough for me to use it!

• Sound Quality