Bosch Cyclone Jet BUC11700UC Review

• Style

• Service & Support

walkerm's review of Bosch Cyclone Jet BUC11700UC

Bosch Cyclone Jet BUC11700UC

“Bosch Cyclone Jet is a very cool looking Vacuum! Look...”

Written on: 29/07/2004 by walkerm (10 reviews written)

Very very powerfull
Looks cool as!
Easy and clean to empty.

Quite heavy.
Naf accessory storage.

General Comments
Bosch Cyclone Jet is a very cool looking Vacuum! Look closely at the picture, great curves, colour and a very innovative way of getting the dirt from the floor to the container. As for cleaning, it is amazing. I put it to a 'vacuum challenge', the Dyson vs. the Bosch. I hovered two similar areas (about 2sqr Metres each) of dirty carpet; one with the Dyson, one with the Bosch. I then emptied and cleaned both vacuums, swapped them over and re-hovered the areas (so that each vacuum was cleaning the area previously cleaned by the other). The Bosch picked up a lot of dirt (16 grams, according to the kitchen scales), showing the Dyson had not done a great job; the Dyson picked up very little (2 grams), showing that the Bosch had done a much better job. Not a wholly scientific experiment, but that clinched it for me.

The last thing to mention is emptying it. The container comes off very easily (and quite coolly...), has an integrated antistatic switch (click it and the fine dust falls off the internal 'HEPA' filter into the main container) and the bottom is a flap, so you click and shake into the bin - dirt drops out without clouds everywhere. Love it!

Ok, just to prove I don't have shares in Bosch there are down sides to this cleaner:

While the cleaner has a sprung-loaded cable-return, it is actually quite fiddly to use as the cable goes in the machine at the base and you have to get the cable over a 'hook' on the main handle when it is out.
The hose is VERY springy and doing stairs usually ends up with a family member holding the cleaner at the bottom of the stairs while someone else actually cleans. Other wise the cleaner would try getting up the stairs! Putting the hose back (it slides into the pipe which clips to the front of the cleaner) is also quite hit-and-miss; the manual recommends turning the cleaner on and sucking it in - all a bit haphazard.
Accessory storage looks like it has been an after-thought. It comes with a slightly naf curtain/ difficult-area attachment that hooks behind the main handle along with a thin nozzle attachment. All a bit loose and 'unsatisfying' (Maybe I do need to see more of the outside world!).
Its heavy. End of story. I've not weighed it, but it seems to be the most heavy upright I've ever used and when the brush-roller is turned on (it can be turned off for smooth surfaces) pushing the thing is a whole new battle. This is certainly a vacuum for the fitter among us.
Bottom line is; we have one and we like it. However, we also still use the Dyson - Dyson upstairs, Bosch downstairs. Carting the Bosch up/downstairs would either make me a candidate for the Olympics, or kill me. If you want a stylish cleaner that boasts a damn good suck that really cleans and you are fit/healthy, I 100% recommend this vaccum cleaner.

• Under a month