Garmin StreetPilot 2620 Review

• Clarity of Instructions

• Map Accuracy

deesy58's review of Garmin StreetPilot 2620

Garmin StreetPilot 2620

“After trying unsuccessfully to route an accurate trip...”

Written on: 29/07/2004 by deesy58 (1 review written)

Beanbag mounting bracket. Built-in map of US and Canada.

Unable to correctly route trips through the Denver and Southeastern Wyoming area. Two different units, with latest software installed, both produced the same errors.

General Comments
After trying unsuccessfully to route an accurate trip from Las Vegas to Wisconsin via Denver and Rapid City, SD over a dozen times with the Garmin Streetpilot 2620 Satellite navigation system, I installed the latest software and called Garmin Technical Support. I spent about four hours on the telephone with them, and they insisted that they could not reproduce the problem (haven't we all heard that before!). I finally took the relatively expensive unit back to the store where I had purchased it, and I exchanged it for another one. Same problem!

It obviously isn't the particular unit -- it is the design! The StreetPilot 2620 clearly cannot accurately route a trip through the Denver and Southeastern Wyoming area without including inane, circular detours which, if you followed the route, would take you over the same roads two or three times.

This unit is a relatively new product and is clearly "not ready for prime time." Avoid it.

228638_Rpbphoenix's Response to deesy58's Review

Written on: 05/02/2006

Just out of the box, my Garmin 2620 is telling me it cannot find satellites in the USA. It is trying to program from a "home" in Singapore, more than 7000 miles from my home just outside of NYC and then telling me there are no streets (of course not, it's ocean!) to chart that course. Although this model was recently praised as one of the best in Business Week and has many devotees on Amazon, one previous Amazon buyer also noted the unit's inability to reprogram to a US satellite system. Obviously, this is a glitch which hasn't been recitifed. In the program setup guide, no mention is made of possible satellite complications. I guess I will be returning the item and hoping for a better outcome.

Deesy58's Response to deesy58's Review

Written on: 11/04/2006

Your experience with a BusinessWeek review just shows, again, why people should never rely on product reviews from publications in which the supplier of the product places advertising in the magazine. It is only at Web sites like this one that you can expect to learn the truth about any product. Garmin Technial Support was eventually able to reproduce my problem (when they stopped using their desktop computer simulators and began using a real product), but they had no solution for this really blatant and serious software error. They told me to wait for an update release to the software. Well, they've had a couple of software update releases for this model, and they have added some really "useful" features, like navigating the streets of London, England, but their release notes have not indicated that the software problems that prevented me from using my Garmin 2620 had ever even been addressed -- much less solved. I think that Garmin is trading on its name, and I think that BusinessWeek did its readers a disservice.