Acoustic Solutions DS 633 Review

• Sound Quality

dougie's review of Acoustic Solutions DS 633

Acoustic Solutions DS 633

Acoustic Solutions DS 633 Review: ”

Written on: 03/07/2004 by dougie (6 reviews written)

Price, sound, looks.

Nothing really.

General Comments
Acoustic Solutions DS 633 Review:

For many years I have had a dolby pro-logic television and thought that it had fairly decent sound, but I felt there was something lacking in the sound quality. So I went and bought my first home cinema system out of Argos, the Acoustic Solutions DS633 for £79.99.

Out of the box you get everything you need a co-axial cable a set of AV leads for connecting sky/video etc and fairly decent lengths of speaker cable, set up is a piece of cake all the speakers and speaker terminals are colour coded so you can't go wrong!!!.

Now the system itself is very nice looking and does not look or feel cheap or nasty, the 5 satellite speakers are fairly compact and have a nice matt silver finish and the sub-woofer is a nice size and does not dominate or look intrusive in my living room (which keeps the wife happy!!!). The amp-subwoofer has 2 aux inputs a co-axial input and an optical input. It has 4 surround modes stereo, pro-logic,5.1 and dts. It also has 5 preset sounds rock, pop, dance etc but I find the classic setting sounds best-the rest sound artificial. All the speakers can be adjusted individually to suit your seating position. Strangely though the remote control sensor is built into the centre speaker, most other systems this is on the amp-subwoofer which adds another unnecessary cable connection from your centre speaker.

After set up I tried a DVD and WOW- AWSOME- what a difference to pro-logic, sound effects were thrown all about my living room through all 5 satellite speakers and the sub woofer enhances the action even more with bass which literally shakes the house!!!!. I also have my sky hooked up and even movies in pro-logic through the DS633 sound even better than my tv. I also play music cds and they even sound great. DONT be put off by the 100watts of power(5x15w satellites 25w sub) this is more than ample power the volume goes up to 40 but I never have it above 25 and even that is ear bursting!!.

There are a couple of minor niggles but nothing drastic, when you switch the power off and back on to use again the volume comes on at 17 which does not go down well at night when the kids are in bed so make sure your source component is switched off before switching the amp on. Also on quiet scenes (more so vid/sky) there is a hissing from all the speakers but not enough to distract you from the viewing pleasure unless you are sitting right next to a speaker.

But over all what more do you want if you are on a budget or like me this is your first experience of 5.1 and just want to see what all the hype is about without bursting the bank.SO - £80 ARGOS- GO GET ONE, you won't be dissapointed.

• Sound Quality

Steve68's Response to dougie's Review

Written on: 07/11/2004

"Also on quiet scenes (more so vid/sky) there is a hissing from all the speakers but not enough to distract you from the viewing pleasure unless you are sitting right next to a speaker."
<br>
<br>Nonsense. Bought one today and taking it back tomorrow. I sat over 10 feet away from the subwoofer. Regardless of which input source I used the loud hum from it is clearly audible on all but action scenes with volume set for comfortable listening.

223689_Smeagal26's Response to dougie's Review

Written on: 04/01/2006

My system has no buzz from the sub, but my led display keeps jumping around, and is sometimes impossible to know what function your using, and what level my speakers are at. Has anyone else had this problem? other than that exelent system, 8/10. without display problem it would have been 10/10

Written on: 09/01/2005

SORRY To everyone who has had problems with this system, trust me my system would be back in a heartbeat if it was faulty (and I have taken many a thing back!!!) If it was not to my expectations!!!! I am only giving an honest report on my system and mine works fine and does not have a noisy subwoofer.

Artist's Response to dougie's Review

Written on: 04/01/2005

Yeah me to.....terrible BUZZ from the sub...
<br>
<br>Damn shame as the sound was good....

Tom Hickinbottom's Response to dougie's Review

Written on: 02/01/2005

I too had a bad hum from the sub. Unbareable when the system is not in use. And annoying when watching a movie that isn't action packed. Was thinking of replacing with another but after reading this review I'm going to get my money back. Good system if they can sort out the humming.

Alan2Duggan's Response to dougie's Review

Written on: 06/12/2004

Loud hum from my subwoofer too, had to take it back.

Alan2Duggan's Response to dougie's Review

Written on: 06/12/2004

Bought the DS633 and intolerable hum from subwoofer also. Pity because otherwise it was a good setup for the money, just had to take it back.
<br>Alan Bradford

Written on: 30/11/2004

Thank you Cotsy, at least someone agrees with me!!
<br> Dougie

Cotsy's Response to dougie's Review

Written on: 27/11/2004

Bought one day & no humming from my sub, brilliant buy for the money!

Steve68's Response to dougie's Review

Written on: 17/11/2004

Did do and had same problem. Two work colleagues got 1 from a different supplier and also had same problem. Therefore I can have any faith in a product that has the same 'fault' as you call it on 4 different systems

Written on: 16/11/2004

Sorry to hear about your faulty sub-woofer Steve but you can't really call my review nonsense as the one I have works perfectly fine -why don't you get a replacement and see if you still have the same problem it may be a dodgy batch!!!!

Saldub's Response to dougie's Review

Written on: 12/11/2004

Yeah I have to agree with steve 68, wish I had seen this review before buying. It's being put in the box as we speak to be returned. Unbeliveably bad humming from sub-woofer unless you have the volume at wall shaking level. Good set up otherwise but very very dissapointed.