Hamster Review

willowangel1's review of Hamster

“I had a hamster and it lived for 1 year and 5 months....”

Written on: 21/06/2004 by willowangel1 (3 reviews written)

I had a hamster and it lived for 1 year and 5 months. Unfortunately my friends were unlucky and theirs only lived for 10 months. It says in all guide books that they need to be handled every day, but I got mine out 3 times a week and it was very tame. It only ever bit me once when I first had it. I'd have to say to anyone who gets one that they need cleaning out weekly and it's a lot getting them out regularly. I must admit there was one stage in which I didn't get my hamster out for 2 weeks and was considering taking it back to the pet shop. If you do get one then you need to be up to looking after it for at least 2 and a half years. On average I'd say they live about 1 year, but my best mate's hamster did last for 3 and a half years. On cages, I would get Rotastack even though they're expensive. You have to pull it apart and assemble it, but they last ages. You do need to make sure you have at least 1 room with bars. If you get a smaller cage, you probably will have to get your hamster out more.

Cacomistle's Response to willowangel1's Review

Written on: 24/08/2004

Was this review a joke? seriously? I can't believe this person so lightly added that they didn't get their hamster out for 2 weeks, that's terrible. They seem to have forgotten that another reason you should get out your hamster every day is to let it get some physical and mental exercise not just so it doesn't bite you!(If properly handled when they're young, hamsters are naturally good natured and won't bite you). Even worse though, was the comment about taking it back to the pet store as if the poor creature was a broken toy. I think this review must have been a joke no one can be that ignorant can they? Even so it gives me a chance to put across the message that you shouldn't buy an animal unless you are responsible enough to look after it properly!