Ocean Village Cruises, Ocean Village Mediterranean Review

• Food - quality & variety

• Entertainment on board

talkingpoint's review of Ocean Village Cruises, Ocean Village Mediterranean

“First of all I have to say I have read the 2 previous...”

Written on: 12/06/2004 by talkingpoint (1 review written)

Excellent attentive and courteous staff, very good and plentiful food, very nice spacious cabins, lots to keep you occupied even if the weather is not too good

Excursions ashore not the best and a little on the expensive side

General Comments
First of all I have to say I have read the 2 previous reviews of the Ocean Village Cruise Ship and I am appalled by the inaccurate description of this Mediterranean Cruise holiday. These people must have been on a different ship or on another planet. To describe other passengers as 'scum' and 'louts' as one reviewer does is just inexcusable.

We normally holiday in minimum 4* and usually 5* hotels, and I personally have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world (on business) and we found that Ocean Village certainly compares favourably with most 4* hotels.

This was our first cruise, and we enjoyed it very much despite the weather not being very good. The ship is well equipped and very stable,(we had high winds on our first night out but the ship remained relatively smooth). Cabins are spacious and kept spotlessly clean. The food which is self service in the two main restaurants is of a very high standard and as plentiful as you want it, whenever you want it.

As I say the restaurants are self service so if you wait for a waiter (as one reviewer seems to have done) then you will wait a very long time. Staff in the restaurants are very efficient , they bring any drinks you want very quickly and tables are cleared , cleaned, and relaid as soon as they are vacated.

The two waiter service restaurants 'The Bistro' and 'La Luna' have a la carte menus at a small supplement and are well worth at least one visit during your cruise.

Action ashore excursions are available at every port but are not the best and can be a little on the expensive side. The only member of staff we had any issue with was a rather arrogant american girl from the action ashore team. All of the other staff were extremely efficient, courteous, and very friendly.

Our cabin boy was very helpful and courteous, towels and sheets were changed regularly and anything we left laying around was respectfully tidied or put away for us, if we asked for more supplies of tea etc. they were brought immediately.

Entertainment on board is good and featured some very good visiting comedians and tribute acts. The onboard entertainment team work very hard and put on some good shows, the only comment we would make is that the shows were too short and you often had to move to another bar to catch the next act.

It is true that Ocean Village is a casual ship but most passengers smartened up and covered up for meals and in the evening.

We met many people from all walks of life, some were seasoned cruisers , many like us were first timers, but all agreed that Ocean Village is good value for money. We are definitely hooked on cruising and will not hesitate to go on this ship again.

• May 2004

• Food - quality & variety

• Entertainment on board

Dangeroos Dave's Response to talkingpoint's Review

Written on: 13/07/2004

As a user of 4 and 5 star hotels, to lay a comparison between a budget cruise which was your very first reflects a lack of knowledge and experience upon cruise ship standards.
<br>
<br>I think it would be more prudent for users to read the "EXPERT" review, which although more politely put than my own review reflects most of my comments. In very simple terms, once you've tasted nectar you never eat flowers again and "we" as a family having cruised many times from differing ports ARE in a position to compare, both operators and clientele.
<br>
<br>You are obviously proud of your roots, good for you Sir but a business expense account only veils so little...
<br>
<br>PS - I hear that an undercover UK journalist and camera crew were booted off the ship in June, that came from a tour manager based in Palma. We wonder what attracted the media to this ship, hmmmm?

Tezza's Response to talkingpoint's Review

Written on: 12/09/2004

Most of what is contained in this review I would agree with wholeheartedly other than the comments on the entertainment, Ocean Village really do need to address the whole "entertainment package", especially the Diva Experience. However, this is not what prompted me to comment on this report. Actually it was the comments made by "Dangeroos Dave" which spurred me to put keyboard to internet. I found his comments both pompous and presumptive. Pompous by the fact that he talks as though he is the only person qualified to make comparisons, and presumptive in his comments about knowing the writer's origins and patronisingly telling them that he is glad that they have not forgotten their roots.
<br>You are not the only seasoned and varied traveller on the planet sir, I also have travelled and tasted both the nectar and the flowers and can honestly say that each tastes slightly different but both are equally attractive to the Honey Bee. As you have commented on this report one may probably assume that you have read other reviews about this ship prior to booking your cruise aboard her. This being the case, WHY DID YOU SAIL ON HER?
<br>You are obviously far too sophisticated to lower yourself to these levels of holiday hell, so may I suggest that you holiday amongst the type of people to whose lifestyle you obviously aspire, and leave us poor commoners to our 'BUTLINS AFLOAT'. I actually sailed on Ocean Village last year and have booked again for next year. I have also travelled aboard Oceania, Aurora, QE2, and Legend of the Seas, perhaps showing that I too might know what I am talking about.
<br>
<br>P.S. I must apologise for the poor eloquence of this reply but 'It's the roots you know'

Louisehanson's Response to talkingpoint's Review

Written on: 10/09/2004

Can I please ask why Dangeroos Dave is commenting so bitchy about other people's reviews. So you wrote a review that was criticising Ocean Village. So you didnt enjoy it and obviously enjoy a different kind of holiday. But I just think it is very rude to be so childish and write remarks about other people's reviews. If you didnt enjoy Ocean Village, fair enough. There is no need to keep going on and on about it, by being bitchy about other people's comments. Everyone is different and have different opinions. why not just accept and respect that?