Ragdoll Review

karenbanbury's review of Ragdoll

Ragdoll - These cats are not as pathetic as their...”

Written on: 01/06/2004 by karenbanbury (1 review written)

Beautiful
Affectionate
Very soft fur
Irresistably floppy especially when tired

NONE

General Comments
Ragdoll - These cats are not as pathetic as their breed descriptions suggest. Mine has a great character - loves playing with my other cats - loves being outside, especially if you are there too. Isn't overly floppy like you'd expect - except if he is sleepy and then he'll let you cuddle him like a baby, relaxing so he's in almost any position you put him in.

He's very friendly and quite brave - I've heard that you shouldn't let them outside and I completely disagree with this - my one loves going outside although he doesn't stray too far.

He has an inquisitive nature but not manic like some moggies can be.

All in all, I would really recommend this cat to anyone - you probably will only see true ragdoll-ness coming through after a year - and the more you love them, the more they love you back.

C0Co's Response to karenbanbury's Review

Written on: 16/08/2004

I also let my Ragdoll cat go outside, and she loves it too!I think because all ragdolls are sold on the basis of keeping them indoors that nobody has really researched whether it is true or not that they are defenseless. My ragdoll kitten is DEFINATELY not defenseless!
<br>She chases off other cats that are in the garden and growls at them! She also caught a little mouse and came running in the house to show me (she let it go,so its still alive!) and she is very good at catching moths and spiders and eating them too, so really I think these cats haven't been given a chance of being normal outdoor cats as they have never been given the chance to go outside.
<br>Is it really possible to have created an indoor only cat like the Ragdoll or is it just a selling tactic for the breed? (which started in America where 90% of pet cats are indoor only cats)
<br>I really think people should make up there own minds about why there cat should be an indoor only cat and not only go by and believe what other people tell them.
<br>I have also not come across any statistics or hard facts about why these cats should be kept inside, its sounds like word of mouth and myths.

Guest's Response to karenbanbury's Review

Written on: 26/06/2011

I agree, i got my Ragdoll from a Rescue group but he had been let outside from a Kitten, so to keep him in would be cruel. I did it for 3 weeks and he almost died with depression. Yes they are soft, but they are cats, they come from Siamese and Persian cross. They have the same wits about them deep down. When people say they are ''indoor'' cats I believe that is a selfish notion. If they are show quality I can perhaps appreciate this, but even if their life is shorter, would you rather it be a happy life, or one where they are caged. It's cruel to keep a cat, any cat indoors. Cats roam, that's what they do. My Raggie is 10, and very very happy. Yes I do keep a close eye on him when he is out, but to not let them outside is just selfish, maybe these people are trying to save money from vets bills??? who knows...as you can tell I am totally against keeping cats indoors!

471452_Sjward's Response to karenbanbury's Review

Written on: 06/07/2009

Thank you for that, i have just got my Ragdoll Kitten he is 3 months old. At what age did you let your cat out to venture into your garden.

Mozart's Response to karenbanbury's Review

Written on: 27/03/2009

Hi there I have a ragdoll kitten he is very loving but unfortunately every night about 7.00 p.m he turns into a psycho you cant get near him and if you try he just bites you and runs away, but also jumps all over the furniture, not good on a leather suite but I wouldnt be without him and I am hoping once he is6 months old and I can take him to be neutered he will quiet down, hopefully
<br/>

Fostermum's Response to karenbanbury's Review

Written on: 15/10/2004

Thanks, COco. I think he does have a very low boredom threshold(just like me :)), but short of keeping him occupied 24/7 I can't see a way round it.
<br>
<br>He does have access to outdoors as we have a cat-flap, but this leads to a well-enclosed and safe back garden. He went out a fair bit when we first got him but doesn't seem too keen now that the weather has become colder and wetter.
<br>
<br>I've bought him various new toys and two new beds, the reason for the latter being that he loves to find an enclosed dark place to sleep. Neither of these were a success as he prefers the wash basket!
<br>
<br>I guess I'll just have to take him as he comes which is no great hardship as he is a sweetheart.

C0Co's Response to karenbanbury's Review

Written on: 14/10/2004

Do you let him outside at all?
<br>I have copied out a paragraph from a book called 'Cat Confidential' by Vicky Halls.
<br>
<br>It may be that he is just bored and wailing for attention? As a normal outdoor cat can fill up their day with many things, an indoor cat can become very bored and depressed.
<br>
<br>'Behavioural problems in the indoor cat'
<br>
<br>'Whatever lifestyle your own cat enjoys, the ability to see things from a feline perspective will always ensure that you are doing your very best. Cats have numerous talents including adaptability and this is one of the many reasons they are so popular. However, there are times when a bored cat can easily become focused on issues that would not normally be important and these can create stress. A cat may become over-attatched to its owner or 'obsessed' with food. The most worrying result could be the poor cat performs repetitive sequences of behaviour that herald the onset of a stereotypical or obsessive-compulsive problem. Just think of the pacing tigers and the weaving bears in the dreadful old-style zoos and you will understand what I am saying. Many of the behavioural cases I see involve cats kept exclusively indoors. Their paws are inevitably idle unless preventative steps are taken' <br>'so,we are trying to justify keeping cats indoors,and rather than saying 'sure, they look perfectly happy' we should really be assesing them in a more scientific way that is more sympathetic to their species and their natural behavior.'
<br>
<br>Or you may just have a very talkative Ragdoll :)....I have seen other posts around the web with people saying their Ragdoll meows all the time, and my cat was one of them....although she has stopped now that she has been given more things to do in her day.

Fostermum's Response to karenbanbury's Review

Written on: 14/10/2004

I am at present fostering a male ragdoll for a relative. He is very affectionate with all the characteristics previously mentioned, except for one thing. He has periods of prolonged, monotonous wailing which can occur at any time of the day or night.
<br>
<br>Apparently he has always done this but the habit is at odds with the description of ragdolls as being very quiet cats. Has anyone had the same experience? I do feel concerned for him when he does this as he is such a sweetie.
<br>Any advice appreciated.