Written on: 31/05/2004 by sirg0508 (9 reviews written)
A great album and very emotional
Eva Cassidy's Time After Time has to be listened to to be believed. It is simply amazing with more of my favourite songs all on one album. This album was released in 2000 even though Eva died in 1996 of cancer. Unfortunately, the album only reached number 25 in the charts unlike Songbird, Imagine and the most recent American Tune which all reached number 1.
1. Kathy's Song
2. Ain't No Sunshine
3. The Letter
4. At Last
5. Time After Time
6. Penny To My Name
7. I Wandered By A Brookside
8. I Wish I Was A Single Girl Again
9. Easy Street Dream
10. Anniversary Song
12. Way Beyond The Blue
Information about the songs:
1. Kathy's Song - This is a shorter version to that of what Eva sang in the Studio. Written by Paul Simon. Eva's guitar playing has to be listened to - simply amazing! Eva sings the original second stanza. The full version can be found on 'Live At Pearls' (currently unreleased). This is about a rainy day when your mind is wandering away and quite confused. You are warching the rain fall on the window and you know that you are like the rain, on a weary path and then you die, 'There before the Grace of you go I'.
2. Ain't No Sunshine - Eva has changed the 'she' to 'he'. Written by Bill Withers. A full band performance recorded live at Blues Alley, Jan 3rd 1996. I'm sure I first heard this one on Notting Hill and didn't really like it much so it put me off this version but I gradually became to like it. It is about your love being away from you and there is no sun, it's not warm, and you have no idea where he has gone or when he wil be back.
3. The Letter - Written by Wayne Carson Thompson. Eva has also changed 'she' to 'he' on this song. Recorded at the Blues Alley session, Jan 3rd 1996. Great live sound, great drumming by Raice Mcleod. This one is about hearing from the one you love and he wants you to come home. You are talking to someone selling the plane tickets and you don't care how much you have to spend, you just want to get home.
4. At Last - Written by Mack Gordon/ Harry Warren. This was not performed live. This is just Eva and her guitar. Other well known recordings by Etta James, Ella Fitzgerald. This version is shorter than the original but Eva does not change the lyrics to what she does sing. It is about finally falling in love with someone and everything finally becomes perfect - blue skies and someone you can hold. Unfortunately, I think Eva didn't really know what she was singing about because she turned it into quite a depressing tune!
5. Time After Time - written by Cyndi Lauper / Robert Andrew Hyman. This was recorded live at the Maryland Inn, again just Eva and her guitar. This is a great song and I love the guitar solos.
6. Penny To My Name - Written by Roger Henderson. This was first released under the Title 'Mountain Gas Station Home' on Rogers Re-plugged CD. Eva's brother plays violin on the track. It is about having 3 children so young in life that you wish you were alone to do things you want to do and not have so much demand against you. You have never seen the lights of the city and even though the country looks beautiful to people, it looks boring and normal to you.
7. I Wandered By A Brookside - words by Alfred Williams, tune by Barbara Berry. A late, and worthy, addition to the Time After Time album after being "discovered" by the album's sleeve designer Eileen White. I love this song. Eva sings it with such clarity. It is about visiting a mill but it is no longer working. It is so quiet that all you can hear is your own heart beating. It makes you so sad, that tears begin to fall from your eyes. Someone comes and stands beside you but neither of you say a word. It is just a prefect love and at last there are two hearts beating that you can hear.
8. I Wish I Was A Single Girl Again - Written by Harlan Howard. This song was taught to Eva when she was young. Recorded in a variety of different styles. This is a shorter version than is found on Live At Pearls. It is about being in a relationship but looking back on when you were single, you used to have great clothes but now you are married you go in rags. You have so much work to do when you are married and it has to be done.
9. Easy Street Dream - Written by Steven Digman. This was not performed live. Alternate version found on the single of "It doesn't matter anymore". I love this song. It is about the day after a very drunken night, but any love that you find so easily is never going to work out. It is always going to end badly. It wasn't love but only pleasure, staring into the future you can only see his face.
10. Anniversary Song - written by Steven Digman. Not performed Live. This is a very sad song and guaranteed to make me cry. It is about a very special anniversary, that you never though you would live this old, and the Lord has always been behind you even when you thought you were wrong and he shouldn't have been. Its your birthday and you apologise for all the tears and regrets, but you have always saved the poetry so you won't forget. As the day turns into night, you will dream of paradise with the one you love.
11. Woodstock - written by Joni Mitchell. Performed live at the Maryland Inn at the same time as Time After Time. It is about meeting someone who is going to join a band, you join them and by the time you get there, you are like an army as there are so many of you. You are like stardust and make a difference to the world. The bomber jet plane fire shots which turn into butterflies signifying peace.
12. Way Beyond the Blue - traditional. This is one of the first songs Eva ever recorded. She sings a capella. It is about the Lord remembering you and you owning a home in glory land. The song just repeats most of the lines over and over but it is a really good song.
My favourite songs on this album (apart from all of them) are: Anniversary Song, I Wandered By A Brookside and Easy Street Dream. Eva has the ability to bring the listener to tears.
Eva manages to put her heart and soul into every song that she sings and each song will fit whatever mood you are in, whether it be love, sadness, or pure happiness. There is clarity not seen by today's modern artists and Eva's talent is hard to be described or discovered.
Fans all over the world have trouble putting into words the feeling and emotion they get from listening to her music and voice. Although some songs may not be perfect, it does not discourage from the emotion felt in her voice. 'Kathy's Song' and 'I wandered by the Brookside' are heart touching songs brilliantly covered and it's hard to believe that this voice also sang timeless classics such as 'Ain't no sunshine' and 'Way beyond the Blue'. You will be singing along, Clapping, Crying or tapping a foot in no time!
As rated by our community of reviewers
" Simon & Garfunkel, Greatest Hits - Simon & Garfunkel are a band tha... " Read More
Written by Sekhemet
" Shocked is both a great lyric writer and a tuneful song writer. Lo... " Read More
" Other reviewers have given this a 5 out of 5 and even though I woul... " Read More
Written by degbert
" Cannot say how much influence Fog on the Tyne by Lindisfarne made o... " Read More
" Just a great listen " Read More