Air Arms 410E Review

• Accuracy

• Handling

DNAdoc.'s review of Air Arms 410E

“See the review by Sgt. York and following comments as...”

Written on: 27/09/2002 by DNAdoc. (1 review written)

Very Accurate,
lightweight,
very powerful,
easily adjustable power to gain accuracy by lowering velocity on lighter pellets and get more shots on a fill
shroud for quiet shooting,
10 shot magazine,
adjustable trigger,
quick connect for refills,
high cheek piece stock,
this gun shoots Crosman pointed pellets well for plinking,
very good balance,
no recoil,
best value for the money.

needs a safety,
the clear plastic cracked on my magazine but my dealer replaced it n/c,
had a factory defect with a spring bouncing loose inside and I had to send the gun back to my dealer and he sent it back within the week repaired,
I highly recommend this dealer - see link above.

General Comments
See the review by Sgt. York and following comments as they convinced me to buy this Air Arms 410E airgun and from the dealer listed. I got the adjustable power modification and had to wait a few days for it but it was well worth it. I have a 30 yd range on the side of my house and shoot a few times a week at med power with H&N wadcutters and then take the gun afield and crank the power to full with Kodiaks with only a few clicks in elevation to get POI ready for field use.

I know this is the best value for a repeater hunter. Oh yea, I bought one in .177 and one in .22 at the same time. They are both excellent!

• Accuracy

• Handling

52098_Dna Doc.'s Response to 40097_DNAdoc.'s Review

Written on: 20/11/2002

I just got back from 1 month in Wyoming and some intense rabbit hunting with the 410E's. Before the snow fell the hunting was very good and the big Jack Rabbits were the most awesome fun game I've ever hunted. The .22 Crow Magnums were really putting the big Jacks down hard. I spent about 4 weekends solid shooting rabbits and the 410E's were flawless in performance except I had a magazine fall out of my pocket and now I've got to cough up another $45 for the replacement! Ouch! I'm glad I bought a 88 CF Scott 4500psi Tank before heading out there cause there were no scuba shops in Wyoming. It was just below 3000 psi on the last day before heading home and my 10 tins of Crow Magnums that I brought were gone too. I'm going to try some JSB's since I've read they do very well in the 410E. I took the .177 out one day and it did very well on Jacks too.

73416_Togayank.'s Response to 40097_DNAdoc.'s Review

Written on: 16/02/2003

I bought a new 410E last week and just put a Bushnell Legend mildot scope on. Can't wait to get out and do some plinkin with it. Love reading all your posts and opinions on the gun! I feel like this is a great place to get the straight talk about a gun without a dealer pounding sand up your a... Buy this gun, no buy that gun, I carry this gun, don't buy that scope, buy this scope cause I get a higher margin on it etc...

56332_Brainpan.'s Response to 40097_DNAdoc.'s Review

Written on: 07/12/2002

I just mounted a Sightron scope on my 410E. I've had this gun for a year and didn't even get a chance to mount a scope or buy a pump for the gun. Just got a used Scott airpack with a valve and guage set my son got for me (fireman/paramedic) and a good source for filling them. Now I am ready to rumble! Why did I wait 40 years to do this? It was one of the most fulfilling parts of my youth and certainly one I'm not ready to let go of. I'm going to get one for my sons this year too. This is something we all missed out on when they were growing up while I was establishing my medical practice. Its never too late to go back and fix these things.

53265_Dnadoc.'s Response to 40097_DNAdoc.'s Review

Written on: 25/11/2002

We brought both Tarantula and 410E in .22 out to shoot Rabbits and I shot the Tarantula for an afternoon and found it fairly similar to the 410E except the Tranny is slower to change out magazines, they are only 8 shots and when both rifles are shooting at the same velocity the 410E has a slight edge to the number of shots. My Tarantula with mod is slightly quieter than the stock 410E but also added $200 to the cost of the gun. My Tarantula setup was over $1500 new but I bought it for $1200 second hand with a Leupold Vari-X (I have the same scope on the 410E - gotta be fair). It is a gorgeous gun with the grade 4 stock, gold bolt and special tuned trigger but even with all that I still prefer to shoot the plain beech 410E for fit and accuracy and efficiency and for about 1/2 the price. I don't like the Tarantula cocking stroke. The bolt must be pushed hard forward to cock the spring and its hard to keep on the sight picture through the scope for the second shot. I noticed this on the afternoon I used it.
I probably shot half a box of Crossman Premiers and still really didn't get the rapid fire groove that I had with the 410E.
The 410E cocks the hammer spring pulling back into your shoulder and its realy easy to get a second shot off without taking your eye out of the scope picture at low power.
I wish you could combine the good parts of the two rifles. I lost a 410E mag afield through a hold in the pocket and wish that the gun came with 4 spares and replacements were $25! During my shoot I shot 9 tins or so through the 410E without a issue except for remembering not to walk too far away from the fill tank when shooting Kodiaks at full power. DOH!

53071_Brainpan.'s Response to 40097_DNAdoc.'s Review

Written on: 24/11/2002

I've had a 410E in .22 for a year and haven't shot it much due to work. I'm encouraged to read all the posts here and see so many are using the 410E and like it so well. Looks like I made a good choice on the rifle. This spring I intend to make up for lost time. I really didn't get enough pellet gun time when I was a kid so here I am as a grown man thinking about the same things as a teenage kid in the woods with his pellet rifle and a box full of pellets. I plan on being a major poster here next spring!

52395_Leadzeppelin.'s Response to 40097_DNAdoc.'s Review

Written on: 21/11/2002

Great post! Wish I had enough bread to do both calibers in 410E at once. How do you compare the used Tarantula and the 410E?