Sharp GX30 Review

• Reception

• Style

baruya's review of Sharp GX30

Sharp GX30

“I'm no gadget expert, so I need something easy to use,...”

Written on: 21/05/2004 by baruya (9 reviews written)

Build quality
Screen
Picture

Not immediately intuitive
Not much else

General Comments
I'm no gadget expert, so I need something easy to use, so when I first started browsing through the Sharp GX30 things weren't easy to find. But, don't let that put you off, once you've scanned the manual once, navigation could not be easier. In fact, it becomes one of the fastest camera mobile phones on the market.

Phonebook is easy enough, and very easy to read, but the camera is incredible (1 Megapixel). You can switch on the camera and take a fast shutter speed image in a couple of seconds. I've captured some great piccies of my baby in less time it takes with a standard digital camera or SLR (usually because the phone is always turned on and in my pocket). But, that's how fast the phone is.

Image quality is excellent, but the means to download to a PC means spending extra cash. But since I got the phone for £20 I shan't complain. Nevertheless, my old Samsung T100 came with an amazing range of leads, batteries and software; Sharp (and Sony Ericsson) does lack in the 'spares' dept.

GX-30 doesn't have as good availability of polyphonic ringtones as the T100, but that's because T100 has plenty of free (and I mean really free) ringtones that can be loaded from the web, and then uploaded via the datacable.

Despite this, the GX30 is splendid, and full marks to Sharp. There's little the phone lacks, and the lack of bluetooth data transfer is no problem as you can buy an SD card reader for £6 at 7dayshop.com

The SD card reader also means you can ramp up the memory to 128 MB (I believe), so bluetooth data transfer becomes pointless if you can stash so much data in the GX30. Great phone, easy to use, a nice finish on a quality product.

• Battery Life