Honda EU2000i Review

Ulysses's review of Honda EU2000i

“I've been using my Honda EU2000i daily for about 2 1/2...”

Written on: 20/05/2004 by Ulysses (8 reviews written)

Lightweight, quiet, highly regulated output, extremely durable.

Fragile Eco-Throttle switch, starting rope wears easily.

General Comments
I've been using my Honda EU2000i daily for about 2 1/2 years. It has over 6000 hours on it and still runs great!!! I change the oil about every 60 hours (20 hours recommended by Honda) and the oil is still clear and only slightly brown after this amount of time. It is still very easy to start. I have changed the spark plug only one time. The spark arrestor has broken (around 4000 hours) and the starting rope needed to be replaced at about 3000 hours. My main complaint is that the Eco-Throttle switch broke after only about 200 hours of use. I got a free warranty replacement but it didn't last long either. I finally stuck an old switch I had laying around in it and it is fine now. I find it a little difficult to fill with gas because the gas tank is tapered at the top so it is easy to overfill. It will run only about 5 to 5 1/2 hours with a full tank of gas (about 1 gallon) and not anywhere near the 14 hours maximum that Honda claims. The DC output/battery charger circuit is only 8 amps maximum so it is of little use to me. They should make it with 25-30 amp output. Another thing that would make this generator even better would be to make it so the inverter could also be used from a battery bank so the 2000 watts could be available even when the generator is off and charging the batteries when it is on. If this little generator ever wears out I will definitely buy another one of the same model. I rarely give anything 10 stars but I can't even believe how well this generator works after so many hours.

Ulysses's Response to Ulysses's Review

Written on: 02/02/2005

Update: It now has over 8000 hours on it and it still runs great! I had to replace the spark arrestor and the starting rope again but that is very minimal for the amount of use it's had. I did have a bad connection (group of 5 wires in a 6 wire connector going to the inverter circuit--it was the red wire) that overheated and caused the Eco-Throttle to not work. I modified the connector and scrimped on a new terminal end and it works fine again. The oil still looks great after 60 hours and I never have to add oil between changes. I adjusted the valves (they must have been a little off when it left the factory) and cleaned the carburator and it will now run up to about 9 hours at 1/4 load.