Walther 3-9x56 IR Review

adamcort's review of Walther 3-9x56 IR

“What can I say. £60 for 3-9 mag scope with 56mm...”

Written on: 12/05/2004 by adamcort (2 reviews written)

Superb sight image at 9x magnification
Reticle illumination very effective in low light situations
Price belies the specification

Low magnification sight picture appear fussy
High mounts make zeroing & holdover "entertaining"

General Comments
What can I say. £60 for 3-9 mag scope with 56mm objective lense and illuminated reticle. Somebody must have got the figures wrong somewhere. However, I for one, am not complaining.

I have had my scope for about 12 months now and after getting over the honeymoon period, have really fell in love with this scope.

Lets start with the honeymoon period...

After getting a good set of high mounts and fitting the scope to my Air Arms S200 (only 2mm clearance between front object lense and barrel), I did have a few problems with zeroing the rifle and getting used to the hold over. However, the same could be said of any large scope (50mm and above).

Also, I noticed that if I zeroed the rifle with 3x mag and then changed to 9x mag, the impact point moved about 4-5mm upwards. This could be a fault with my scope, but since most of my shooting is done at 30+ yds, I have a tendency to only use the scope at 6x mag upwards.

After the honeymoon period...

Superb, just superb.

The low light gathering properties of the scope, coupled with the illuminated reticle really allow you to go dawn til dusk.

I have dropped my rifle multiple times (climbing into hides, over fences etc etc) and the scope image is still immaculate, and the scope rifle zeroed.

I honestly couldn't recommend the scope enough to anybody who wants to hunt in low light situations.

Darkstar74's Response to adamcort's Review

Written on: 04/01/2005

I totally agree with all your comments. My 3.9x56 IR is fitted snug on my gorgeous BSA Lightning and used responsibly makes it the ultimate set up in my eyes - value for money and all round versatility. Excellent in low light and for some reason unlike most other scopes in its price range. What more can I say.