Canon PowerShot G5 Review

• Image Quality

• Battery Life

S2KCA's review of Canon PowerShot G5

Canon PowerShot G5

“The Canon PowerShot G5 is my second digital camera. ...”

Written on: 05/05/2004 by S2KCA (2 reviews written)

Excellent pictures
Very adaptable AND easy to use
Not too bulky
Brilliant battery life

Low light / high ASA rating gives purple fringes
No LCD Screen shade

General Comments
The Canon PowerShot G5 is my second digital camera. Like a lot of people I bought a simple 2Mp camera first to see how I would use it.

Many fun snap shots and disappointing prints later I knew I needed a 'real' digital camera.

I chose Canon because I have found their products to be robust and high quality - if not the best features / price balance.

The G5 doesn't disappoint. In average conditions the photos are excellent. Most of the time I use it as point and shoot. When things get trickier, the various controls allow good shots to be captured where an 'instamatic' would flounder.

BUT ... the purple fringing problem is real. Bright areas in low light will have a purple splodge around them. And while on minor gripes, the video option isn't as good as other cameras in the same market (thinking of my brother's Sony here) - but I didn't get it for video!

Overall though I love my G5 - I like to think of it as a Leica for the digital age. Since getting the camera I have invested in the optional wide angle and telephoto adaptor lenses and my SLR is now gathering dust at the back of the cupboard.

• Battery Life