Air Arms 410E Review

• Accuracy

• Handling

Pneuman.'s review of Air Arms 410E

“I own a FX Tarantula, Falcon F19 and a Daystate...”

Written on: 19/09/2002 by Pneuman. (1 review written)

At first I thought the action was stiff but its very quick and smooth between shots.
Magazine - 10 shots - has clear face for viewing
Built in Shroud - very quiet and FREE!!
Power Mod - .177 (35 shots at Kodiaks 950 fps) down to (75 shots at RWS H-Points 900 fps)
Light for its power - 7.5 lbs.
Great Trigger - better than Rekord IMO
Pressure guage
Good balance
Great accuracy
Extreme value for the money - best I've seen.

NO safety,
Clunky threaded heavy cap for refill valve,
Clunky huge refill valve,
Magazines way overpriced,
Mag will run out if you're not paying attention,
Power mod is $60 Xtra!!
Only one vendor does the power mod but he's got the lowest price... He's also the hardest to find and contact - NO EMAIL!!! What's that all about?? I listed his web page above!! Good luck calling but it's worth the effort...

General Comments
I own a FX Tarantula, Falcon F19 and a Daystate Harrier PH6. I love them all but the air Arms 410E is a better hunting solution IMHO due to having large mag cap, fast shooting, quick power adjustment, huge max power and extreme accuracy. The other rifles have some of these points and some exceed the 410E but as an overall system the 410E rocks dude!! The balance is great, accuracy superb, adjustable power, great shot capacity per fill, 10 shot mags with clear window for viewing how many shots you have left, quick action for fast repeated shots, one of the better triggers and all for under $650 delivered.

• Accuracy

• Handling

39466_Viking22.'s Response to 38472_Pneuman.'s Review

Written on: 24/09/2002

I'm going to buy a 410E this winter when I get the $$ and move to Montana. I won't have access to an airgun store but it seems that everyone is buying these over the internet anyway. That's going to be a big change for me since I've never bought anything anywhere else than locally. But I know there are lots of good things about the internet and I love the ability to go right through all the guns in alphabetical order on this website and see what all the owners have to say about them. Its also great there are so many responses for every gun which also makes sure we hear about all the details that might be forgotten that could be big time negative. Thanks to all the posters!!! Maybe I'll be posting here after this winter.

57172_Julian.'s Response to 38472_Pneuman.'s Review

Written on: 11/12/2002

I also just happen to have all 4 forementioned rifles. I've bought them all second hand from the classified's and love them all. I've Got to confess that I've got a slight bias for the 410E too for shooting enjoyment. The workmanship is nicer on the Daystate but I like the way the AA stock fits me much better. My range buddy just bought a 410E from Pomona with that damn power mod and I might just have to get one added to mine. I just had my local stocksmith drill a hole on my FX sport so I can adjust the power without taking the stock off. $75 just to drill a hole and put in a brass insert. Just when I thought I'd bought everything fixed the way I wanted.

55309_Pm. Marietta.'s Response to 38472_Pneuman.'s Review

Written on: 03/12/2002

I stumbled onto this site and found a whole world of guys like ME! I too have the three rifles that you mentioned and like you I grab the 410E everytime I sneak out to shoot starlings or squirrels or birds outside the house. I love the wood/metal finish on the PH6 but its a bit heavy and like the Falcon they don't have as much capacity and shoot slower. I like the 410E trigger best and also its 10 shot magazine. What a rush of deja vu when I read this cause I bought my gun from Pomona cause it was the cheapest and Steve very knowingly suggested I buy the power mod and told me how and when to use it. I love trying new pellets in different weights so that is what I got. I'm glad that I'm in such good company and also found a few other forums to post to other airgunners like here. I can see this hobby taking off to a new level! I recommend this rifle and the adjustable power to anyone who is looking for the ultimate in flexibility without spending over a grand for the Theoben's. I understand they are hot but at $1500 they'd damn well better be!

54439_Lord Of The Ring.'s Response to 38472_Pneuman.'s Review

Written on: 29/11/2002

Whoa BABY!! Got my new 410E last week and it rocks righteous!! I was a bit worried about all the posts of bad mags and loose bouncing internal springs, o-rings and the power mod controversy and most important. I bought this gun sight UNSEEN for the first time over the phone from a guy named Steve who is nearly impossible to get ahold of who is located somewhere in California and is ill regarded by one of the largest posting boards!! But with the encouragement of the gents who've posted here and the noted value and advice of the lowest cost dealer and his reputed service I nervously ordered the rifle a month ago. BUT, now that I am holding this jewel and both of my magazines are fine, the gun is functioning wonderfully and extremely accurate and the power mod is simple and very effective provided me with 45 shots with Crosman Premiers or JSB Domes - I AM ELATED AND FEEL LIKE ORDERING MORE AIRGUNS HA HA!
I was worried because I bought a Beeman Crow Magnum from a different dealer and had lots of issues with the gas ram, dampa mounts, gas ram, dampa mounts again and eventually it had to be returned back to Beeman 3 times on my own packaging and shipping, and packaging and shipping, before it was working properly so this being an English rifle I was worried about AA being in the same boat. So far this gun has be incredible out of the box and I've shot this gun everyday for the last 2 weeks without a single issue. So far so good.
Thanks to all for posting and giving me the guts to take the step! Feel like y'all are kin and it would be great to all get together someday at Steve's house!!

52847_Leadhead.'s Response to 38472_Pneuman.'s Review

Written on: 23/11/2002

My .177 410E just took about thirty Jack Rabbits at 40-50 yds during a week long visit to a Wyoming ranch with Crosman Premiers. My shooting partner had his .22 410E and I was shooting (formerly his rifle that I bought from him) my .177 410E and though a bit worried that .177 wasn't going to do the trick, I shot all of the Jack's with one shot kills to the head. Last year we took rimfires but this year we brought our new toys and had a ton more fun! My 410E is topped with a Weaver v16 and I'm shooting Crosman Premier 10.5gr at 900 fps measured by a Combro device that you rubber band to the end of the barrel. The .177 is so quiet that several rabbits were frozen in my view at once and I picked them off one by one since they didn't spook. I am really sold on this gun and although my friend wanted to sell me his .177 FX Tarantula I opted to buy his 410E instead which he reluctantly sold me cause he's my pal and he wants to date my sister. Total for the week between us was about 66 Jacks and we only hunted about 3 days out of the week when we weren't hungover (business retreat). These guns are easy to shoot and very accurate.

52104_Viking22.'s Response to 38472_Pneuman.'s Review

Written on: 20/11/2002

OK I'm now the proud new owner of a 410E in .22 with power mod and a Simmons 44 mag 6.5-20x scope with Target Turrets! I don't have much to post here cause I just got the gun but to say thanks for posting all the lower prices, advice, velocity results, and price matching info etc. And Steve at Pomona is a real sweetheart of a guy to deal with. And I love Montana!

49722_Pneuman.'s Response to 38472_Pneuman.'s Review

Written on: 10/11/2002

BradB, I generally have the set screw about 1 turn out from flush in 1/2 turn increments when the Chrony tells me it's max at 930 fps. 1/2 in or out from there makes the velocity go down. Without using a chrony I'd say 2 turns past flush is a guarantee that you are max. What a pain to take that stock on and off just to make a change!!
I turned mine down to a bit under 900 fps to pick up a few more shots - 40 shots per fill.
Bet its cold in MN now... I lived in Cannon Falls about 10 years ago...

49505_Dnadoc.'s Response to 38472_Pneuman.'s Review

Written on: 09/11/2002

I just picked up a used FX Tranny from my old boss in Denver and he told me that wide open was about flush to up to 3 turns out of the knockout valve body. I use a chrony and my gun is just about 1 thread out past flush and my friend's tranny sporter is a bit more than 2 threads out. Both are maxing out at 920-930 with CP's. I haven't shot a bunch of different settings cause you have to take the &^*&$ stock off each time you make an adjustment. It took me a whole 2-3 hour session to compare the two rifles just to figure out where the max setting was... I was going to take my gun to a stock maker and get a brass sleeve and hole drilled to make this adjustment like on the 410E. Its a very nice gun with the G4 Turkish stock but I like the 410E better.

46488_Bradb.'s Response to 38472_Pneuman.'s Review

Written on: 27/10/2002

I have a fx tarantula....How do I make sure I am at full power with that set screw?

43351_Pneuman.'s Response to 38472_Pneuman.'s Review

Written on: 13/10/2002

Ian, as far as length and weight go I need power and capacity so the carbine would be cool but would not allow the power or the number of shots that I need. I would get one and a Falcon light hunter if I had unlimited funds. The 410E does the most right now for me. Weight and balance are fine for me.

41404_Ian.'s Response to 38472_Pneuman.'s Review

Written on: 03/10/2002

Hi. Good review. I've got a .20 Daystate Harrier PH6 and have been thinking about the AA410E. How do the two compare in terms of weight, length and ease of use. I will still keep the Daystate but like the extra power of the AA. Do you find the 410 overly long or just about right?

40770_Bobby.'s Response to 38472_Pneuman.'s Review

Written on: 01/10/2002

Just bought a 410 and was going to post a review but then after reading all the other posts there is nothing more needed to add, so I'll just comment on this post. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents to help someone out there teetering on making the decision. Love my 410E in .22 and my 4200 Elite with mildots. I bought an extra magazine but after two outings didn't end up using it. Accuracy and power are great and the FX pump is good excercise.

39854_Lord Of The Ring.'s Response to 38472_Pneuman.'s Review

Written on: 25/09/2002

I was glad to see a comparison of the exact 3 guns that I was looking over. I'll probably end up getting all 3 too but this way I can get the one that Pneuman liked the best. There are more guns comming out soon and I'll wait till next year but this at least gives me something to compare with. Glad you're taking the time to share your knowledge about your guns.