Asus A7V8X-X Review

• Ease of Set Up

GallagherKnight's review of Asus A7V8X-X

Asus A7V8X-X

“Everything seemed to be going my way while installing...”

Written on: 19/04/2004 by GallagherKnight (2 reviews written)

Inexpensive, easy to set up

Picky about the RAM - kept freezing while trying to install Win XP Pro

General Comments
Everything seemed to be going my way while installing an Asus A7V8X-X until the time came to actually install my OS. It kept freezing over and over, and I noticed that this specific board was not able to properly run DDR400 ram in conjunction with my Athlon XP 2600+ that has a 333 FSB. Indeed, the manual suggests using only DDR333 with a 333 FSB... but the problems only got worse from there. It kept on refusing to run, sending me straight to the BIOS and suggesting to verify that my DDR333 ram was really 333 MHz, which it was. Several sticks of RAM later, I removed it entirely and got my money back. I was able to find several complaints on the net regarding the A7V8X-X's notorious pickiness on RAM, and that even with the ASUS recommended Kingston RAM installed, it might STILL misread your DDR333 as running a 331 MHz chip and refuse to use it outright.

Skip this one, folks, not worth the trouble.

• Ease of Set Up

• Less than a Week

Time Motherboard Owned

159855_Vienski's Response to GallagherKnight's Review

Written on: 23/06/2004

You should have set the BIOS setting for the memory on SPD (serial presence detect). I have tried DDR pc 400 and ddr pc266, both works fine. I also tried combining the two memory together, still no problem. In fact, it boost the performance. I think you just missed the BIOS part of setting it to SPD.

Latis00's Response to GallagherKnight's Review

Written on: 19/09/2005

this board is great is real fast and i have up dated to xp sp2 and runs faster allot p4 and if you have the problem install windows make sure that you set to plug and play OS in the bios this should fix the problem.