Mountfield SP470 Review

oliver001's review of Mountfield SP470

Mountfield SP470

“I looked at a few reviews and decided to change my old...”

Written on: 20/03/2004 by oliver001 (1 review written)

Not found any yet.

Fiddly to assemble - recessed allen keys where normal screws would be fine.
Difficult to start.
Mine was shipped with a fault and would stop once started!! (see review).
Poor after sales service.
Grass box OK size but not big.

General Comments
I looked at a few reviews and decided to change my old (but v. reliable) Flymo petrol mover for the Mountfield SP470.

It's fiddly to assemble and the instructions are poor. Once assembled mine had a fault. It wouldn't stop once started (had to disconnect the spark plug). I called the helpline who were very polite but operator know nothing about the product. However, she gave me the number of a dealer (15 miles away). He wasn't very interested and suggested I take it back to B&Q. I called the helpline and managed to find someone who knew the product. He said it was a common fault (then why haven't they fixed it??) with the SP470.

If anyone reads this and has the same problem it's because there's too much grease on the engine release mechanism - easy to see the contact if you remove the red engine cover. Just wipe it away with a cloth and it fixes the problem.

Judging by the build quality, the mower won't last long. I wouldn't buy another Mountfield product!

Delta Echo's Response to oliver001's Review

Written on: 27/04/2005

In more than 35 years, I have had just two Mountfield mowers. The first was 20 years old but still in perfect order, and I gave it to a relation, who still has it. The other is still used regularly to mow a large area of grass. It has minimal service and is, frankly, abused, but it always fires first time and cuts well. I've tried the rest, but always come back to Mountfield, for value and reliability.