Webley Patriot Review

• Accuracy

• Handling

ferdia's review of Webley Patriot

“I bought a Webley Patriot a few years ago and have to...”

Written on: 17/03/2004 by ferdia (3 reviews written)

Power. Self contained.

Eats scopes, weighs a ton.

General Comments
I bought a Webley Patriot a few years ago and have to say it was a pretty disappointing experience. The rifle was a .177, probably a rarity for a patriot, but I was tempted by it's supersonic capability. Power wise I had no complaints. At 50 yards it could put a pellet through an empty drinks can *without knocking it over* I put a pellet through a jam jar without the jar shattering at 20 yards. No, the beef I had with the weapon was the recoil. Such a powerful recoil made it to all intents and purposes impossible to keep any scope zeroed for more than 3 shots. With a one piece mount dogged up, there was still significant travel. Even an arrestor block was little use. The mount travelled and chewed everything in it's path. Subsequently, I couldn't hit a barn door, and the patriot had to go. I was sorry at the time, but I didn't have the time or money to sort it out, and went for an FAC PCP instead. As far as cocking the rifle was concerned, it must be done in a single go...if you get that barrel halfway and stop, it can be difficult to complete the action. Get it pulled round in one quick motion and you're fine. As for the weight, that too was a problem. This is a hide gun. You will not tote this thing around all day for sure. To sum up, without the correct scope configuration (not one that would do 95% of all other weapons) the power is wasted..a .177 is not a feasible option, go for .22 or .25. Get a sling with it. Work out. Do all these things and then wonder why you didn't just go for a PCP instead. :)

• Accuracy