Canon A1 Review

• Photograph Quality

john willick.'s review of Canon A1

“I love the Canon A1 camera too, I've taken some...”

Written on: 04/08/2002 by john willick. (1 review written)

Great camera to learn on. Bulletproof.

Canon changed the lens mount so you'll always be buying used gear.

General Comments
I love the Canon A1 camera too, I've taken some amazing pictures with it.

43096_Gavin.'s Response to 31801_john willick.'s Review

Written on: 11/10/2002

The fact that canon changed the lens mount (to the EF system) isn't really a bad point. It means there is a huge supply of fantastic lenses out there at low prices. I certainly agree that the A1 is a fantastic camera!!

371903_Jdevorak's Response to 31801_john willick.'s Review

Written on: 06/06/2008

I just bought an A-1 online and when I pressed the shutter release button the shutter got stuck open. Does anyone know what to do to fix it or did buy a faulty product?

Ieuanfawr's Response to 31801_john willick.'s Review

Written on: 29/04/2008

After almost 30 years of ownership, I've sold my A1 on Fleabay. I had to accept I wasn't using it anymore, and my dream of a digital back plate wasn't going to happen.
<br/>
<br/>There was some bronzing on the top corners, but the shutter worked quietly as it did when new. It had been professionally serviced many times to ensure accurate metering and all the electronics and mechanicals were working perfectly.
<br/>
<br/>I also sold a 199A Speedlite and four FD lenses, two fixed focus, two zooms. All were in good working order, hardly mark on them despite years of use.
<br/>
<br/>The price was about what I'd been offered in a local photographic shop - not much in other words.
<br/>
<br/>The A1 is dead, long live the A1!

360806_Krystia's Response to 31801_john willick.'s Review

Written on: 20/04/2008

My father gave me his A-1 with the original manual (thankfully). I've dusted it off and looking to somehow obtain a battery for it. I'm guessing I should take it in to a shop and have it professionally serviced/cleaned. Also interested in getting a flash attachment for it. If anyone knows of online suppliers for this camera, please inform. I have two other Canons but I realize the A-1 is one of the best cameras to get started with for serious hobbying.

Ieuanfawr's Response to 31801_john willick.'s Review

Written on: 17/05/2006

The battery is a 6v PX28. Any decent photographic dealer will supply one.

Zihodes's Response to 31801_john willick.'s Review

Written on: 15/01/2005

I purchased an A1 the minute it was available the summer of 1978, at Ferrari Camera in Boston. I haven't used it for years, but would like to resurrect it. Does anyone know the battery type used in the camera - I took the last one out and apparently threw it away some time ago.

Tahir Alavi's Response to 31801_john willick.'s Review

Written on: 26/09/2003

I have an A-1 sinse 1980. Superb camera.
<br>The battery is replaced from the front by sliding open the lock besides the lens in front and repalacing the single cell ....perhaps of C series.
<br>Dr. Tahir Alavi

116241_Bob.'s Response to 31801_john willick.'s Review

Written on: 16/07/2003

My battery is dead and I can't figure out how to replace it! I too love my A1 and have had it for years. But I've never changed the battery, and now I don't know how. Help!

68569_Jaye.'s Response to 31801_john willick.'s Review

Written on: 28/01/2003

I believe that that noise you are hearing is the infamous Canon squeak. I heard tht noise on a site that specializes in fixing that problem. It is due to the drying out of certain areas in the camera. It can be repaired by some camera shops, where they re lubricate the mirror area. If you search Canon A-1 sites you can also find info on how to do it yourself. But professional application is best in my opinion. This is a problem with Canon's A-series cameras.

67892_Woolfie.'s Response to 31801_john willick.'s Review

Written on: 25/01/2003

I have an A1 and have always been happy with it. I have always used Canons. My A1 is now experiencing a 'zippp' noise when the shutter is released. I understand this is fairly common, and I seem to recall having the same problem with my old AE-1. Whats the problems and how do I fix it?

Lasse.'s Response to 31801_john willick.'s Review

Written on: 18/01/2003

Hello! What is a fair price for a used A1? I´m very new to photographing: How does the blitz function, when it isn't built in?

64854_Jaye.'s Response to 31801_john willick.'s Review

Written on: 13/01/2003

This is a spectacular camera. With quality features. A seasoned marvel, used by photographers of many levels. I must say I love A1 also