Written on: 27/04/2011
Wish we had looked at these reviews before we booked Haven at Lakeland!
Walking into our caravan, we were overcome by a stench of a chemical odour and dog. Upon inspection of our caravan, we tried cleaning the dog hairs, pubic hairs and dust from the caravan floors. After realising the rest of the caravan was dirty, we asked them to clean again. Still not really happy, we went out and tried to enjoy the evening with our 7 year old daughter at the entertainment 'funworks'. The arcade was clean and kept my daughter entertained for a while.
My daughter had been talking about going to the playground since she'd seen it when we'd driven past it on our way into the site. But, it was closed! (There are only 2 real holidays in a year - Easter and Summer. This was Easter and the playground was closed!! Ridiculous!)
We then ate in the 'Mash Barrel' bar. The food was nice, but the floor looked like it hadn't been hoovered for over a week! And the table was full of grime.
The singer in the 'Live lounge' was good and kept the children and adults entertained all evening. Although the 'Wonderbar' was a complete rip off - £1.95 for a tiny straw of sherbert!
When we arrived back at the caravan, we were once more overcome with the feeling of dirtiness when I put my daughter to bed and there was a brown stain on the sheet! (I didn't want to look too closely for fear of throwing up). Needless to say, she didn't sleep in that bed!
The fire was full of hair and brown stains, there was mud or food splattered on the walls (once again, I didn't want to look too closely at it),stains all over the kitchen blind, the wallpaper was ripped, pairs of curtains were different lengths (!),dog food under the microwave, the whole place was just dire. We wouldn't even walk around without shoes on so as to not dirty our feet!
We'd decided before we went to bed that we would leave in the morning as it was so gross. We also couldn't afford to eat out every breakfast, lunch and dinner time for a week as there was no way I would be putting food anywhere near the kitchen!
As we came from Cardiff, we wasted 10 hours travelling in 2 days which was a real shame but we learnt the hard way we would NEVER be returning here again.
On a positive note, when I went and said we would be leaving and asked about how we would get our money back, the staff member was really friendly and understanding and said he would process a full refund asap. (The fact he seemed so resigned and laid back about it all makes me presume he must be used to the complaints!)