Beware The Cold Call

Guest's review of The Sunday Times Wine Club www.sundaytimeswineclub.co.uk

The Sunday Times Wine Club www.sundaytimeswineclub.co.uk

“Beware The Cold Call”

Written on: 16/04/2012

I received a "cold call" from The Sunday Times Wine Club and agreed to buy a case of wine at an apparently advantageous price. The young salesman was not the brightest, it must be said, not understanding the meaning of the word "robust", as my description of the type of red wine I like. When I clarified in simpler terms, he made a comment about people who like to "eat their red wine with a knife and fork", which I regard as a tactless and inappropriate remark. I only discovered, as I was about to make payment with my credit card, that I would in fact be signing up for a wine PLAN, this information having been kept quiet till then and not clearly explained even at that stage. Fortunately, I had not given him my card number or I, as an elderly woman who wished to buy a one-off case of wine for entertaining and to obviate carrying a load of heavy shopping, would have found myself considerably out of pocket at a later stage and bombarded with unwanted wine thereafter. If the wine is described as a special offer, therefore, take it as a warning that it means agreeing to join a special plan. Do be careful, everyone, of the tricks these wine clubs can play on the unwary. Maybe it is better to go to the supermarket after all. It is a pity The Sunday Times Wine Club has started these tactics, as actually I have bought a single case of wine from this company in the past with no hassle, it was delivered on time and was good quality. However, now I shall avoid all wine buying in this way.