Great food, Atrocious Service

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

nualabear's review of San Carlo, Birmingham

“Great food, Atrocious Service”

Written on: 26/06/2012 by nualabear (4 reviews written)

Went here recently for a meal for a birthday after hearing great things about it.

The only positive thing I can say about the place is that the food was delicious. I had a calzone, it was tasty and filling. We all tried bits of each other's meals and they were all delicious - so pro tips for that.

The negatives:

- The staff were rude, pretentious and arrogant. They ignored us as much as they could possibly get away with after we only ordered one bottle of wine for the table (which for five of us isn't that bad I feel!)

- My sister ordered a vegetarian meal and was brought out a dish containing meat. When she told the waiter he was very dismissive to the point of being angry with her complaining. A table from ours had obviously been given her meal, as we saw them give it back to their waiter. In front of us, the waiters simply swapped the dishes over rather than cooking them again - this was after my sister had started to pick at her meal, not realising it was the wrong one at first, and by the looks of her actual meal the woman at the other table had done the same.

When we complained the manager somehow managed to be even more offensive than the waiter.

- The service was slow considering it was lunchtime on a weekday and there were only a few other tables eating at that time.

- Our drinks took forever to arrive, well after we had been given our food, despite the bar tender doing nothing at the bar.

- The waiters seemed to give all their attention to another table, we guessed they were regulars and while this table was being catered to for their every whim, we and other diners were neglected.

All in all we had a terrible experience, it was embarassing quite frankly. We had heard lots of good things and had been recommended it, I would advise anyone never to go there.

• Italian

Food Type

• First time

How often do you eat here?

• Quality of service