Disgraceful!

BeccaCarolan7's review of Debenhams Weddings www.debenhamsweddings.com

“Disgraceful!”

Written on: 29/11/2012 by BeccaCarolan7 (1 review written)

I purchased a gift from the Debenhams gift list in Luton and also paid for a gift card to the value of £60 on Friday 24th August, the day before the wedding, under the impression that this would be deducted from my account the same day, much to my error.
I then received numerous calls from different members of branch staff around the beginning to the middle of September stating that there were issues with the payment for the gift card as my debit card had been rejected. I provided a second card immediately and can confirm that the amount of £60 was deducted from my account on the 11th September.
I believed this would be the end of it, but to my surprise a further amount of £60 has been taken from my account on 24th November, which has resulted in me being short of money and putting me into my overdraft, resulting in a £6 charge.
I contacted the Luton branch yesterday, Monday 26th November, on 01582 816934 to explain the situation, only to be told by their employee ‘I told them this would happen at the weekend’. He said he would look into it and call me back, at which point I specifically asked that he call me back the same day, but I never received a call.
I called back this morning at 9:02am to be told that that particular employee wouldn’t be in until 12:30 and that they would get him to call me back. After not receiving a further call, I have contacted the store again at 1:33pm, only to find that the call rings and rings and no one answers it.
I then looked on their website to find out who to contact at their office, only to find that it’s not clear at all, so called 0844 800 8877, where I spoke to a very pleasant young man who gave me an email, but did advise that I would struggle to get hold of anyone at the Luton store as it’s sale day!
I sit next to the bride at work and she has been made aware that other people who also purchased gift cards have had duplicate amounts deducted from their bank accounts. This has marred both our experiences of the Debenhams store/brand.
I’m looking to get married in the next couple of years and can safely say I won’t be using their wedding gift service or recommending it to any of my friends and family.
I am disgusted at the way this has been handled, or not as the case may be!!!
I didn't want to rate any stars on my review but had to choose one, so that's why it has one star!