Sites taken offline & nobody bothers to notify me

Guest's review of Unlimited Web Hosting - www.unlimitedwebhosting.co.uk

“Sites taken offline and nobody bothers to notify me”

Written on: 17/09/2013

Most of my review concurs with the other one-star review on this site. At first, UWH looks to be a good deal. However, in practice, it's turning out to be most disappointing. This review is for the £2.75/mo product.

My main email address is configured on their servers to forward to another company's Exchange server. Except every six weeks or so at weekends, UWH stops forwarding for a period of 24-48 hours, meaning all my emails vanish into thin air. The Exchange hosting company confirm they've no problems at their end. UWH, naturally, deny any responsibility, even though they once admitted last November they found a pile of my emails sat on their external gateway server, which they had to manually release.

This has been a constant problem, with with many support tickets raised, and each time it happens, I have to go back to square one, as it seems nobody bothers to read the old tickets to trace the problem. Mind you, they gave a creative excuse as to one email failure - that somebody had reported that email address's domain as a spam source, stopping incoming mail.

My sites would periodically go offline, as if they're only served up if a sufficient number of people request it. The biggest problem I have now is with a Yourls URL shortener I have working on one of my domains, which uses MySQL. UWH advertise "unlimited web space, unlimited web traffic, unlimited MySQL" yet they periodically take this site down as it uses "too many resources", and that I haven't followed "best practice" in setting it up. It sounds to me like they're only a webhost for a limited range of websites applications that they're prepared to tolerate. Nobody's said what this "best practice" is, and they claim that they don't need to give any customer any notice that a site is being taken down for whatever reason! They just assume that the customer will just notice for themselves and kick up a fuss.

Tickets go unanswered for days on end until you contact them by other means to remind them about it. My site is still down, days later, as they seem to think I'm responsible for the excess load on the server. How??

Visit unlimitedwebhosting.co.uk