Excellent support, uptime less so

Conrad155's review of 34SP.com - www.34sp.com

“Excellent support, uptime less so”

Written on: 26/04/2016 by Conrad155 (1 review written)

I have been with 34SP for many years, almost since the beginning. I have only a simple website with mostly static content, therefore I have always stuck to their most budget-friendly hosting plans, currently Professional hosting. This all went very fine until about a year ago, when I started noticing obvious periods of downtime. Since then I have been running a basic monitoring tool that produces a rough sampling of uptime, and the results have not been encouraging.

Actually the only reason why I am writing this review, is that my site is down at this very moment and I am looking for something useful to do until it comes back up. There, the tool reports a consecutive downtime of 19 minutes. Not good.
When contacting them about this, they explained that Professional and Reseller hosting plans rely on shared hosting. This means that if someone else's poorly written website on the same server eats up too many resources, other sites on the same server suffer as well. This would not be much of a problem if the servers would not be grossly overcommitted, which seems to become the case more and more. They have suggested to move to VPS hosting, which is however total overkill for the kind of site I run, especially considering the elevated price tag.

One of the only reasons why I am sticking with 34SP is the quality of their customer support. Tickets are usually solved very quickly and correctly. The downtime is not yet bad enough that it is a deal-breaker when taking the support into account, but I sincerely hope that they spend the money of their recent price bump on implementing the promised increase in reliability, otherwise I may start looking elsewhere.

Stuart-34Sp's Comment

Written on: 27/04/2016

Hi, sorry to hear about your less than great experience. Please drop an email to our support team marked FAO Stuart (me) so I can review this for you. Your experience of our service sounds like something is amiss.

The load (contention) on our shared systems is actually going down, rather than up - and is now the lowest it has been in the better part of a decade. Indeed, most of our professional servers run far ahead of our internal 99.5% uptime target; of course there are some that might miss this from time to time, but we correct any broad issues quite quickly. Also, our reseller solution is containerized, not shared, so again, there does sound to be a communication issue here.

If you can drop the email into us as I mentioned, I am sure I can ensure your issues are addressed.