Final straw after 9 years

globelink_admin's review of 1and1 www.1and1.co.uk

“Final straw after 9 years”

Written on: 20/08/2013 by globelink_admin (4 reviews written)

Shame to see the unremittingly one star reviews for 1and1. Shame to add mine to it too.

Been with 1and1 for nine years. Got three different packages from cheap and cheerful to business pro. Started with them when they were pioneers in low cost webhosting back in the day. However, they have done things to me in the last couple of years that really have left a bad taste in the mouth.

1. Some American cold-caller from 1and1 strong armed me into a free trial for some Office365 like thing. I agreed just to get him off the phone, but forgot to cancel it to avoid being charged. Found I had been charged the best part of £200. Had to phone up and get the money back in my account. Painful.

2. Dug a 1and1 email out of my spam folder saying "We are upgrading you & and we are going to bill you more for the upgraded service". First you cannot change a contracted service by email. Email does not have any guarantee of delivery. Second you cannot just increase price and change service without the consent of a customer. This is just not sane business practice. This is the biggest single reason I would not recommend 1and1. They have no respect for customers.

3. Money has become tighter and I found that they were billing me 1 year in advance for many of the their cheaper packages. I don't like that. In these tight times having 1and1 come along to ninja a larger amount of money out of my account than I was expecting was just too much.

They may have pioneered low cost hosting in the UK, but their focus shifted to making profit instead of focussing on making profit by serving customers. Shame.

Just closed two of my three accounts with them today. Getting 11 months of the 12 months they just charged me back hopefully. Still waiting for a response to the email I sent.

Will close the final account for one of my customers when I have arranged with them where to locate their domains and hosting.