Mechanism needs replacing after 7-10 years!

StephenMM's review of Junghans Mega Solar

“Mechanism needs replacing after 7-10 years!”

Written on: 09/12/2011 by StephenMM (1 review written)

My wife bought this for me as a birthday present about 8 years ago and I was expecting it to last for a long time. Earlier this year it started to lose time, and the shop where we bought it said it needed a new rechargeable battery - costing about 5x what a standard battery would have cost. It ran for two or three months after that and now no more.

My wife and I both called Junghans and got the same story: the (presumably extra lightweight) solar mechanism needs replacing AND THIS IS NORMAL AFTER 7-10 YEARS! Extra friction runs the battery down faster than it can charge. In addition I learned that the watch had been in stock at the jewelers for about 3 years and that that counted towards the "normal" lifetime.

This is not what we expected from a quality watchmaker - please stop making solar watches Junghans if you can't do better!

• Men's Watch

Type of Watch

Flyingpineapple's Response to StephenMM's Review

Written on: 12/03/2016

Hi
I had the same problem. I was looking at having to pay around £400 because the capacitor needed to be replaced. I hunted around and found DC Watchmakers in Exeter UK. He was very helpful and he managed to find a way into the watch, The glass has to be blown off through a hole in the back of the watch!. He found a capacitor from another watch, which with a small modification, fitted. He charged less than £100.
I would recommend him for any repair because he is interested to put some effort in, where others simply said 'No can do!'