A well-run pub that is going places

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

Horatius's review of The Star Inn, Llansoy

“A well-run pub that is going places”

Written on: 31/10/2011 by Horatius (1 review written)

My wife and I go walking in the area regularly, and since it re-opened we always look forward to a midday meal at The Star. This large pub is set in beautiful countryside and offers terrific views. You can enjoy these from the garden or from the spacious conservatory restaurant, or you can retreat to one of the snug areas near the bar on a cold day. You can count on a warm welcome, and be confident that the real ales will be top-notch, as the new landlord cares passionately about his beers, and runs a very hands-on business. The food service is a little slow, but that's because the food is being cooked for you, as you will find when you discover the chips are the real thing. How many pubs give you genuine freshly-cooked chips these days? This is not a gastropub, but I think most people will enjoy their meal, and the prices are very reasonable. It is very clean and well maintained, and is altogether a pleasant and relaxing experience. Currently, it is fairly quiet in the early part of the week, but gets much busier as the weekend approaches. Given the landlord's energy and determination to constantly improve every aspect of what the pub offers, I have no doubt that The Star will be CAMRA's Local Pub of the Year before too long. I live in Bristol, but the locals I have spoken to would agree with me, I think!

• Modern European

Food Type

• Several times a month

How often do you eat here?

• Suits all