Don't buy a Henry vacuum!!!!

• Durability

• Style

• Service & Support

Guest's review of Numatic Henry

Numatic Henry

“Don't buy a Henry vacuum!!!!”

Written on: 15/09/2011

I bought a Henry vacuum to replace our current Miele vacuum. The Miele is 7 yrs old, and although the motor is working fine, the door to it has come off and the attachments have been falling out - so I decided it was time for something different.

I have affectionate memories of Henry, since the cleaners at my primary school used to use one and so he reminds me of my old school and my childhood. I read lots of reviews on Amazon and on here, and the vast majority of them were excellent, so I went ahead and ordered one.

What a disaster.

The main problem is, as someone else has written here, that the hose part doesn't clip together with any clunk-click component - it just rams together. This means that it is 1) really hard to separate when you want to put an attachment on the end (you end up exerting so much effort just trying to take your vacuum apart) - and 2) when you DON'T want it to come apart (ie when you are vacuuming), it does - it just falls off in the middle of vacuuming, because all the little nudges and hits it has been taking whilst you've been vacuuming, have dislodged it.

The harder you ram it together so it doesn't fall apart when you don't want it to, the harder it is to get it apart when you DO want to put an attachment on it!

Furthermore, the nozzle on the hose is metal and not plastic. If you are vacuuming corners or skirting boards, and you don't want to use the brush attachment, just the nozzle, you are likely to damage the paintwork: Most other vacuums have plastic on the ends of their nozzles, which protects paint and wood from the metal. Not the Henry.

Finally, the hose is also very long and unwieldy.

Perhaps, if you were vacuuming large areas - like school corridors, open plan offices and so on - then you might like the Henry, because you would rarely be changing the attachments or using the metal nozzle, and the long hose would enable you to vacuum large areas quickly. The suction/motor itself seems powerful, and it doesn't get hot when working either.

However, for your average house (and ours is quite a small one), it is very impractical. I now don't know what to do - I cannot use it, yet I cannot return it, because it has been used once. I will probably donate it to a charity. What a waste of money.

I wanted to write this review because I read so many positive ones, and this is not an accurate reflection of the product. In short: DON'T BUY IT!

• 1 - 6 months

Owned Product For:

• Hose falls apart, is too long and unwieldy

Special Features

• Durability

• Style

• Service & Support

Judylugg's Comment

Written on: 08/10/2011

I do SO agree, see my review on the wretched theing!!

Guest's Comment

Written on: 04/11/2011

Firstly your theory that you need to \"ram the hose together\" is unnecessary and misleading! If you twist the poles into each other they fit easily and equally you can \"untwist\" them to seperate.
Your comment re: skirting boards etc and damaged paintwork is maybe because you have not found the plastic edging tool (as opposed to the brush) which is supplied with the hoover!!!!
The long hose is in my opinion an absolute godsend which allows me to hoover up the stairs, landing, hall and living/dining room without having to drag or carry a hoover body with me. (I live in an average sized home not large offices!)
Maybe you need to give this hoover a bit of time so you can adjust to its abilities!