disability students stay clear

• Libraries

• Nightlife

• Societies & Clubs

Guest's review of Open University www.open.ac.uk

“disability students stay clear”

Written on: 28/08/2013

the Open university don't care about disability students. I have first hand experience with this....if you make a complaint their procedure is to bully the student in to submission. I battled for my extra time in an exam due to dyslexia and wasn't given it. I only found that out at the end of the exam, this shocked me as I had sent away all the documentation, filled out tons of paper work and even spoke to the learning support directly....exam time came and nothing!....I asked about it and it was my fault.

• presently

Attended (from - to)

• IT Facilities

Dynoblue's Comment

Written on: 29/08/2013

Yes!!! exactly..... couldn't of said it better myself they only care about their image! they do not care about their students well being! as long as you pay the money then your left...don't get my wrong the only saving grace was my tutor for MST121 she was lovely..but the MST121 materials were design my MFI a furniture manual company...when I was doing it a lot of students were having a hard time understanding the course books...OU just said tough luck! they already had our money and have met targets...who cares about the students...a tutor even agreed with me as he has had trouble with the upstairs bosses..... they paid for their image as a University!

Issibelle's Comment

Written on: 19/09/2013

I respectfully disagree. My experience as a disabled student has been nothing but excellent. I've been granted extensions when I need them, my tutors are well informed of my situation and are very understanding. I'm soon to do my first exam with them, which has been arranged so I can take it from home, and i've also been allowed rest breaks, and to use a computer.

If it wasn't for the OU I'd be unable to continue my education, having found myself too unwell to cope with full time education at a traditional college/uni, and i'm about to start my fourth module with them.